Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thundermax ECM Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 03:27 AM
Hal64hd
Road Master

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jmr1971
One issue I am having is that it's behaving a little strange while rolling on the throttle in 1st gear, but it's a small complaint when compared to what it was doing before the re-map. Another issue/problem is that ever since I put the T-max in, my speedo konks out on my quite a bit. I'm riding and all of a sudden the speedo will just "shut off" and the needle drops to 0. And then of course my turn signals don't shut off automatically and the odo doesn't move. I have a recalibration module on the bike, but now that's not working at all for some reason.

Any thoughts on why my speedo stops working so often?

Any/all comments are welcomed and appreciated! Time for another test ride....
You stated that you have a speedo recalibration module? That might be your problem with the speedo. The Thundermax has a calibrator built in and you do not need a external calibrator. The speedo calibration is adjusted through The Thundermax software

Old 04-25-2014, 06:05 AM
jmr1971
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hal64hd
You stated that you have a speedo recalibration module? That might be your problem with the speedo. The Thundermax has a calibrator built in and you do not need a external calibrator. The speedo calibration is adjusted through The Thundermax software
Yeah, the speedo will work for a while then drop to 0. I have used the recalibration module a few times and it then will go back to working. I tried to use it again recently but it didn't do anything. I guess I can see about getting it removed. Can't make the situation worse I suppose.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:50 AM
Hal64hd
Road Master

It is altering the signal that the Thundermax uses. Just unplug it and plug the original harness end back in. The calibration in the software is in the module setting window and easy to configure especially with a GPS Handy

Old 04-25-2014, 09:13 AM
jmr1971
Tourer

It is altering the signal that the Thundermax uses. Just unplug it and plug the original harness end back in. The calibration in the software is in the module setting window and easy to configure especially with a GPS Handy
Ok, thanks. Helpful. I have a combo speedo/tac, and the tac works just fine.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:19 PM
jmr1971
Tourer

And a general Thundermax question. Sorry if it's already been adequately explained and I'm just not picking it up quickly, but Autotune....does this product/feature automatically tune or adjust as I ride to optimize or improve the base tune, or do I still need to go back in using the Smartlink software and do something to the t-max ECM to do that? And if the answer is YES, it does automatically do it as a I ride, is my t-max ECM "learning" that updated tune or each time I shut it off and crank it back up do I lose that and go back to the base tune that I mapped to the bike initially?

Old 04-25-2014, 07:16 PM
Boost
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmr1971
And a general Thundermax question. Sorry if it's already been adequately explained and I'm just not picking it up quickly, but Autotune....does this product/feature automatically tune or adjust as I ride to optimize or improve the base tune, or do I still need to go back in using the Smartlink software and do something to the t-max ECM to do that? And if the answer is YES, it does automatically do it as a I ride, is my t-max ECM "learning" that updated tune or each time I shut it off and crank it back up do I lose that and go back to the base tune that I mapped to the bike initially?
The Auto tune will learn and apply AFR corrections (offsets) as you ride and saves them so it does not need to relearn them. It does not automatically write the learned AFR corrections to the map. You will need to run the auto map function in order to write them to the map.

I run the auto map function at 50 mile intervals (2 or 3 times) after I load a new tune or modify a tune. Very easy to do.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:06 PM
jmr1971
Tourer

All right, I disconnected the recalibration unit and re-connected the original plugs.....but now there's still a red wire going from the calibration unit to the data port on the bike. Just snip it?

Old 05-02-2014, 03:15 PM
Hal64hd
Road Master

It should just unplug from the data port. The data port is normally open with nothing plugged into it

Old 05-07-2014, 11:13 AM
jmr1971
Tourer

It should just unplug from the data port. The data port is normally open with nothing plugged into it
There was a red wire running from the Revtech speedo calibration unit directly to the data port. This was after I unplugged the calibration unit from the speed sensor. Anyway, I snipped the wire and was able to get the speedo reading properly using the calibrator in the t-max. It ran really weird at first when I typed in the right code after gauging true speed with GPS, but after a few minutes the t-max got things smoothed out. So far, so good.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:28 PM
stan60
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone used the "timing vs. engine temp" to eliminate ping? I know this is the most simple method, but it seemed to work for me. As the temp, and the wind, has come up here in Oklahoma, almost 100 F the other day, I started to get some pretty good ping under a load. I ended up retarding 3 degrees to get it gone utilizing the timing vs. engine temp. After I got rid of the ping, I then went in and leaned up my cruise ranges a little to 13.8/1. The bike is running stronger now than it has since I had the upgrades done.

Quick Reply: Thundermax ECM Thread