Sponsored by:

Hope I didn't make a mistake - Amp install

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 05:22 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts
Question Hope I didn't make a mistake - Amp install

Bike has been in the shop for a while having a bunch of things added. One is a Hogtunes amp and speakers. Had a call from my Indy yesterday that the kit did not come with a connector plug, can't remember which one. Been without the bike for too long so I told him to just hardwire it into the system. Then talking to a friend last night he mentioned the CANBUS.

So my concern is might I expect issues going forward? The Indy is very trusted and only works on Harley but don't guess he has worked on too many M8's as far as this particular install. Just hoping this is not going to be a problem and if so can it be reversed?

Old 04-27-2018, 06:30 AM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 158 Posts

Since this is the M8 forum I'm going to assume it's '17 or newer in which case I am willing to bet the indy plans to run speaker level input to the input of the amp which is no bueno. If however there is a BT line leveler involved it will be good. I am not aware of a true plug and play system for Rushmore bikes but it's as easy of an install as it gets. Find out if you received a biketronics line leveler and go from there.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:39 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,365 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by marshallb
Since this is the M8 forum I'm going to assume it's '17 or newer in which case I am willing to bet the indy plans to run speaker level input to the input of the amp which is no bueno. If however there is a BT line leveler involved it will be good. I am not aware of a true plug and play system for Rushmore bikes but it's as easy of an install as it gets. Find out if you received a biketronics line leveler and go from there.
Line leveler would work, but not ideal. J&M, Soundz and other trusted experts recommend flashing vs line levelers, I would contact them for details.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:45 AM
marshallb
Road Warrior

I think if you head over to the Audio forum you'll find several threads that discourage flashing in most cases. Everything I posted in this thread is verbatim what I read there from respected members.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:15 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

I think if you head over to the Audio forum you'll find several threads that discourage flashing in most cases. Everything I posted in this thread is verbatim what I read there from respected members.
This is what the guy from Soundz says:

Me: Flashing vs line leveler - pros? cons?
Flat eq vs a horrible signal quality with lots of distortion in the signal.

The “line levelers” are a terrible gimmick that is truly just a line out converter with two more gain pots added in an attempt to “sell” the public on the idea that it is to adjust bass as though it’s an in line -6db input crossover which is just not truly possible in this scenario.

You encounter two internal signals engine off vs engine on, a variable bass algorithm, and an output IC chip change at half volume with a drastic increase in distortion when left with a stock flash.

When flashed per our setting, we have one EQ curve on the radio, the voltage is reduced to the point that the distortion is almost eliminated, and the bass algorithm is also eliminated.

Anything ever sold as a magic box or line leveling device is simply a company after a fast dollar that cannot innovate and provide the solution or one that does not have the ability to tell their customers the truth while selling a low end product.

Only con to our flash is loss of fade. All [subsequent Harley] updates work fine. Nothing tricky about it, just don’t believe everything written online in forums!

We now have a DSP with canbus control that retains fade and provides a superior sound quality signal in conjunction with the flash.

Last edited by Keithhu; 04-27-2018 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:25 AM
marshallb
Road Warrior

Again if you go to the audio forums right here on this forum one of the most respected places to get information from people who aren't paid to sell you something you will read that the Biketronics line leveler is the way to go. But hey if the salesman say it so mote it be.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:15 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Again if you go to the audio forums right here on this forum one of the most respected places to get information from people who aren't paid to sell you something you will read that the Biketronics line leveler is the way to go. But hey if the salesman say it so mote it be.
Biketronics is trying to sell something too no? Peter has an excellent reputation, with tons of thrilled customers, thats what I'm basing my opinions on.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:21 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior

You win dude. Good luck OP!