Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ticking noise question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 09:48 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 406 Likes on 327 Posts

Does it make the noise at low throttle around 2000 - 2500 RPM? If so. does the noise go away if you give it a little throttle? If so, probably injector tick. No harm, no foul.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:24 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I hear it on the right side of the motor. And maybe ticking isn't the correct description. Its more like the sewing machine noise ppl describe. And yes I realize the M*'s might naturally make this type of noise, and mine did some at first, but after the FM map and work I had done, it was so quiet.

I also hear it at different times, but I assume that is due to the exhaust sound masking it. I can definitely hear it best when I'm cruising along at about 35 or 40 in 4th and let off the throttle completely.

But I hear it other times as well. At first I thought maybe it was something loose on my dash or fairing....it was hard to tell where the noise was coming from. But if I lean down toward the right side of the motor, I can hear that its coming from there.

I stopped by to talk to the SM at a local dealership yesterday...the one I spoke to a couple sat's ago, but he was busy with someone in his office so I left.

I think its still worth the labor charge for me to just have someone at least check the push rods and tighten/adjust them anyway if needed. Like I said, this motor

Old 07-19-2018, 09:21 AM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by bad tappets
Does it make the noise at low throttle around 2000 - 2500 RPM? If so. does the noise go away if you give it a little throttle? If so, probably injector tick. No harm, no foul.
Never thought of that though from my diesel tech days in sub name, we would check for a hung injector by using a mech stethoscope. No tick was bad.

All my other Harleys had V&H pipes that put out a pretty throaty rumble. The ticks were probably there but were being drowned by exhaust noises. With my new TG sewing machine, little noises are less little now.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:33 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
I hear it on the right side of the motor. And maybe ticking isn't the correct description. Its more like the sewing machine noise ppl describe. And yes I realize the M*'s might naturally make this type of noise, and mine did some at first, but after the FM map and work I had done, it was so quiet.

I also hear it at different times, but I assume that is due to the exhaust sound masking it. I can definitely hear it best when I'm cruising along at about 35 or 40 in 4th and let off the throttle completely.

But I hear it other times as well. At first I thought maybe it was something loose on my dash or fairing....it was hard to tell where the noise was coming from. But if I lean down toward the right side of the motor, I can hear that its coming from there.

I stopped by to talk to the SM at a local dealership yesterday...the one I spoke to a couple sat's ago, but he was busy with someone in his office so I left.

I think its still worth the labor charge for me to just have someone at least check the push rods and tighten/adjust them anyway if needed. Like I said, this motor
If it's a noise on the right side and down low and most hearable at idle it's more than likely the gear interface and lash for the counterbalancer.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:25 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by psyshack
If it's a noise on the right side and down low and most hearable at idle it's more than likely the gear interface and lash for the counterbalancer.
You really can't hear it at idle more. I do cause I know how it sounded before. But the best way to hear it is cruising at about 40 mph and let off the throttle. Very distinct sound then.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:48 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
You really can't hear it at idle more. I do cause I know how it sounded before. But the best way to hear it is cruising at about 40 mph and let off the throttle. Very distinct sound then.
Could be unloading the cam chain... Hard to tell without hearing it...

Old 07-20-2018, 08:17 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by psyshack
Could be unloading the cam chain... Hard to tell without hearing it...
its hard to hear in person unless you're riding it and you know what it sounded like before. Lol

Talked to a reputable indy today and hes gonna look at it when I get it dynoed.