Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

MYRTLE BEACH--Motel Advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 04:39 PM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts

My uncle and aunt retired in Surfside beach, south MB, closer to Merrels inlet...plenty of mom and paw for cheap, but quality motels. We stay at his pad, but can check this weekend with him... My choice for brunch is the Sundowner grill in Surfside beach. Killer shrimp and grits....

Last edited by duglaura&flhti; 05-13-2017 at 07:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
2AMGuy (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 09:32 PM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts

when i went to MB we rented a house. now a days check out air bnb

Old 05-20-2017, 12:57 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions.

As of now, our plan is to stay in Surfside Beach and tour from there.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:23 PM
cobalt07
Road Master
Received 243 Likes on 152 Posts

Make sure you state your on a bike. Thanks to trouble makers a couple years back, many places refuse motorcycles on property. Saw a lot of " no motorcycles" in August of 2015.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:34 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cobalt07
Make sure you state your on a bike. Thanks to trouble makers a couple years back, many places refuse motorcycles on property. Saw a lot of " no motorcycles" in August of 2015.
I sure did!
In fact the manager commented that there were some bikers staying there and that they were out for a ride as we were speaking.

Thanks.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:40 PM
JL1103
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
Sometime this summer there will be 4 of us (guys) on 4 bikes looking for 2 Queen bed rooms in a nice, safe, reasonably priced (under $125 per night hopefully) motel for three or four nights.

Doesn't have to be the Ritz but can't be the Bates motel either!

Anyone here stayed in such a place that they could recommend?

We (I) like a pool, bar/restaurant within walking distance, fridge in room and I'm thrilled.
Some of the Hotels on the Grand Strand fit that bill. I go Every year and stay at the Beach Colony resort. This place is really nice. They have some cheaper rooms without the efficiency. They have several pools and are on the beach.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:23 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

ooops. Wrong thread. This phone makes me nuts!

Last edited by IronAss; 09-16-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:13 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

I thought I'd finally get around to doing an update on my (our) trip to Myrtle Beach, SC in August and I'm also adding some additional info about a later trip down to Charleston, SC a couple of weeks ago.

Met up with my two cousins and had breakfast at the Lizzard's Thicket (a small chain of local) restaurants in Florence, SC. Great southern style food and prompt, friendly service.

We proceeded to head towards Myrtle Beach and stopping at the local the H-D dealerships (collecting poker chips).
We decided to stay in Surfside Beach (Comfort Inn) and after a foolish stop at a Burger King for a snack, we got "almost" to our motel before the storm caught us!
I was leading and when the first, hard wind gust hit, I knew that we needed to find shelter and we were fortunately driving by a little shopping center and we ducked into a little pastry shop. I only had coffee but the "goodies" looked too good for my cousins to ignore so they both pigged-out!

After the rain stopped, we headed south for one more dealership stop and then on to the Comfort Inn.
The folks at the Inn were great and let us park our bikes right out front under the canopy.

The rain however, was nearly non-stop after that but my cousin got bored and made a run to the store for snacks (and beer for me).
Dinner at the B-B-Q place next door that evening and lunch the following day.
Good food, but we gave in and "Ubered" over to Crabby Mike's" for dinner Tuesday evening. All-You-Can-Eat seafood and I think we all ate far too much!
The rain ceased enough for us to make the 1/2 mile (or so walk) back to the motel.
Wednesday (our last day there) he rain was still coming down so we "suited up" and headed down to Charleston, SC to visit the naval display (aircraft carrier, a destroyer, and a WWII sub).
An interesting tour and I soon discovered that I would NOT have been a good candidate for sub duty. WOW, what tight quarters!
Our ride home that afternoon/evening was wetter than our ride down!
Heavy rain and we taking a break and having an early dinner at Hardee's before making the last leg of the trip home.

The following morning---we left in the rain and the farther we rode, the heavier the rain got and I think we finally ran out of it somewhere near Marion, SC.
After that, the sun came out and the temps went up and we ended up in Statesville, NC that afternoon which was a planned stop and where we would be separating the following day.
One of my cousins rides a '99 Heritage (EVO)Springer and his rocker boxes were beginning to seep really badly so we went to the dealership that evening and made an appointment to have it fixed first thing the following morning.

No reason for me to hang around since we were splitting that day, so after a fast breakfast I headed north. It looked like more rain but I didn't suit-up and I made it to Beckley, WV dry and when I stopped for fuel I called to check on them and they were STILL at the dealership but the bike was almost done.
I continued north to Charleston, WV (my planned stop) without a single drop of rain. I was a bit early for check-in at my motel so I shot across town to the H-D dealership in South Charleston to look around and to kill a few minutes.
Back at the motel, I checked in and walked across the parking lot for some beer and snacks and when I got back to my room I called the guys again and they were "on the road" again but had only made it about 30 miles before they hit a downpour and had packed it in for the night.

I had planned on a visit with my nephew and great nephew, but do to some unforeseen problems they couldn't get to town so I had to drink nearly all of the beer myself!

The following day I had a pretty good breakfast at the motel and hit the road just after the morning rush hour and made it all the way home, again, without a single drop of rain! I'm starting to think those guys may be jinxed or something.
BTW, this was my second bike trip to SC this summer.

A couple of weeks ago the wife had business in Charleston. SC so I decided to tag along. We flew down (my first flight in over 10 years and I hate I) and stayed right on the waterfront.
We walked to the marina for lunch the first day but after that we "Ubered" most everywhere we went. The Uber service in Charleston is amazingly fast and all of the drivers were nice and helpful.
FWIW, we only used one taxi (from the airport to the hotel) and he was the unfriendliest, unhelpful driver we had during the entire trip.

We had dinner (as someone had suggested previously) at the Swig & Swine.
My wife was hesitant at first, but she's still telling everyone about the Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie (the banana pudding wasn't too bad either)!

We had dinner with some folks at Anson's.
We split a pan fried Flounder, some She Crab soup and it was excellent too.

The following day we had brunch at the Palmetto Restaurant located in a very nice motel (can't remember the name) and I think this was/is will be one of my favorite restaurants for a long time. Very eloquent and they had shrimp & grits and one of my all-time favorites, blitzes served with a fruit topping!!! I was ready to top after the first plate but my wife knew how much I liked the blitzes so she went and got me TWO more. A sinful pleasure.

Someone here had suggested Hyman's Seafood but an employee at out hotel, as well as three Uber drivers said they felt that it was not as good as it once was so we skipped that one.

Charleston is definitely a nice (not cheap) city to visit with a lot of history with some very good guided tours, a lot of markets for shopping, and a lot of very nice restaurants but unfortunately for me, I have a doctor appointment in the morning and I have a feeling it ain't gonna be fun!

Thanks for all of he suggestions and I hope some of this may be helpful if anyone decides to visit this town.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:26 PM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 814 Likes on 498 Posts

Most enjoyable read ! Like me you 'ride to eat' !...b.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:33 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 266 Likes on 171 Posts

Comfort Inn in Surfside is where we always stay. It is safe and bike friendly. Teresa is the General Manager and has been there for close to 20 years. Once you stay there she won't forget you. It is a mile or so from the H-D dealer, a few miles from Suck Bang Blow, Greg's Cabana Bar other bars and just about any restaurant you'd want. IMO Surfside/Murrell's Inlet/Garden City area is where you might have the most fun.

Quick Reply: MYRTLE BEACH--Motel Advice needed.