Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Smoking Ironhead

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 04:24 PM
dtimekw
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Smoking Ironhead

Newbie here in the ironhead section. I just bought a 79 XLH to wrench on and to keep my hands OFF my Train.............for now [sm=badidea.gif]

Cleaned the carb, flushed the tank, changed oil, compression was 130 psi on both holes.... and to my surprise it fired up! I have quite a bit of smoke coming out of the crankcase vent (near the generator?) once it warms up. According to the service manual, this connects up to the air box which of course no longer exists. How common is this and what do you think it is? On a car, it usually indicates blowby but want to make sure since I am not familiar with this oiling system or the motor itself [sm=helpout.gif]

What a rush though to hear this thing for the first time!!!

Thanks and I am sure I'll be asking more questions as I go thru the bike.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:16 PM
fergerburger
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts
Default RE: Smoking Ironhead

what color is the smoke? that is the crank breather vent and it should puff/vent crankcase air under normal conditions....are you sure its smoking from the tube and not from the exhaust where some oil mist is blowing onto the pipe from the vent....make sure the vent is directed away from the pipe.....

although I own a 71 so yours could be different

Old 06-04-2008, 07:25 PM
dtimekw
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Smoking Ironhead

No, it's coming right out of the vent. Seems like the color/smell is more like exhaust than buring oil. I think it's running rich but still playing with it. Also finding unburned oil coming out of the back pipe ( pulled pipe and saw oil around the valve stem). During the running inspection, also noted the front cylinder is running over 100 degrees hotter than the back cylinder, any reason why? Oil pressure light goes out when I start it, since the pushrod tubes leak a bit, I'll assume both heads are getting oiled, any ideas? Thanks!