Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clunking noise in primary diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 12:53 PM
feeohlee
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking noise in primary diagnosis

Full disclosure I’m no expert wrench. This project was big for me but I broke it down into baby steps and watched countless videos and read dozens of forums to make it manageable, but I guess I messed something up along the way. I have a 2014 FXDF Fat Bob, which I converted from forward controls to mid controls over the winter. This of course involved replacing the primary covers. When I re-assembled the primary I torqued the compensator and clutch to spec. I had the chain tensioner cinched with zip ties when it was off to keep it secured, and when I put it back on it seemed to be appropriate tension. I sealed up the primary cover and put new oil in.

The good news is bike runs and shifts properly. The bad news is when I started the bike today for the first time since the project, there was a clunking in the primary at idle. It is a very loud and clear intermittent clunking at idle. I rode the bike very short distance and I can’t say if it is happening or not at speed because I didn’t hear it but it may have been drowned out by the engine/exhaust noise.

I used blue loctite on the compensator but (facepalm, I know now that red is recommended). From my research it sounds like the noise could likely be a loose compensator nut. Perhaps I didn’t torque it properly? Or the blue loctite failed and it came lose already? If that is the case, could that happen instantly? Because as I said, this sound immediacy started on the first start after re-assembly.

I am hoping the sound is a loose compensator nut, as that will be an easy fix. Does anyone have any other ideas of what I could have messed up in this process that would cause this type of clunking noise /what else I should look for, in the event that I open up the primary and find the compensator nut is still tight as it should be?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by feeohlee; 03-15-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:31 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,021 Likes on 1,739 Posts

Welcome to forum. Could be comp nut. In any event it needs to be opened up again and you will be able to check the nut as well as the chain tension to make sure everything is good with that. Remember to use red loctite and clean the old out of the threads in the hole first. Where in NH?

Old 03-15-2020, 01:32 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,259 Likes on 6,015 Posts

I see this is your first post..... do you have service manual??? Indispensable tool..... sorry, I can't help with this issue, but others will chime in. You may want to visit the Welcome Area and do an intro.
Be patient...someone will be along soon!!
And Welcome!!