Pan America Pan America Forum Only

Essential fixes on older models?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 09:03 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,258 Likes on 1,284 Posts
Default Essential fixes on older models?

So, we're all aware that the early model Pan Americas were plagued with their share of gremlins, same as the early M8s had their sumping and whatnot.

It seems like the 2024 Pan America has it sorted out and it seems like the Pan America is fully trustable now, yes? As I understand it, some of those fixes were firmware updates, but others were hardware changes. Has anybody categorized what the changes were and what needs to be done to an older bike to bring it up to snuff?

Seems like there were windshield issues, electrical gremlins, and that people got a bigger battery and a higher-output stator? What would you who've fought the good fight, recommend for someone considering a leftover 2022 model?

Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
GammaRei (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 07:45 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 467 Likes on 307 Posts

Fuel Pump - hasn't been addressed
Radiator Hose - redesign on 23 I think

Old 02-29-2024, 09:38 AM
3dognate
Tourer
Received 337 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunker
Fuel Pump - hasn't been addressed
Fuel pump seems to be hit and miss.. this is season 4 for me and no worries so far on the pump, I have only 6500 miles though as I split my riding over multiple bikes, my miles are always low and I only buy 91-93 octane major brand fuel (Shell, BP, Mobil). Maybe that helps, maybe it's just a matter of time. My '21 had plenty of radiator hose clearance too from the factory, I could fit my index finger in there easy. It was on one of the very first trucks that left the factory on the first day of distribution, maybe it was one of the pre-production bikes that got extra special attention on assembly.

But... firmware/software... gotta make sure the updates, all of the updates, are completed. <-- that's the big one. There's been a rash of service depts telling people the software is up to date and it totally not be.

And Bunker's advice is good. Make sure the fuel pump sounds good, make sure there's that clearance between the front header and radiator hose, make sure the Adaptive Ride Height functions correctly if it has it, Make sure it's charging well.

Last edited by 3dognate; 02-29-2024 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-29-2024, 12:27 PM
wmprof
Road Master
Received 1,264 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunker
I modified the radiator hose on my 23, cut off quarter inch and pushed it on further. Also added heat shield that I had in my parts stash. Helps to be proactive.

Zero problems so far in 7,000 miles. Well, except for the fob battery that only lasted six months.

Last edited by wmprof; 02-29-2024 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:55 PM
North of You
Cruiser
Received 208 Likes on 80 Posts

I have 27k km on the original fuel pump. I know I just jinxed myself, but ya….its hit and miss on that part.

Old 03-03-2024, 10:02 AM
doxbike
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

starter gear update, for sure
stator upgrade
all software updates; infotainment update
seat grab rail update
radiator hose clearance
change to madstad windshield
get enlarged foot pad for jiffy stand
as mentioned, be sure the ARH is functioning as it should
make sure it has the ESP! I had the right fork leg electronic malfunction and it shorted out 3 other switches- woulda cost of $5K without the warranty- these bikes have so many electronics that a lot can go wrong and not just on Harleys.
22,000 miles on my '01 and it's perfect!

Last edited by doxbike; 03-03-2024 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-03-2024, 03:52 PM
fwg1961
Advanced
Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
So, we're all aware that the early model Pan Americas were plagued with their share of gremlins, same as the early M8s had their sumping and whatnot.

It seems like the 2024 Pan America has it sorted out and it seems like the Pan America is fully trustable now, yes? As I understand it, some of those fixes were firmware updates, but others were hardware changes. Has anybody categorized what the changes were and what needs to be done to an older bike to bring it up to snuff?

Seems like there were windshield issues, electrical gremlins, and that people got a bigger battery and a higher-output stator? What would you who've fought the good fight, recommend for someone considering a leftover 2022 model?

Thanks!
The wiring harness is different, BCM, ECM and Side stand is different and mounts differently. I read somewhere that the parts that can be changed out alone are north of $2500.00 plus the labor. I would go for a 22 if it IS DIRT CHEAP with an extended warranty and hope the electrical system fries itself and HD fixes it with the updated parts. Otherwise go for a 24 and enjoy peace of mind and higher resale value down the road. I love the bike even thought my 21 was a problem child and I would replace it with another one if anything ever happened to it, probably the best all around bike I have ever had and I have had a bunch of them.

Last edited by fwg1961; 03-03-2024 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-04-2024, 01:26 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

Yeah, I've been thinking about it and I think you're right. I don't want to buy problems, and I don't know that the fixes to bring the '22 up to snuff are worth the price, and I definitely don't want to get stuck anywhere. I read up a bunch on a Pan America-specific forum, and it seems like they're saying the same thing. I really like the GI '22, but I think I'll pass, as this would strictly be a novelty and not a necessity and I really don't want to buy into any problems. If they'd give me a 7-year Harley ESP, I think I'd do it, but without that I just don't know. Or if the dealer would do all the necessary upgrades to it meets 2024's standards, but I doubt they would.

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

Old 03-11-2024, 12:58 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

Sigh. A week later and I CANNOT get the 2022 Enthusiast Pan Am out of my head.

I would go for a 22 if it IS DIRT CHEAP with an extended warranty and hope the electrical system fries itself and HD fixes it with the updated parts.
Well, now, that brings up an interesting option. If it's gonna happen at some point, then yeah, ride it until it's sure to blow itself up and then have the warranty fix it... Hmmm.

What do you consider dirt cheap?

I've been reading up on all the problems and fixes, and it seems like so many are related to electrical/charging.

Unfortunately, it seems like it may be a case of "when" it goes bad, rather than "if" it goes bad. People seem to absolutely love them and have no problems at all with them, right up until they do start having problems. Maybe it's like COVID, sooner or later everyone got it.

Is there a mileage threshold where the problems are pretty sure to have manifested themselves by? Like, if few people with <5,000 miles have problems, lots with 10,000 miles have or had problems, and everybody with 20,000+ miles had problems, then maybe you just have to make sure you hit 20k miles within the warranty period to get everything fixed? Which should be easy for me, I put on 40K miles on my Fat Bob in four years, and that was with having other bikes in the garage too, so ... maybe this is an option?

So: to Pan Am veterans who've fought the good fight, does this sound like a reasonable way to enter the Pan Am world with a 2022 and have a chance of avoiding the nightmares?

1. Buy it new, so it has a warranty (even though it's a leftover 2022).
2. Make sure it's up to date with all software updates.
3. Replace the battery with a lithium battery.
4. Get at least a couple years' extended warranty.
5. Ride the hell out of it during the warranty period, at least XX thousand miles (whatever XX is, the threshold by which most folks have run into all the problems)
6. Have a second bike for when the problems take the Pan Am to the shop for repairs.
7. Harley fixes it and then I have a glorious functional reliable motorcycle for years to come... ?

Last edited by FatBob2018; 03-11-2024 at 01:03 PM.
3dognate (03-11-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 03:10 PM
3dognate
Tourer
Received 337 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
6. Have a second bike for when the problems take the Pan Am to the shop for repairs.
Five bikes.

tri cycle (03-12-2024)

Quick Reply: Essential fixes on older models?