Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Oregon Road Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 11:30 PM
texasbub
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oregon Road Advice

Planning on a trip from Western Washington to Ketchum, ID. Trip out is to Missoula and then south on 93 and 75 to Ketchum. Return trip will take me through Redmond, OR, which is just north of Bend.

Question I have is should I take 20 or 26 to get to Redmond once I leave I-84 on my return trip? First time through that part of the country.

Both routes look interesting. Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Old 06-12-2017, 11:55 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Cool

Here's some advice. Don't go to Oregon. Speed limits are low and the cops are ****.

Avoid highway 97 north south highway that goes through Bend. Boring.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:15 AM
missionwop
Road Captain
Received 546 Likes on 219 Posts

$600.00 ticket last time i went to Oregon

Old 06-13-2017, 01:14 AM
texasbub
Advanced

Originally Posted by missionwop
$600.00 ticket last time i went to Oregon
I gotta ask...what was it for?

Old 06-13-2017, 06:42 AM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

i thought the Oregon coast was one o the best roads i've riidden---no problem w/police

Old 06-13-2017, 09:52 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Originally Posted by texasbub
Planning on a trip from Western Washington to Ketchum, ID. Trip out is to Missoula and then south on 93 and 75 to Ketchum. Return trip will take me through Redmond, OR, which is just north of Bend.

Question I have is should I take 20 or 26 to get to Redmond once I leave I-84 on my return trip? First time through that part of the country.

Thanks
26. Much nicer ride. Then 20 to Newport if you want the ocean. Avoid Portland like the plague. If you have to go there, take 205 around it.

26 to Portland is nice. But then you have Portland, and I-5

The best Mountain route after Redmond would be 97 North to Yakima, and then west towards Mt Rainier. I suggest going up the Mountain. That is a fabulous Motorcycle road. No disappointments there .... unless it is raining.

Ok, if you decide I-5.... then go up Mt St Helens. At the bottom at the gas station put Pink Floyds Dark side of the Moon on. It ends at the top parking lot. And the place is a moon scape.

Ya, don't speed. Last time I went through there was a speed trap on 97 and they pulled over everything. I was ok.

One more thing. You are not far away from Crater lake. That is a bucket list ride. Go there.

Ok. There where two more things. Go north from Ketchum, west at Stanley, up to Lewiston, and South to Enterprise and through Hells canyon (bucket list ride).

Crap, there where Three. Take the summer off and become a bum and go everywhere like I am. I am leaving for Alaska on Saturday. Kick stands up in Vancouver BC, at 9 am. Make sure your fueled .....

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 06-13-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:34 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by texasbub

Thanks
I like Hwy 26 .
The Coffee Cup in Hamilton,MT is always a great food stop.On the hwy to your left as you go through Hamilton.
Hwy 93 is a pretty ride.Look out for deer late in the day around Salmon,Id.
You could avoid the Ketchum crowd and at Stanley,Id take Hwy 21 to Boise.A great ride.Or cut off 21 on Banks-Lowman Road and stay in McCall,Id on the lake. Fantastic and real nice local folks.(Check on road construction )

Old 06-13-2017, 12:44 PM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by woodman
...and at Stanley,Id take Hwy 21 to Boise.A great ride.Or cut off 21 on Banks-Lowman Road and stay in McCall,Id on the lake. Fantastic and real nice local folks.(Check on road construction )
ID 21 is washed out in the middle of nowhere between Stanley and Lowman and a good part of 21 is closed UFN.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/highway-21-...nley/445817676

Old 06-13-2017, 06:21 PM
texasbub
Advanced

Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like 26 is the way to go rather than 20. Will also take 26 from Redmond, thru Government Camp and pick up 205 outside Gresham. Too bad about Idaho 21 closure. Maybe next time for that.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:04 PM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I live in Portland and I am trying understand the question. If you are looking for routes over the Cascades from Bend/Redmond, there are four routes, all are great rides. The furthest south goes due west from Redmond, thru Sisters on OR 242 where it hooks into OR 126, which will take you to Eugene/ Springfield. The nexy hiway north is US 20 from Redmond Sisters and it goes into I 5 at Albany Or. There are some steep twisty section so it is not all that easy to ride. The third route starts as US20 but just passed the summit, you will see OR22. It starts going due north and then turns west where it terminates in So. Salem at I 5. US26 is probably the busiest, going from US97 to Madras, and from there, up and over Mt Hood. For just a little more time, consider going out to the Gorge to The Dalles and take WA14 through the Gorge.

One last thing. Through Idaho, go to Stanley, then take 21 to Lowman. In Lowman, take Banks Lowman Rd which goes due west, rather then south. It winds up in Garden Valley and ID 55. I believe the washout is after Lowman and not before it (but check).

Quick Reply: Oregon Road Advice