Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

planning my Yellowstone trip?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 08:38 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts
Default planning my Yellowstone trip?

Wondering if anyone ever rode from Steamboat Springs, CO To Cody, WY.
Want to get off the Super slab in Colorado Springs and Run the back roads to Steam Boat. looks like a nice ride. But the trip from there to Cody has me wondering about gas and food stops. Thanks Mike

Old 12-13-2015, 07:41 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't know exactly what route you are planning, there are a couple of different ways to go, but there should be gas and food on any of them if you make sure you are always full when you leave each town. There is a lot of nothing out there.

I almost got stranded without gas between Casper and Rawlins one time because I left Casper without filling up because I thought I could get gas at a little spot on the map. Turns out that spot was a ghost town..

Bill

Old 12-13-2015, 07:53 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 198 Posts

I have rode 191 from Yellowstone to CO without any gas problems. You could take 40 from Steamboat over to 191.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:13 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mike in dallas
Wondering if anyone ever rode from Steamboat Springs, CO To Cody, WY.
Want to get off the Super slab in Colorado Springs and Run the back roads to Steam Boat. looks like a nice ride. But the trip from there to Cody has me wondering about gas and food stops. Thanks Mike
Go to MapQuest.com. (use the classic version not the new)
Route Steamboat to Cody
It just provided the quickest way to get there
Now drag your route using your cursor to any alternate roads you want to hit
It will reroute you

Now, if you are happy with the route
Find the icon with the car and plane above the map
Click on it and then click on the gas stations radial button
Zoom into roughly the area you want to stop and it will present all the gas stations on the screen
No gas station presented? Zoom out and keep looking

Using this method, you can route and plan every stop for the entire trip.

I just did a random routing of your trip. Gas stations are pretty limited, but sufficient to keep fuel in your tank.
I didn't look for places to eat because your body can run a long time on empty if it has to. Throw some hard granola bars on the bike and you will never be hungry.

I carry extra fuel on long trips, but also ride at all hours further limiting my choices.

Last edited by Jonesee; 12-13-2015 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:02 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master

I figured there was something that would tell me. thanks!

Old 12-13-2015, 03:38 PM
HDriderDave1
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My wife and I are heading to Yellowstone next July. Thanks for posts.

Old 12-13-2015, 11:35 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

How many days do you wish this to take? There are some amazing places to see between Steamboat and Cody.

First and foremost, if you've never been to Dinosaur National Park, it's a must stop. There is a 1-2 hour scenic ride to the Green River Lookout right before you cross into Utah on 40. After that, go over to the Utah side of the park to see the Fossil House (hundreds of dinosaur fossils still in the hillside to see) and ride over to the Split Mountain viewpoint.

After you leave Dinosaur, take 191 north from Vernal out to the Flaming Gorge NRA dam if you like seeing awesome dams. Then backtrack a little to 44 towards Manila and take the turnoff for the Flaming Gorge visitor center and overlook. It is an absolutely stunning view of the canyon/gorge and you'll immediately see why it's named what it is. If you're a camper, there are a ton of campgrounds along the road to the overlook and I have never seen them even 50% full in all the times I've been.

After leaving there, continue along 44 for an absolutely gorgeous ride through hundreds of millions of years of geological history on the way to Manila. From Manile take 530 north to Green River. From Green River you can either take 191 north to 28 to head over towards Cody, or go all the way to Jackson Hole on 191 and then check out the Grand Tetons before entering Yellowstone through the south entrance and heading to Cody by exiting through the east entrance.

Or you can take more time and head west from Green River to Kemmerer, the home of the first JC Penney and a pretty neat 1-2 hour stop at Fossil Butte national monument, site of an ancient lake and some fantastically preserved ancient fossils. And then head to Montpelier to check out the really cool Oregon Trail Museum before heading up to Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons.

The middle of Wyoming is basically no-mans land. Extremely windy, lots of thunderstorms, nothing to see and limited gas stations. The options I listed above will make for a much better ride and trip than taking the 7-10 hour route that Google Maps will suggest as a route between Steamboat and Cody.

I made the run from Fishing Bridge RV camp in Yellowstone south through the Tetons to Jackson Hole then onto Kemmerer and Green River and Flaming Gorge to Vernal where I picked up 40 to head home to Denver in 2 days this past summer on my slow trip home from Sturgis. I spent probably 8 hours exploring at stops along the way. Started each day at 9ish and stopped in Kemmerer for the night around 7 and was in Steamboat by happy hour time the next day (continuing on after Steamboat put me home around 10...but I ran into snow and construction on Berthoud pass in the dark which was no fun). If you took 3 days to get from Steamboat to Cody you will be able to pack in a lot along that route.

Oh, and I never came close to running out of gas using the standard American West road trip protocol of never passing a gas station with a half tank or less. The stretch from kemmerer on 189 towards Jackson and the junction with 191 was very sparse on gas stations.

I can post some pictures from the places mentioned if people are interested.

Have a great trip, OP! Yellowstone is one of my favorite places in America.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:46 AM
moloprintz
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd love to see the pictures!

Old 12-14-2015, 09:06 AM
mike in dallas
Road Master

Originally Posted by Colorido
How many days do you wish this to take? There are some amazing places to see between Steamboat and Cody.

First and foremost, if you've never been to Dinosaur National Park, it's a must stop. There is a 1-2 hour scenic ride to the Green River Lookout right before you cross into Utah on 40. After that, go over to the Utah side of the park to see the Fossil House (hundreds of dinosaur fossils still in the hillside to see) and ride over to the Split Mountain viewpoint.

After you leave Dinosaur, take 191 north from Vernal out to the Flaming Gorge NRA dam if you like seeing awesome dams. Then backtrack a little to 44 towards Manila and take the turnoff for the Flaming Gorge visitor center and overlook. It is an absolutely stunning view of the canyon/gorge and you'll immediately see why it's named what it is. If you're a camper, there are a ton of campgrounds along the road to the overlook and I have never seen them even 50% full in all the times I've been.

After leaving there, continue along 44 for an absolutely gorgeous ride through hundreds of millions of years of geological history on the way to Manila. From Manile take 530 north to Green River. From Green River you can either take 191 north to 28 to head over towards Cody, or go all the way to Jackson Hole on 191 and then check out the Grand Tetons before entering Yellowstone through the south entrance and heading to Cody by exiting through the east entrance.

Or you can take more time and head west from Green River to Kemmerer, the home of the first JC Penney and a pretty neat 1-2 hour stop at Fossil Butte national monument, site of an ancient lake and some fantastically preserved ancient fossils. And then head to Montpelier to check out the really cool Oregon Trail Museum before heading up to Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons.

The middle of Wyoming is basically no-mans land. Extremely windy, lots of thunderstorms, nothing to see and limited gas stations. The options I listed above will make for a much better ride and trip than taking the 7-10 hour route that Google Maps will suggest as a route between Steamboat and Cody.

I made the run from Fishing Bridge RV camp in Yellowstone south through the Tetons to Jackson Hole then onto Kemmerer and Green River and Flaming Gorge to Vernal where I picked up 40 to head home to Denver in 2 days this past summer on my slow trip home from Sturgis. I spent probably 8 hours exploring at stops along the way. Started each day at 9ish and stopped in Kemmerer for the night around 7 and was in Steamboat by happy hour time the next day (continuing on after Steamboat put me home around 10...but I ran into snow and construction on Berthoud pass in the dark which was no fun). If you took 3 days to get from Steamboat to Cody you will be able to pack in a lot along that route.

Oh, and I never came close to running out of gas using the standard American West road trip protocol of never passing a gas station with a half tank or less. The stretch from kemmerer on 189 towards Jackson and the junction with 191 was very sparse on gas stations.

I can post some pictures from the places mentioned if people are interested.

Have a great trip, OP! Yellowstone is one of my favorite places in America.
I wish we had time to see more of this area. The ride from Stamboat to cody is just that. we will be in cody for 4 days. So we will be able to ride to Jackson by way of the Grand Tetons and also see Yellowstone, ride Chief Joseph Highway and Beartooth. I know we wont be able to see everything but I also plan to make a trip back at some point. Mostly I just wanted to make sure we wouldn't t have problems on Gas. Thanks for the info.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:53 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mike in dallas
I wish we had time to see more of this area. The ride from Stamboat to cody is just that. we will be in cody for 4 days. So we will be able to ride to Jackson by way of the Grand Tetons and also see Yellowstone, ride Chief Joseph Highway and Beartooth. I know we wont be able to see everything but I also plan to make a trip back at some point. Mostly I just wanted to make sure we wouldn't t have problems on Gas. Thanks for the info.
Ah, yea, you'll definitely want to plan more trips. The google maps route from Steamboat to Cody is a route I've never taken, but I've ridden all over out here and have never had issues so long as I didn't pass a station without topping off.

Using the google maps and gas stations search like the other poster mentioned is a good tool for planning and being sure. But I still wouldn't pass a station without topping off. I've come across more than handful of gas stations that were either closed the day I was there or had run out of gas.

Quick Reply: planning my Yellowstone trip?