Sponsored by:

Milwaukee 8 oil problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 12:38 PM
Harsh9099
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Milwaukee 8 oil problems

My 2017 Road Glide has done 12,500 miles. I took the delivery from the dealer at 0 miles. I got the third service done and that all the services and every accessory on the bike is genuine HD be it a mechanical part or any other. Only the Fuelpak and exhaust is not HD. My bike is continuously burning oil and the oil level comes down to approx 2L from the actual 5L in as low as 3000 miles. The service station is unable to rectify the problem and every long ride I go on I’m scared for the oil levels. The transmission oil is depleting rapidly as well. It’s worrying me as HD India won’t give me a proper solution and my engine and it’s internal components are at risk. Tuning issues was my doubt but I’m running the bike stick for quite sometime now and the problem persists. Please help!

Old 11-13-2017, 01:42 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts

Um I cant really help but you need to keep taking to the dealer until your issue is fixed. It looks like the motor is burning 1L of oil per 1000 miles, which might be normal. If the dealership service center cant help, then you might just have to carry a liter of oil with you everytime. I had a similar issue with my 2011 burning oil at that rate also, and I just eventually started carrying a bottle of oil with me.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:21 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

I've seen similar conditions on motors that were broken in too gently. The piston rings don't fully seat and oil gets past them and burns. 1L of oil per 1,000 miles is not ideal, but also not the end of the world if you keep levels proper. My '17 BMW R9T does this as a new motor. Supposedly it reduces past 3000 - 6000 miles if run in properly. My M8 doesn't burn a drop so I'd keep after the dealer, but if all else is good I'm guessing it's rings or piston shape letting it happen. Maybe make sure you keep the warranty in good standing for safe measure.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:37 PM
ntg433
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow. 1liter per every 1K seems extreme. Have you confirmed this by pulling the spark plugs? Are both exhaust pipes equally sooty?

The left side spark plugs front and rear are accessible without removing the tank. Pull those plugs and see what they look like. Some of the oil might be "disappearing" due to sumping, because it transfers and stays hiding in the crankcase reducing the volume when you're checking oil levels (lots of info on this) in other threads.

Keep us posted with your efforts with the dealer.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:43 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Sumping....oops yeah, forgot which forum section I was in...also mentioning trans oil low...sounds like migration issue too. Double winnner possibly.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:45 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

I don't think I've ever seen a zero mile Harley.

The following 2 users liked this post by DaddyKnuck:
GFVIII (11-25-2017), GPHDXLC (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 03:57 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

My 2017 SGS eats oil to, but not as badly as yours. Mine seems to eat less than half a quart every 1500 to 2000 miles, and no transmission fluid loss.

Here in the US dealerships are told that oil consumption up to one quart (0.94 liters) per 1000 miles is considered normal - if your bike is eating more than one qt per 1000 miles they'll troubleshoot the problem.

If your numbers are right I'd be telling the dealership that you're losing more than one liter per 1000 miles and then I'd keep hounding them to fix it. If you can, find out if the "normal" oil consumption level in your country is also 1 quart (or 1 liter) per 1,000 miles.

FWIW - I don't like what the MoCo calls "normal" consumption - it pisses me off but I can live with the amount my bike uses. There's no way I'd just live with what your bike is eating up.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 04:12 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,741 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
I've seen similar conditions on motors that were broken in too gently. The piston rings don't fully seat and oil gets past them and burns. 1L of oil per 1,000 miles is not ideal, but also not the end of the world if you keep levels proper. My '17 BMW R9T does this as a new motor. Supposedly it reduces past 3000 - 6000 miles if run in properly. My M8 doesn't burn a drop so I'd keep after the dealer, but if all else is good I'm guessing it's rings or piston shape letting it happen. Maybe make sure you keep the warranty in good standing for safe measure.
Years ago I was told by a Harley service manager about an old cure for rings that didn't seat. Put 1 teaspoon of Bon Ami in each cylinder and run it. I don't no if it will work, but the worst it could do is make it burn more oil and then the MOCO would have to do something about it. Just make sure you don't tell them you did that.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:40 PM
ntg433
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Years ago I was told by a Harley service manager about an old cure for rings that didn't seat. Put 1 teaspoon of Bon Ami in each cylinder and run it. I don't no if it will work, but the worst it could do is make it burn more oil and then the MOCO would have to do something about it. Just make sure you don't tell them you did that.
If Bon Ami could restore the normal functioning (sealing) of the piston rings by breaking the glaze and essentially re honing the contact surfaces, what would it do to the valve guides in the heads? Sounds too good to be true.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:33 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by ntg433
If Bon Ami could restore the normal functioning (sealing) of the piston rings by breaking the glaze and essentially re honing the contact surfaces, what would it do to the valve guides in the heads? Sounds too good to be true.
Maybe a little sawdust could plug that sneaky little hole in the tranny thats causing all the problems too.

Quick Reply: Milwaukee 8 oil problems