Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Fuel supply issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Racer_Rick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel supply issues

I'm having some. Went out & it died in a mile yesterday, about 10 miles today. I have changed to a Pingel petcock & opened the vent hole in the gas cap. The fuel line runsbetween the rockers into the carb with a big "U" in it. I can blow into the tank & off it goes again. Every time I look the filter is empty. Any clues? Maybe vapor lock? I really love this scooter but I'm about at the end of my rope here

Old 03-13-2008, 07:23 AM
irondude
Advanced
Default RE: Fuel supply issues

I would check the float, and maybe a carb kit.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Racer_Rick
Cruiser

Should have elaborated. Carb & engine are new, about 500-750 miles. The filter empties out whenever it acts the fool & I have to pull over & blow the tank like a $5 ***** to get it to get fuel again. Embarrassing to say the least

Old 03-13-2008, 03:36 PM
supr2nr
Tourer

Is the new petcock gravity feed or vacum feed? I do believe that the O.E. was gravity. Since it looks like you have a fat bob tank then it will have vent holes in the right hand gas cap effictively working around the principle of a vacum.

Pingel's site is so slow its hard to see what all they have. Might be easier if you can remember what model petcock it was that you bought.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Racer_Rick
Cruiser

I got the petcock in a box of spare parts, it's a gravity feed. Thinking about a vacuum operated fuel pump.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:40 AM
nemesistech
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Few things to try, let it run till it dies. Pull the line off the carb to see if fuel will drain out. If not, pop the cap off the tank, see if fuel comes out then. Blow thru the gas line back to the tank and see if fuel starts to flow ...make sure there isnt any crap clogging the filter or lines or junk in the fuel.Did the petcock have a filter on it? are there vacuum ports on the tank? ... make sure the half of the tank that has the petcock has plenty of fuel, I have seen people use tanks, with no x-over, and the fill is not on the petcock side, even though the tank looked like it had fuel, the side with the petcock was low or empty.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Racer_Rick
Cruiser

If you don't blow into the tank, it won't pick up fuel again,unless you remove the line.Crossover is clean & working (wasn't when I bought it), petcock has a filter. It acts like the needle valve in the carb sticks closed when it's out of fuel, kind of like my race car does if you run it out of fuel. The pump is higher than the cell & I have to pressurize it to pick up fuel. I've had the carb off & apart & there's nothing there either. Does someone make a different fuel fitting for an S&S carb? Mine comes straight down & requires me to loop itdown to the engine & back up again.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:15 AM
nemesistech
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When it acts up, pull the fuel line off the carb. If fuel comes flowing out, then you know you probally have an issue in your carb, if no fuel, issue wih the feed or tank. If its in the carb, put the fuel line back on, pull the bowl and make sure that you are getting fuel to the bowl and that your float and needle are working.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Racer_Rick
Cruiser

Did it again after 4 miles. Pulled the hose since the filter was empty & fuel flowed out like it had a pump. Pulled the bowl & the needle & seat are perfect. I'm beginning to think it needs the big loop removed from the fuel line. Anyone know if someone makes a different fuel fitting for an S&S Super E? Mine points straight down & I think it needs a banjo fitting there. Thoughts?

Old 03-19-2008, 09:32 PM
irondude
Advanced

Why do you have a loop in it? That seems like to me the problem. I have the super E as well with no sharp bends- the filters between the jugs.

[IMG]local://upfiles/46670/E29DF1D5B0C147B8A248CBFDBE9AEFE3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/46670/F8BE26FBA60846DCB1B8B24843F19263.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Fuel supply issues