Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Insurance claims experiences

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 05:03 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Smart question OP. Its when the chips are down and claims occur that you learn what a "good deal" is and its certainly not defined by premiums.

In my youth I gained experience with Insurance tricks of all sorts, discounting, multiple deductibles, adjuster estimates, you name it.

I've never worked in the Insurance industry and have no axe to grind with any particular company, except as a customer. I now insure everything I own with Allstate.

In the past 20 years, I've had 4 (not at fault rear ender) auto claims and 2 house claims. Premiums never went up 1 cent. After the second rear ender and a decidedly unpleasant experience with the other guy's ******* of an adjuster, I called my Allstate agent for advice. Then and there Allstate took over, initiating repairs on the spot, obviously paying for everything. They then subrogated the claim, settling up with the other guys insurer and making my entire claims experience a breeze. Not one cent did this cost me. All claims for subsequent accidents which were not my fault have been handled in the same way so I need never deal with an ******* 3rd party insurance adjuster again. Premiums never go up as the accidents have never been my fault.

When our clothes dryer caught on fire it resulted in rather severe smoke damage to our home but no fire damage. My Allstate guy simply said they do not pay for the cause of the fire ergo the clothes dryer would be mine to replace, otherwise the bills were to go to him. I could look after getting a cleanup contractor or they would if I wished. They did it and a week and $30,000.00 later we moved back into our home. They had washed, cleaned, drycleaned, laundered, repainted everything. They even painted the goddamn basement and paid a $1,500.00 Vet bill for our raggedy arsed cat. They paid hotel bills, meals and personal laundry too,,, "everything".

Allstate aren't the cheapest ****** on the block but I'll never insure anywhere else. I have "All Perils" coverage with 5 million liability on my bike and it costs me $1,100.00 a year,,,, "not bad in Canada".

Last edited by HKMark23; 03-08-2019 at 05:06 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:40 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

Never had a problem with insurance. I have Liberty Mutual home owners, they payed me over 20,000 for personal things that was on my boat when it went down and Boat US covered the rest 225.000.00. Never a problem with Liberty for home, car they wanted to much for MC so I went with Rider. Rates went up few years later to the point I had to change so I went with Geico, home, cars, MC's they handled car accidents very well, as of now Wife had a accident last week car is in the shop now hope to pick it up today so far everything is going well.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:13 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
. Its when the chips are down and claims occur that you learn what a "good deal" is and its certainly not defined by premiums.
Very True- Premiums (Higher or lower) do not correlate to claims paying or customer service.

I've have very good claims service from both Progressive and Geico. And from pretty much any other insurance company for which I've filed claims.

My neighbor had a pretty nasty experience with State Farm when he was hit by a drive who was also with State Farm. But I'm sure others have been quite happy with them.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:04 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts
Old 03-08-2019, 11:22 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

I have Geico. A few years ago, someone backed into my front fender and left. I called the next day and an adjuster came to where I work and took pictures. He even noticed another dent and they covered it to. I think I got the quote for the new fender myself. I got a check very shortly after. In fact he might have cut me a check right there. I only wanted the cost of parts because I did the work myself. It was painless and I was very satisfied.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:51 PM
Kram_Shane
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dairyland

i bought a brand new 2016 Street Glide in april of 16'. June of 17' it was stolen. I made a police report and contacted the insurance to file a claim immediately. They gave me the third degree as if i had something to do with its disappearance at first but i understand they're just doing their job. I forwarded all the police reports and mailed them my title, BOTH sets of keys and any and all receipts i had for my aftermarket items along with a list of items I had in the saddlebags and some pictures. Went back and forth with them for about 4 months through snail mail before someone finally told me we could have been doing the whole process by email the whole time which probably would have saved a month or two but whatever. finally, they closed my claim, paid the bike off in full and i ended up with like $1200 cash in refunds for some of the parts i paid for. All in all, it wasn't horrible but it was a pain in the a**. Throughout the whole ordeal there was a big lack of communication and their process was sort of confusing but not horrible. definitely won't be going back to them but I'm happy they took care of me eventually. i had state farm last year and i just switched to allstate this year which was about $1,000 a year cheaper (I'm young and a michigander so we pay a ton here) well see how it goes i guess.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:21 AM
digcolnagos
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had three motorcycle claims with American Family (see my post on the shopping for insurance thread), none where I was at fault, and it was incredibly easy and smooth. I still comparison shop every other year or so, and haven't found anything close in terms of price. Also, when someone broke a side window in my truck, American Family paid, and also told me--I hadn't known--that they'd pay for a new windshield because mine was cracked. I had mentioned it in passing.

Last edited by digcolnagos; 03-30-2019 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:26 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 446 Likes on 309 Posts

Well I live in Michigan. The only state in the US where you get life time medical for injuries caused by an accident and we have what they call Catastrophic insurance that tacks on about 300 dollars right off the bat every 6 months. The other fun fact is they don't consider motorcycles motor vehicles. So if you get hit by someone or someone runs out in front of you and you hit them you have to claim the repairs on the bike on your insurance not the other party. Michiganistan also forces you to now carry 250/500/250 minimum coverage. They informed me that the only way the other party would have to pay is if it was parked and they ran into it.

That being said, I had State Farm for about 12 years. Now, I will say that most people don't own and insure 5 motor cycles and 2 cars, but my insurance was 589.00 a month. My wife's 2020 Equinox was 1098.00 every 6 months. So I tried to discuss the costs with my agent and he just told me I had 2 many "toys" and there was nothing he could do. Finally got fed up and called USAA as I am a Marine Corps Veteran. They lowered my payments 300.00 a month and I had better coverage. The issue was that State Farm issues you a separate policy for each vehicle. So I was paying the catastrophic fee 7 times twice a year. USAA issues you a blanket policy and then prices the coverage for each vehicle under that. I have 2 bikes that have liability insurance alone and they are only 50.00 apiece for 6 months.

I will say that in my wife's accident 2 years ago State Farm took care of everything and didn't raise our rates as we hadn't filed a claim in 10 years, but they seem to slowly creep up every year anyway. USAA has accident forgiveness so we will see how that works out. Oh, and my wife's car insurance dropped to 524.00 every 6 months for full coverage......