Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Fix Is In!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 10:26 PM
Myssabar
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a 2017 Road Glide Special and have about 2k miles. What is this transfer problem? and what can i do to see if I have this problem?

Old 10-03-2018, 10:43 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,741 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by RK14SGS
Well I’ll be the 1000th post... my bike got worse with the slinger. 14oz transfer in 1500 miles. Was previously about 2-4 before the HD slinger.
Congratulations, when I started this thread I would have never guessed. I would be curious if the slinger is removed if the transfer rate will reduce to what is was originally.

Originally Posted by Myssabar
I just bought a 2017 Road Glide Special and have about 2k miles. What is this transfer problem? and what can i do to see if I have this problem?
Transfer is the movement of oil from the transmission to the primary.

Check your transmission fluid to get a benchmark. Then check it again after riding a few hundred miles. If it has moved down or off the dip stick you have it. Of course, if you check your tranny fluid for a benchmark and it is not on the stick, you can probably skip the second step.

If you want to know more there are several threads about it on this forum, including this one. This one is not the longest!

Old 10-04-2018, 04:58 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

[QUOTE=$tonecold;17730810]Congratulations, when I started this thread I would have never guessed. I would be curious if the slinger is removed if the transfer rate will reduce to what is was originally.

$tonecold, I’ll let you know. I plan on riding the bike on a mountain trip next weekend. My biggest transfer quantities have occurred when riding two up in the mountains. I usually do many accels and decels, which seems to move the fluid. Daily commute to work doesn’t adversely move it , but it may be because a mountain trip racks up 4-600 miles in a single clip.

im going back to the dealership after the ride so they can document how much is in the primary. Then I’ll see if they will remove it, OR I just do it at home. While I know HD ain’t gonna do anything, I want it documented. Put me on the list of the next batch of kits.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:38 AM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Has anyone removed the Slinger?

Is it just a cap or is the nut and cap one piece?

If it's just a cap it would seem removable. if it's one piece then you will need to purchase a new nut as I doubt the dealership would return the old one at the time in install.

I have seen several reports that the Slinger made the problem worst.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:51 AM
SG Steve
Novice
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the "oil slinger" installed on my bike in early July. It made my transfer significantly worse.
Without the oil slinger, 4 ounces every 1,000 miles.
With oil slinger, 10+ ounces every 300 miles.
I had my dealer remove the slinger, and back to about 4 ounces every 1,000 miles.
The oil slinger can be removed, it is not part of the nut.

A Harley master technician met with me and my dealers service manager about 3 weeks ago at my dealership.
He stated they have had success with adding a vent to the primary. I asked him why the primary is pulling a vacuum on some bikes that have the transfer issue, and not on most bikes.
He could not explain. There is something definitely wrong if the primary is developing a vacuum and drawing the transmission fluid into the primary.
I told him I would not have the primary vent installed on my bike. I felt that was a Band-Aid, and not a true fix. Plus, it is fugly.
No true fix from Harley yet. Hopefully they have a fix before next April.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:03 AM
arighi
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Larger pushrod? Been seeing some talk of changing out the pushrod to fix the transfer.

I just got done doing a full check on my primary and transmission. I had about 5000 miles since last service. Emptied out the primary and measured it and it appeared to be 6 ounces higher than when I serviced the bike. Emptied the transmission and found out where those six ounces came from.

Started doing some research and came across an interesting thread that suggested replacing the pushrod. The new pushrod, would not have the slop in it that the oem has, thus it would not allow the fluid transfer.

Question to the forum... has anyone changed out their pushrod to see if this would fix the issue?

Old 10-05-2018, 09:06 AM
arighi
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As stated in the forum, see where tranny fluid is on the stick, ride it for awhile and see if it goes down.. If it does go down, its moving to the primary. Over the period of about 5000 miles, I transferred six ounces.. there is no fix with Harley at this point and so I am going to look at perhaps replacing the pushrod.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:02 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,516 Likes on 4,422 Posts

Originally Posted by arighi
As stated in the forum, see where tranny fluid is on the stick, ride it for awhile and see if it goes down.. If it does go down, its moving to the primary. Over the period of about 5000 miles, I transferred six ounces.. there is no fix with Harley at this point and so I am going to look at perhaps replacing the pushrod.
without knowing what you ride or what you have done to it, see also; warranty concern..?? your transfer behavior is very similar to mine over 2 years now, which is completely manageable..6 ounces in 5000 miles for me is not worth doing anything other than top off tranny and change Primary fluid every 5000 miles..that amount over in the Primary won't result in any negative behavior, problem or damage, same for tranny for that matter but just top it off a little periodically..unless this just causes you to lose sleep over then get ahold of $tonecold here and he'll fix you up with his permanent solution..that's what I would recommend instead of the pushrod which don't believe has been a proven fix

Old 10-05-2018, 11:00 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,741 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by arighi
There is a guy on the Milwaukee 8 Facebook group that makes a pushrod that’s a bigger diameter. He claims a 100% fix, but I feel it is a pretty small test group to make that claim. I also don’t know if he hardened the wear surfaces on his pushrods or if that is even necessary. You’ll have to check with him for information.

Some people have had success with the 2014 three piece hydraulic pushrods. I know of two in the states and about 9-10 in Germany that have used it and stopped or significantly reduced transfer. There’s also 3-4 in Germany that have tried it and not had success, so it is about 75% which is why I have reservations about the pushrods the Facebook guy is making.

”The Fix” puts a seal between the transmission and the primary. There is at least one rider that has over 20K miles on “The Fix” and numerous others that have logged thousands of miles with it. I have sold about fifty of the kits since I started and only one had a problem that was a bad machine work issue. If you want to go that route the kit cost $210. It takes an hour or two to install. I will have some kits together the first part of next week.

Those are your choices for the remedies most likely to work. So far the MOCO hasn’t put forward anything that works even 50% of the time and as some have testified the slinger can even aggravate the problem.

The following 2 users liked this post by $tonecold:
Craigmri (10-06-2018), stixvrad (10-10-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 11:23 AM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Gamma742
Has anyone removed the Slinger?

Is it just a cap or is the nut and cap one piece?

If it's just a cap it would seem removable. if it's one piece then you will need to purchase a new nut as I doubt the dealership would return the old one at the time in install.

I have seen several reports that the Slinger made the problem worst.
Here is an actual photograph of the "kit" - the plastic slinger and a new gasket.

The following users liked this post:
sarge-glide (10-05-2018)

Quick Reply: The Fix Is In!!!