Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sumping Help

Old 06-11-2018, 05:40 PM
robotbak
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sumping Help

I apologize if this is addressed, but I have read what I feel is thousands of pages on the M8 sumping issues and could still use some help.

My bike is a '17 Road King Special with a Stage 4. The first time I had a problem I thought it was just bad gas because it went away quickly after I ran more gas through it. After smelling burning oil and having the same problem again I took the bike in. The service guy told me he knew exactly what the problem was and I was already positive this was my issue after reading many forums, including this one.

They put my bike on the dyno and could not cause the power loss, so they took it for a 30 mile ride and still nothing. I told them that wasn't going to work and that it only has problems after I've been riding it more that that. They went to MOCO and were given some more tests to run and apparently the bike passed because they're saying that the problem can't be reproduced, so they won't do anything to fix the bike.

How were you guys able to show the dealer and MOCO that there was a problem? Any suggestions on how I can get them to fix the bike? It seems crazy to me that they know this is a problem and are completely unwilling to do anything about it. I guess they expect to fix it after I get stranded in the middle of nowhere with a blown motor.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:48 PM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

Try another dealer. Or make them aware of M1450, they should be pulling crank sensor and observing how much oil comes out. Or they are clueless, which is too often the case.

Last edited by VDeuce; 06-11-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:54 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 966 Likes on 554 Posts

Never heard of a dealer trying to replicate sumping by putting a bike on a dyno or doing short ride while looking for power loss.

There's a TSB from the MOCO for sumping, actually there are several.
Per the bulletin, they should be checking the amount of oil in the case by removing the crank position sensor. I've had some symptoms myself and watched them perform the test per the TSB; they got just shy of 5oz... I need to have checked again. Last I remember no more than 6oz should come out.

Ask your dealer to produce the TSB and ask them to perform the check based on that bulletin.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:58 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,359 Likes on 2,615 Posts

You need to ride it until it blows up. Smoke, rattling, the whole schmegeggie.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:02 PM
VDeuce
Road Warrior

Ride into dealer and pull cps let it puke oil all over service department floor. Should get the point across. Dry sump, snickers.

Last edited by VDeuce; 06-11-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:14 PM
robotbak
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone had posted a copy (one of the versions) of the service bulletins. I just sent that to them and will see what they say. I agree that it doesn't make any sense to expect the problem to show up in 10 revs of the motor on a dyno, but that's what they did.

05/23/18TECH STATES: GOT BIKE TO 300 DEGREES, PUT ON DYNO AND DID 10 PULLS. NO LOSS OF POWER. N.P.F. HAS NO

CODES, COULD NOT DUPLICATE PROBLEM.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:17 PM
VDeuce
Road Warrior

That is not the procedure the dealer monkeys should be following (goes to the clueless comment). I'd go to another dealer. 10 pulls on a dyno at 300 degrees?

There are never any codes when sumping happens. Like I say, pull the CPS on their nice shiny floor and all will become evident, lol.

Last edited by VDeuce; 06-11-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:28 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,359 Likes on 2,615 Posts

Originally Posted by VDeuce
That is not the procedure the dealer monkeys should be following (goes to the clueless comment). I'd go to another dealer. 10 pulls on a dyno at 300 degrees?

There are never any codes when sumping happens. Like I say, pull the CPS on their nice shiny floor and all will become evident, lol.
My opinion is you shouldnt be pulling anything. Trying to prevent it will only put you in a gray area. Literally just ride the mother father until it blows, then you'll get a new engine. Otherwise best case is torn apart engine, replaced parts, etc. A mess.

Just make it blow and get a new engine.

The following users liked this post:
anthony_b. (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 06:37 PM
VDeuce
Road Warrior

^^ You do realize that is tongue in cheek, lol. Would be funny though,

Old 06-11-2018, 07:29 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Ride it till it blows .. Keith and I know .. Ride it till it goes no faster than 50 mph.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sumping Help