Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Magneto tachometer cable problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 04:51 PM
calabeast
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magneto tachometer cable problem

My magneto currently sits in a position so that it would be impossible to install the tach. cable into it. I have tried to pull the mag out of the crankcase and shift it 1 gear so it wouldn't rotate as far, however I couldn't get it started so I moved it back to the original location (shown in the pic). Can someone tell me how to fix this? I know the pic is kinda hard to see but look at the location of the tach cable opening in comparison to the engine block.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:10 PM
calabeast
Advanced

Anyone...Bueller...Bueller...HOpefully this isn't a stupid question, Can anyone tell me if my Magneto is sitting in the proper location (rotationwise)? I would like to hook up my drag speacalties tach, but there is no way to squeeze the cable into the tach opening on the magneto.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:39 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by calabeast
Anyone...Bueller...Bueller...HOpefully this isn't a stupid question, Can anyone tell me if my Magneto is sitting in the proper location (rotationwise)? I would like to hook up my drag speacalties tach, but there is no way to squeeze the cable into the tach opening on the magneto.
Not a dumb question at all.
I imagine the reason you have not received more response is because there are few of us out here who are familiar with a magneto equipped Sporty. Speaking for myself, it has been years....no, make that decades since I had my hands on a magneto XLCH.

Your bike is a 1966, correct?
If so, then it should have the control arm and spark retard feature, rather than the fixed magneto that was on 1964 and earlier machines.
This feature has a cable coming from the left handle bar having a twist grip to retard the spark.

You should have an inner and an outer adapter plate under the mag. These two items are installed together at the same time.
Next insert the (2) adapter to mag mounting bolts.

The mag goes on next. All you do here is insert the shaft until it engages and then the mag sits down on the adapter plate and control arm and the mounting bolts go through the control arm and get nuts fastened to them.

The mag should travel through the range of rotation from full retard to full advance.
Finally, I remember that tach cable was always a very tight fit to get it to work. My memory dims regarding exactly how I got it all together, because as I said it has been many years.
You may want to try attaching the tach cable to the mag first, then install it into the hole. I do remember it is a devil of a fit but it should go. The cable comes off the mag base at a quirky angle pointing toward the engine. This is what makes the attachment such a pain.
I wish I could provide better help on the matter but this is about all I can offer. Good luck with it.
pg

Old 02-03-2010, 01:03 PM
calabeast
Advanced

Thanks pinion. I am going to analyze my owners manual and parts catalog to see what plates or parts I could be missing. My mag is not fixed and it does rotate, but I do not have any assembly or parts allowing it to be rotated from a twist grip or choke type cable...currently, the to only way to rotate it is to grab it with your hands and slide it forward or back.

The twist grip you mention is interesting. Do you believe that it was located on the grip because re-adjusting the mag was a constant juggling act? I was hoping that I could simply reach down under the carb and adjust it ....without any cables.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:13 PM
gunnut1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mag twist grip was a mirror image of the throttle one,years ago if you wanted to change from a throttle that pushed to one that pulled you just put the mag one on the right side and you had it. Pinion will probably remember this also, for some reason I saw a lot of these that the Mag had been locked down like the old ones.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:26 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks pinion. I am going to analyze my owners manual and parts catalog to see what plates or parts I could be missing. My mag is not fixed and it does rotate, but I do not have any assembly or parts allowing it to be rotated from a twist grip or choke type cable...currently, the to only way to rotate it is to grab it with your hands and slide it forward or back.

The twist grip you mention is interesting. Do you believe that it was located on the grip because re-adjusting the mag was a constant juggling act? I was hoping that I could simply reach down under the carb and adjust it ....without any cables.
You can certainly reach down and move the mag with your hand. No cable or twist grip is needed.
There are a number of parts involved in this. If you have a parts catalog, all will be shown. Let me know if you need this information.

I was only talking about how the bike was originally equipped.
Originally it came with the two-piece 1 inch diameter handlebars.
Each handlebar end had a twist grip on it.
Right side was the throttle and left side was the spark retard. Both of these items used the enclosed hard wire cable.
I still use this type of handlebar and cable on my 1971, but because a 1971 had no mag, the spark retard was not used on my machine.

Both the throttle and the spark retard twist grips used the same internal parts with one exception...... The 'twisted' metal strip (cam) on the spark side was twisted in the reverse direction from that on the throttle side.
The reason being because of the direction the cables move when the grips are turned. Both sides pull the cable, but since one is on the right and the other is on the left it required a 'cam' twisted in the opposite direction.
pg

Old 02-03-2010, 01:38 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by gunnut1
The mag twist grip was a mirror image of the throttle one,years ago if you wanted to change from a throttle that pushed to one that pulled you just put the mag one on the right side and you had it. Pinion will probably remember this also, for some reason I saw a lot of these that the Mag had been locked down like the old ones.
Hey gunnut1.......
Correct. They were locked down because you really don't need to retard the spark to start these machines.
Magneto equipped XLCH machines made in 1964 and earlier had a fixed mount on the mag base. No retarding was possible with those.
Maybe the factory installed the retard to attract the 'Wuss' to a little easier starting, but it was not ever needed in my view.

Now if we were talking about something like a 500cc BSA Gold Star single here I would say there was a great advantage on having a retard on a machine like that. Those old singles would certainly kick back with a full advance when starting and at times almost put you over the handlebars. I have never seen a Sportster that did that. All they will do is deliver the 'Super Extended Kneecap' to you if you were not careful to make certain all is engaged when you come down on the kickstart lever.
pg

Old 02-05-2010, 08:38 AM
calabeast
Advanced

Here is a little bit better picture of the Magneto. I don't have one of the font side showing the opening, but this should give you a good idea as to what plates I have installed. There are 2 plates. One plate fits inside the other. Once I have the outside plate tightened down, the inside plate will still rotate for advancing or retarding the timing. ..It seemed like I was zoomed in more when I was taking the picture...

Another thing that I am going to have to do is make a carb support bracket. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to make one so I can still rotate the mag? I know that the carb support bracket on the 77 iron in my garage will not work.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:24 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Here is a little bit better picture of the Magneto. I don't have one of the font side showing the opening, but this should give you a good idea as to what plates I have installed. There are 2 plates. One plate fits inside the other. Once I have the outside plate tightened down, the inside plate will still rotate for advancing or retarding the timing. ..It seemed like I was zoomed in more when I was taking the picture...

Another thing that I am going to have to do is make a carb support bracket. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to make one so I can still rotate the mag? I know that the carb support bracket on the 77 iron in my garage will not work.

Well, I have to tell you that looking at this pic I believe you have the mag rotated too far outward at the back end. From what I recall the mag position was almost parallel with the engine/timing cover, with the key pointing straight outward.
Can't you rotate the mag one tooth clockwise?

As you have it mounted, I do not think it will ever be possible to get the tach cable attached and clear of the cylinder, pushrod tubes, etc.

You may have the parts breakdown, but if not here is a copy.

The early XLCH (1964 and earlier) had the mag mounted with a fixed position.
1965 and later was mounted with a movable mounting.

Now as far as the carb brace goes all you need to do is take a piece of 3/4 inch by 1/8 inch thick steel strap and bend it to where it misses the items in the way.
The strap will connect to the backside of the air cleaner plate at the top and to one of the lifter base bolts at the bottom. This bolt will have a stud on the top of it. (Rear bolt on the front intake lifter base)

Yours will obviously follow a different path than mine to miss the magneto.
pg

Old 02-06-2010, 08:57 AM
calabeast
Advanced

Pinion....as usual your the man with the answers. I also thought that the mag looked like it should be more parallel with the bike now you've confirmed it. When I break it down for paint I'll try to get it set more accurate. As for the bracket, hopefully I can make something work. I just got a new floor drill press and 5" vice (thank you tax returns). I've had my eye on both for a while and it looks like this will probably be my first project. All I need now is the kid to take a nap or the women to give me some time in the garage.

I am also going to try and cut and modify the original chain guard to fit. It seems dangerous to me to have that long of a chain with a seat so close to it, and no guard. Anyone got pics of chain guard mounted on a hardtail?

Quick Reply: Magneto tachometer cable problem