Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

not charging

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 04:28 PM
sugarplum247
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default not charging

ive got trouble i got my 76 xlh fired up isnt charging took gen apart and cleaned looked good after reading straydogs post i rewired the intire bike and didnt put a diode between v.r and gen light i dont know about v.r iether bought this thing in boxes soon as i crack the throttle gen light comes on i did polarize it got a faint clunk and a spark im lost

Old 03-18-2009, 05:21 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

no one has to say anything i will...i may not be the guy you should be listening to.with every little problem i have i learn alot from.thats why most of my post/answers are just me rambling about some problem letting them see what happened to me...what i did...what happened next etc.i probably need to pay closer attention to things i say here as i dont want to give false info.this is my first harley of any kind...i use to have crotches that i basically got on and went...so dont take anything i say as gospel.
that being said...did i say not to put a diode in between the gen lite and v.reg?(sounds like it but i m not being a smarta@@) i cant remember saying that.without a diode as i understand it your gen lite should come on and stay on as juice is running "backwards".if you had a diode it would only flow one way....and that would be when no/low voltage is happening.if that doesnt make sense someone else should be along and answer that better or tell me i am wrong.
you may be charging just fine.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:36 PM
sugarplum247
Cruiser

no u didnt say that i read your post and realized that i didnt put a diode in the system i missed it on my wiring diagram this is my first H-D also i was a crotch rocket man until now any idea what type of doide i need

Old 03-18-2009, 06:18 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

As far as charging 2 items the generator and the regulator Have someone versed on generator repairs check it out OR buy a new generator Also change the volt reg !!

Old 03-18-2009, 06:27 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member

are you sure its not charging or are you just assuming it isnt because the charge lite is on?

Old 03-18-2009, 06:32 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarplum247
ive got trouble i got my 76 xlh fired up isnt charging took gen apart and cleaned looked good after reading straydogs post i rewired the intire bike and didnt put a diode between v.r and gen light i dont know about v.r iether bought this thing in boxes soon as i crack the throttle gen light comes on i did polarize it got a faint clunk and a spark im lost
I am not certain that I understand your problem, but it sounds like your generator is not producing.

There are ways to test the generator output without removing it from the machine.

First however, you want to check the generator warning light to make certain this light (or it's electrical circuit) is not grounded.

This is how you do that:
1) Remove the wire(s) from the regulator terminal marked 'D+' (or the 'GEN' terminal on a Delco-Remy regulator)
2) Lay the wire, or wires away from any type of ground on the motorcycle. Just so no contact is made between the wires and the bike.
3) Turn on the ignition on.
4) If the generator light comes on it means you have a ground condition. If the circuit is grounded this problem has to be fixed before you go further.
5) If however, the generator light does not come on, then the light and it's circuit is OK and the next step is going to address the generator for finding the problem.
More info on that later if you need it.............. pg

Old 03-18-2009, 06:44 PM
sugarplum247
Cruiser

not sure straydog when bike is running i only get 12.52 at batt with my volt meter and light comes on so im not sure and thanks pinion ill check to see if i may be grounded i know i didnt put a diode in line to the light

Old 03-18-2009, 06:58 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member

how much are you getting with it revved?

Old 03-18-2009, 07:03 PM
sugarplum247
Cruiser

the same no change

Old 03-18-2009, 07:11 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarplum247
not sure straydog when bike is running i only get 12.52 at batt with my volt meter and light comes on so im not sure and thanks pinion ill check to see if i may be grounded i know i didnt put a diode in line to the light
I would not be concerned with having no diode. That is not a big deal or very important, for that matter.

If you are using a voltmeter at the battery connections, what are you expecting to see except what the battery voltage currently is?
The battery voltage is 12.52 volts which tells us your battery is charged. Can't get any better than 13V.

It does not indicate if the generator is charging or not. There is a test procedure for that, and you have to use a zero to 30amp ammeter to do the test.
You can buy an ammeter at the auto parts house for a few bucks. You want the small ammeter like goes under the dash next to the temp and oil gauges.............. pg

Quick Reply: not charging