Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

New Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 05:36 PM
dirty78ironhead
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Stuff

Getting ready to order some new parts to complete the winter rebuild and need some advice. So here ar the questions and parts i am considering ...

1) Electrnoic ignition , I am looking to buy a kit with all of the parts inclued. I was looking at the HI-4 or the Dyna but them i saw a Mallory breakerless set up. I have to buy a new coil for sure any way so i thought i would upgrade from points as well. I could use some help to make sure i get the right part and the best part for the $ . Or just run points? Is the upgrade worth the $300 to $400 for these kits .

2) I have my coil mounted under the seat so I used so univeral plug wires as I need the longer length. Not sure that I can use my current plug wires? is there a diffrent wire for an electrnic ignition?

Thanks
T-Ron

Old 01-09-2011, 08:41 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Check out the Ultima kit. It is the same as one of the other models [Dyna i think] but lower cost. It is a very popular choice.

http://www.ultimaproducts.com/programmableignition.html

Old 01-09-2011, 09:31 PM
dirty78ironhead
Tourer

Thanks Mick. I saw on anther board some one asking for a pic of your coil mount. The pic is gone can you repost here?

Thanks
T-Ron

Old 01-09-2011, 09:52 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

Here it is, almost final install - wires not set up correctly yet ...

There is a standard clamp attached to the frame using the two hose clamps. I do not know the name or part number of this clamp - i got it from my indie. Then there is the home made part, then the coil itself.

The problem i had with the Ultima coil is that i sometimes run a Roadster tank. It hangs down lower than the King/Peanut tanks, and the ultima would not install in the stock location. They say that this single fire coil is the same dimensions as the stock coil, but it is not. It is square rather than round so it is in fact bigger.

Note how close it is to the rocker cover bolt. It was very tedious for me to get it to fit in with space all around. May not be a problem with a King or Peanut tank.

And here is the Ultima installed ...

Old 01-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Robicycle
Intermediate

Nice ignition system. What exactly do the Dip switches modify Mick?

Old 01-10-2011, 06:38 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

With the DIP switches you can set the RPM limiter between 5500 and 7000, choose single vs dual fire, choose a VOES mode, and select 1 of 4 advance curves.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:11 PM
mustangwagz
Advanced

now THAT would be right up my alley mick! sounds like it'd be cool to tinker with!

Old 01-10-2011, 09:22 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

I have the RPM limit set at either 5500 or 6000, i just forget which.

The VOES setting is unusual - it does not indicate whether you have one installed or not; the setting is used only in some racing applications and affects the way the VOES signal is interpreted by the unit, if you have one installed.

I run single fire which has significant advantages over dual fire.

I experimented with the curves to eliminate pinging. In the end i installed a VOES, retarded the timing from 38` which was the static setting to 35`, and run on curve 1. The other 3 curves resulted in less and less performance.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Robicycle
Intermediate

Mick, now forgive me if I am wrong but you can set it so that both plugs don't fire at the same time? Isn't that part of how the egine works stoc?-one is firing when it should and the other is firing on the exhaust stroke? Not trying to get off topic just looking for some clarification. Either way, I will put this unit on my list as I would like something like this.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:37 AM
shepdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock they do run a "wasted spark system" they do in fact fire on every stroke intake and exhaust, the single fire systems smooth out the motor somewhat, i would also think that the whole system would run cooler

Quick Reply: New Stuff