Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'17 SGS 1k fluid changes

Old 04-01-2017, 09:13 PM
Mhenry1282
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default '17 SGS 1k fluid changes

I'm going to start out by saying that I've done most maintenance on all my vehicles (motorcycles, cars, trucks, and boat) since 15 years old, so I am somewhat mechanically inclined. I should have gotten the service manual, and will next time I'm at a shop! But, to my question, are there any write ups on the 3 hole fluid changes? I'm used to one oil and plug for the engine, tranny, and primary. First HD here. Looked under it today for the first time, and the oil drain plug looks to be an Allen head, is that it?? The primary and trans were easy to spot.

Had the bike for 2 weeks and need to do the fluid changes before a ride tomorrow. I'm at 960 miles, and would rather do it before the 1k mile marker. If anybody has any videos or pics, they'd be greatly appreciated! I've searched Google and youtube. Tons for all previous motors, but couldn't find anything on the 107's.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:28 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,408 Likes on 1,565 Posts

All Three drain plugs are 5/8" hex head. The Primary is simple, on the left side just under the Primary just below the derby cover. The Transmission is just forward of the Primary in a little more under the engine and transmission facing downward. The Engine is just in front of the Transmission but it is facing Forward. All can be done from the left side of the bike.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:28 PM
Bruesw
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mhenry1282

Had the bike for 2 weeks and need to do the fluid changes before a ride tomorrow. I'm at 960 miles,
Don't have your answer but I think I have to move down south. I have had mine for 2 weeks and I have 1 mile on it.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:37 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,500 Likes on 4,412 Posts

I should have gotten the service manual, and will next time I'm at a shop! But, to my question, are there any write ups on the 3 hole fluid changes?
congrats and welcome! the best 'write up' is right there in the 'Owners' Manual for all the basic services..

The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (04-02-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 01:47 AM
A206Driver
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm going to start out by saying that I've done most maintenance on all my vehicles (motorcycles, cars, trucks, and boat) since 15 years old, so I am somewhat mechanically inclined. I should have gotten the service manual, and will next time I'm at a shop! But, to my question, are there any write ups on the 3 hole fluid changes? I'm used to one oil and plug for the engine, tranny, and primary. First HD here. Looked under it today for the first time, and the oil drain plug looks to be an Allen head, is that it?? The primary and trans were easy to spot.

Had the bike for 2 weeks and need to do the fluid changes before a ride tomorrow. I'm at 960 miles, and would rather do it before the 1k mile marker. If anybody has any videos or pics, they'd be greatly appreciated! I've searched Google and youtube. Tons for all previous motors, but couldn't find anything on the 107's.
This checklist should help you out. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...checklist.html

Old 04-02-2017, 06:47 AM
WildX
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The Transmission one is hard to see. I suggest you you-tube it

Old 04-02-2017, 08:06 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

I did my own oil change at 1000 miles like mjwebb said i would get a owners manual. I called Harley Davidson about servicing my own bike my dealer informed me they have to preform all service, or i void my warranty. Thay were lying was told as long as I performed all maintenance using Harley's Service Manual everything would be fine. Also document all your work and save your receipts. First thing i did buy a service manual best 70 bucks a spend in a long time.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:16 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,560 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Originally Posted by PDB17UltraRG
I did my own oil change at 1000 miles like mjwebb said i would get a owners manual. I called Harley Davidson about servicing my own bike my dealer informed me they have to preform all service, or i void my warranty. Thay were lying was told as long as I performed all maintenance using Harley's Service Manual everything would be fine. Also document all your work and save your receipts. First thing i did buy a service manual best 70 bucks a spend in a long time.
I would like the name of the Dealer that told you they had to preform all services. First I doubt it it was said ,but in case it was by some fool that works there I would like to contact them myself. You do not have to document anything or save any receipts, that is all old internet BS. Anyone that tells you different is full of internet crap. Time comes to end the myth and hype.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:23 AM
Mhenry1282
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I will be getting the service manual, just didn't plan ahead enough for this. I told the dealer I was going to do the fluid changes, and have them do the inspection. They asked why, but didn't give me any grief about it.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:04 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,500 Likes on 4,412 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
I would like the name of the Dealer that told you they had to preform all services. First I doubt it it was said ,but in case it was by some fool that works there I would like to contact them myself. You do not have to document anything or save any receipts, that is all old internet BS. Anyone that tells you different is full of internet crap. Time comes to end the myth and hype.
no kidding.geesh..warranty claims are based on what exactly failed..unless your fluids were neglected and black as coal there's no way they're going to play the neglect card

The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (04-02-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '17 SGS 1k fluid changes