Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Almost done tearing it down, help me out.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 03:20 PM
its-an-old-thrasher
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost done tearing it down, help me out.

Thanks for stoping by. I got a 77 ironhead on a rigid frame that I am tearing down to repain the frame. I have most of it done and just need a few things. 1 First can a generator be polarized too many times? I am re-wiring the bike while I have it apart and was wondering if I should just wait till I am done with the entire wire job to do it?
2. There is a an internal threaded sleeve at the top of fork center post. It requires a spanner wrench. Is it for adjusting the bearing tension or something else?
3. To bleed down the lifters before pushrod adjustment do you simply wait a while after finding top dead center? Or how do I get it down without having to wait forever?
4. Do I have to do anything else special or oil up the lifters before bleeding them down?
5. I pulled the primary off and the shifter shaft can move in a wide circle is that normal or is there too much play there? Also does the shaft need to be in any certain position before puting the cover back on?
6. Can the cylinder base, head, and rocker gasket be assembled with a little bearing grease rather than gasket adhesive? A buddy did it on his old guzzu and it worked out nice so wondered if I could do the same.
Thanks guys. Number the responses so I can figure it all out man. The more responses the better

Old 01-13-2011, 06:00 PM
shepdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 polorize the gen when you are completely done and the bike is running again,2 cant help you on the front end, 3 lifters are solid so there is no bleading them down, just adjust as per the fsn, 4, same answer as #3 solid lifters, 5not sure on your 77 i havent messed with one that lod lol(isnt there a bushing in the cover that suports the shaft?, as far as the sealant goes i wouldnt use grease dont think it would like the heat very well, i use indianhead sealant or a copper spray gasket sealer, i like the copper spray th best, doesnt make such a mess and heat doesnt bother it at all

Old 01-13-2011, 06:00 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1) no, yes
2)fork center post? triple trees, right? I think the answer is yes if we are thinking the same.
3)Do your adjustments on a cold motor, and when the pushrod is at it's lowest position. You don't have to wait the valve spring will push it down. Make sure the pushrods are still finger loose as they will expand when they get hot. Double check your work...even compression check, if you can. Then check again after a short ride.
4) assembly lube if you are doing a rebuild with clean parts or new parts
5) It will move but it shouldn't move in a 'wide' circle...the primary cover will provide additional support for it though; no, but when you put on the foot pedal lever you will want to find your center so it shifts properly when you move it.
6) no, well...if you want too, but, the Mo Co didn't use anything when they built it and it lasted this long. The head gasket is copper and you shouldn't use anything...but check to be sure the holes for the oil are not blocked by the gasket at all. They often do and my need a little trimming with a dremel.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:02 PM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need a factory service manual first.

1. why not wait till it is wired?
2. it holds the front end on, I need to look at my manual for torque
3. solid lifters
4. solid lifters
6. gaskets, probably dry

You NEED a Manual