Sponsored by:

Another Seat Talk

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 05:14 PM
badjujumatt
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Another Seat Talk

So much info here regarding seats, I am almost not wanting to post this. I have a 2017 FLHXS and picked up a Danny Gray Long Haul 2up seat last year. Its just not working for me and the wife, so I started to look around. The Mustang seams to be a very highly liked seat, if I go this route it would be a deluxe, maybe even with heat. I like the stitching and nearly look of leather. Next is Saddlemen Road Sofa which looks awesome, like the stitching and backrest capability. And finally, the Corbin dual touring. Again, this one looks right up my alley with the available options for material, color, stitching, backrest, etc. And unlike the other 2 choices, I can do a backrest for the tourpak that matches the seat. I could of course have my guy sew me a new cover for one of the other 3.

Looking for some feedback on the 3, or options for another brand not currently on my list. I would sell my DG if anyone is interested.

btw I am 6'4" & 240 at the moment.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:56 PM
ghostrunner
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 148 Posts

Not to change your mind but i had used the Corbin seats for years and as time progressed on me i did the research and bought a CVO seat and backrest from 2017 Ultra Limited and am 100% satisfied. Can now ride all day with no problem.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:02 PM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm waiting for
this to hit my front porch.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:08 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,593 Likes on 5,166 Posts

Seats are a personal thing No brand no one model is right for all. I see a lot of riders more concerned with looks than ride. And that really sucks when you are looking at two.
Collecting seats gets expensive. I just gave away an almost new Hammock seat I liked, wife did not. I under stand why and agree with her.
Have you consider demoing seats . Stop by HD dealer try every seat that will fit your bike. Take wife with you . Even if you find one you like try them all. Maybe you strike out, but at least you have narrated down what does not work with out costing you a dime. Or you may fine one that works.
On our 2013 I had a seat I used alone and one when she was with me. Generally I find HD seats pretty darn good. If you have the right one.

Last edited by smitty901; 02-02-2018 at 06:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
highwayman1224 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 06:25 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by badjujumatt
So much info here regarding seats, I am almost not wanting to post this. I have a 2017 FLHXS and picked up a Danny Gray Long Haul 2up seat last year. Its just not working for me and the wife, so I started to look around. The Mustang seams to be a very highly liked seat, if I go this route it would be a deluxe, maybe even with heat. I like the stitching and nearly look of leather. Next is Saddlemen Road Sofa which looks awesome, like the stitching and backrest capability. And finally, the Corbin dual touring. Again, this one looks right up my alley with the available options for material, color, stitching, backrest, etc. And unlike the other 2 choices, I can do a backrest for the tourpak that matches the seat. I could of course have my guy sew me a new cover for one of the other 3.

Looking for some feedback on the 3, or options for another brand not currently on my list. I would sell my DG if anyone is interested.

I had the same Danny Gray and wasn't a fan either. We need to revamp our RD department.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:29 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

I had a mustang Summit with heat and and the wife and I couldn’t stand it, but it would look out of place on anything but a limited. Fast forward and I bought a Russell day Long (best seat ever) problem was, when my 23 year old, little bitty daughter rode with me, she would continually slide forward. I picked up a Mustang Deluxe off eBay that a guy had 8000 miles on, it was just okay. I sold it to a friend for his 2016 SGS, and he swears he will ride that seat until he goes to the grave!!

We are both about 6’1” and 260. He’s an end dump driver and I travel a lot for sales in a charger. So we spend a lot of time on our rears

Last edited by lyork; 02-02-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:47 AM
badjujumatt
Advanced

thats a great looking seat.

Originally Posted by CR3999
I'm waiting for
this to hit my front porch.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:51 AM
badjujumatt
Advanced

Originally Posted by tbob
I had the same Danny Gray and wasn't a fan either. We need to revamp our RD department.
I think the DG gave me issues because of the curvature of the seat, putting pressure on the tailbone area rather than the butt area, generally speaking. The DG his high quality and looks great, it just didnt work for me.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:56 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by badjujumatt

As others have said seats are a really personal preference, what works for some doesnt work for other riders, but here is my feedback

I am 6'7" 260 with 36" inseam riding a 17 RGU

I have the Mustang Supertouring
https://www.mustangseats.com/Product...HTFLTRFLHRFLHX

You mentioned the Deluxe it appears that the specs on it and the Supertouring are about the same. Both have 19" front width and 14" back and both push the driver back 1.75". Both my wife and I are very comfortable on this seat and the fact that it pushed me back 1.75" from the tank was perfect.

I have run Mustang seats on several other bikes and love the seats so I may be a bit partial to them

badjujumatt (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 07:44 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 464 Likes on 305 Posts

I've tried them all...

I've gone through SO many seats it's insane. My favorite is the Saddlemen Dominator but it's a solo and the wife likes the Roadsofa better (that's what I'm running now). I have both the Roadsofa and the Roadsofa Extended right now and testing to see which I prefer.

I've run the Mustang and like them for shorter hauls but they are a little soft for over 300 miles.

Corbin LaPera, and C&C were just to hard for me, look great but just way to hard for my boney ***.

Danny Gray BigIST was great and would be the one if I could have used a backrest :/

Hammock runs a close second to the Roadsofa but the older Hammock not the newest version, that one I did not like.

Zepplin is really nice and I ran it on the Ultra but it's a no go for the Road King, it's as big as a damn house but so comfy and adjustable on the fly!

Demoed a sundowner (should be the stock seat imo) works well but a Hammock is way better for me.

I also tried Mean Cities mods, nope!

Like I said, I've tried a bunch, 6'1" and about 260 with no *** whatsoever.

Hope that helps, I know how frustrating this all is.

rockymtman (02-04-2018)

Quick Reply: Another Seat Talk