Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Starter Relay

Old 04-06-2009, 05:26 PM
inthamix
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Relay

I have a 76 Ironhead, the starter relay wont engage on its own. I have an old rectangle relay with the numbers 1,2 and 3. I have the #1 tied into the battery along with the battery wire on the voltage regulator. I have the # 2 wire goin to the starter cylenoid and the # 3 wire is going to one side of the starter button, the other side of the starter button is connected to the hot side of the run switch. I can push the trigger on the relay with my hand and start the bike but when i push the starter button the wire gets real hot and the relay doesnt activate. Would you please help me with this issue, iam not using a harness so i need this in a simplified manner. I wired the rest of the bike and all is well. I am just having an issue with this dam starter relay, thanks for your time.

Last edited by inthamix; 04-06-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:29 PM
djwhaley
Road Captain

Get rid of that part and use a ford starter relay. I did this to my ironhead after always replacing the harley part and have had no problems in 9 years.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:59 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

i agree on the ford relay. the ford relay has 2 small posts, just use the one that is in the same position as the harley relay. the other small post is not used.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:21 PM
inthamix
Intermediate

What year and model of ford relay did you get?
How does this relay wire in compared to the old relay? How is the relay activated? I have never wired in a 2 post relay before, thanks. I think i know which relay youre talking about. It has 2 large posts on the outside and 2 small posts in the middle is that correct?

Last edited by inthamix; 04-06-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:24 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by inthamix
I have a 76 Ironhead, the starter relay wont engage on its own. I have an old rectangle relay with the numbers 1,2 and 3. I have the #1 tied into the battery along with the battery wire on the voltage regulator. I have the # 2 wire goin to the starter cylenoid and the # 3 wire is going to one side of the starter button, the other side of the starter button is connected to the hot side of the run switch. I can push the trigger on the relay with my hand and start the bike but when i push the starter button the wire gets real hot and the relay doesnt activate. Would you please help me with this issue, iam not using a harness so i need this in a simplified manner. I wired the rest of the bike and all is well. I am just having an issue with this dam starter relay, thanks for your time.
An automobile relay is not the way to go. God awful big and it just junks up the machine.

Here are where the wires go on the numbered terminals of the relay:

Terminal #1--- Red wire attached to the #1 starter relay terminal goes to the 'BATT' connection of the voltage regulator.

Terminal #2--- Green wire attached to the #2 starter relay terminal goes to the small connection on the starter solenoid.

Terminal #3--- Black wire attached to the #3 starter relay terminal goes to the starter button.

Here is a wiring diagram for you.......... pg

Old 04-07-2009, 08:48 AM
inthamix
Intermediate

That is exactly how i wired the bike but when i push the start button the relay doesnt engage and the wire gets real hot could it just be a bad relay?

Old 04-07-2009, 09:31 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That is exactly how i wired the bike but when i push the start button the relay doesnt engage and the wire gets real hot could it just be a bad relay?
That is what it sounds like. Buy a new relay and try that.
Here is what the relay looks like inside, circuit wise.
If I have previously given you this, here is another copy........ pg

Old 04-07-2009, 10:31 AM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 597 Likes on 306 Posts

Sounds to me like you either have a bad relay or your wire coming off the button is pinched or shorted to ground somewhere. Check for a short before you get a new relay.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:43 AM
inthamix
Intermediate

I took the wire goin to my starter button out of my frame so its not pinched, if i am correct, the starter button jumps of off the rocket switch and gives the starter button voltage right? Then when i push the button that sends voltage to the relay which in returns close the magnets an sends voltage to the starter. I have the old rectangle relay on my bike is that the incorrect relay for a 1976 Ironhead?

Old 04-07-2009, 12:58 PM
djwhaley
Road Captain

What year and model of ford relay did you get?
How does this relay wire in compared to the old relay? How is the relay activated? I have never wired in a 2 post relay before, thanks. I think i know which relay youre talking about. It has 2 large posts on the outside and 2 small posts in the middle is that correct?
Yep thats the one I have it mounted under my battery tray you cant even notice it. I dont know how it junks up the motor been using it for years with no issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter Relay