Sponsored by:

Occasional grind on downshift

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 04:26 PM
BigDipper15
Club Member
Received 318 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Occasional grind on downshift

Have an 18 Street Glide...stage 1. Occassionally when coming to a stop for example say going 60 and coming to a light I will pull the clutch all the way in obviously and downshift as I slow lets say from 5th to 1st. Randomly I will get a grind on each shift from 5th to first. Then it doesn't happen again until another random time. Anyone else experience this? Have a call into Harley but the odds of them replicating it are probably low. They would have to put some miles on. Never an issue shifting into neutral and never happens on upshifts.

Last edited by BigDipper15; 05-30-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:38 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,529 Likes on 4,426 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDipper15
Have an 18 Street Glide...stage 1. Occassionally when coming to a stop for example say going 60 and coming to a light I will pull the clutch all the way in obviously and downshift as I slow lets say from 5th to 1st. Randomly I will get a grind on each shift from 5th to first. Then it doesn't happen again until another random time. Anyone else experience this? Have a call into Harley but the odds of them replicating it are probably low. They would have to put some miles on. Never an issue shifting into neutral and never happens on upshifts.
haven't had that exact thing happen, but my experience since day 1 of my 8 / 2016 build 107 SE Stage 1 with Formula+ in both, is these things can have a random mind of their own behaviors...sometimes, hot or cold, clicks into 1st gear quiet as a church mouse, next time, ker-plunk, or maybe even a little ratcheting feel and sound, or sometimes slowing to a stop from being in higher gears and the rpms, speed, clutch in and coasting, whatever circumstances align at the moment it won't allow downshifting at all, shift lever acts like it's just hitting dead air..have to stop and rock it a little, etc...all these are very infrequent behaviors and I have 33,000 miles on mine and 99% of the time it all works flawlessly..no rhyme or reason and it just keeps on keepin' on

Old 05-30-2019, 04:44 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,921 Likes on 3,021 Posts

I get that when I'm not hitting it hard enough. Like if I'm applying mild pressure.
Good for sex but not for shifting.

The following users liked this post:
Sorce (05-31-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 04:51 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RANGER73
I get that when I'm not hitting it hard enough. Like if I'm applying mild pressure.
Good for sex but not for shifting.
yeah, try to be consistent but over a million shifts I'm sure I'm not 100% deliberate enough so operatoir error plays a part...assuming he had the clutch recall done, but not sure what unusual behaviors that would cause if not and it's having the associated problem

Old 05-30-2019, 04:54 PM
Harttoo
Road Master

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

Yeah, mine was grinding when I noticed transfer of oil to the primary at about 5000 miles.Now at 24,000 miles third gear is stripped and was in shop for 45 days.Got it back and it started to rattle in first gear within 175 miles.Back in the shop now .Been two weeks.Disgusted with their "speedy service" and incomplete repair.

Old 05-30-2019, 04:58 PM
Road Gliderman
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes I blew a shift the other day powering on and thought I totalled the tranny grinding in every gear. A few miles later everything was fine, guess it had to line itseff up again.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:54 PM
BigDipper15
Club Member
Received 318 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
yeah, try to be consistent but over a million shifts I'm sure I'm not 100% deliberate enough so operatoir error plays a part...assuming he had the clutch recall done, but not sure what unusual behaviors that would cause if not and it's having the associated problem
I do have the recall done. I do think it's possible I am not deliberate enough in the pull maybe at times and it catches and until I release and grab again it does not reset itself. Next time it happens I'm going to let out before the next downshift and then repull and see what happens

Old 05-30-2019, 06:50 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,738 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Gliderman
Yes I blew a shift the other day powering on and thought I totalled the tranny grinding in every gear. A few miles later everything was fine, guess it had to line itseff up again.

All the missing teeth floating around eventually settled to the bottom.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:35 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hellonewman
All the missing teeth floating around eventually settled to the bottom.
unless you use Amsoil, it will keep them in suspension

Old 05-30-2019, 10:25 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,225 Likes on 1,409 Posts

When I first got the bike, I would pull the clutch in and downshift all the way to 1 as I coasted to a stop - this would usually result in not getting below 2 until I released the clutch and pulled it again. Now, I just release the clutch slightly (about halfway) between [most] shifts, never had another issue shifting. I had an old Buell (Evo motor) that wouldn't downshift more than one gear at a time unless the clutch was let out slightly between gears.

Quick Reply: Occasional grind on downshift