Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Columbia Gorge

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 07:54 AM
rottnutz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Columbia Gorge

Took a nice ride from the Puget Sound down I5 to 205 then to I84 VNam Vet's Highway along the Columbia River Gorge. Beautiful day, excellent sights along the way. Crossed back over to Washington at Biggs Junction highway 97 to Goldendale.

Great views of Mt. Adams. Ran into a spot of road construction going on in the Yakima Indian Res, not too long then headed in to Yakima. Picked up hwy 12 to White Pass. You can head up mountain and link up with 410 which is a nice ride in itself, but I chose White Pass.

Road is rough but the views made it worth my while. More road work just outside of Packwood. Continued on to Morton, then over to Elbe and back into Tacoma. Had spots of drizzle, nothing to brag about. Over the Narrows bridge back to Bummertown and home.

557 miles total. Avg mpg was 36.5 even with hammering on it a bunch.

If you like waterfalls, the Gorge is the route to go. Hwy 14 along the river on the WA side looks interesting. Maybe next time.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:27 AM
crabio
Tourer
Received 107 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by rottnutz
Hwy 14 along the river on the WA side looks interesting. Maybe next time.
Hey rottnutz. I thought that too last year ... till I did it. The highway on that side is absolutely horrible. Beat. To. Hell. Couldn't enjoy hardly any of the ride. That and the fact that it seems like truckers love that route as well and I was constantly dodging them the entire time as well.

Bummertown. Haven't heard it called that in a while LOL. Got stationed here in '82 and never left. Out by Wildcat Lake. Where you at?

Old 06-19-2017, 10:45 AM
rottnutz
Road Captain

I'm across the Bridge in Manette. Good to know bout 14. Thanks.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:30 PM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The words about WA14 through the Gorge are a bit harsh. I ride it all the time. Yes, this last winter chewed up a lot between Stevenson and Home Valley but the county and state crews jumped on it and fixed most of it (as of late May). I do not see what all the fuss is about. The "old road" (US 30)on the OR side is horribly slow especially on the weekends since this is where the tourist come and park and hike. I 84 is, well, a freeway. I love WA 14 with its tunnels, twists and it follows close to the Columbia River for long stretches.

The following users liked this post:
rottnutz (06-24-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 12:52 AM
texasbub
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DBlass
The words about WA14 through the Gorge are a bit harsh. I ride it all the time. Yes, this last winter chewed up a lot between Stevenson and Home Valley but the county and state crews jumped on it and fixed most of it (as of late May). I do not see what all the fuss is about. The "old road" (US 30)on the OR side is horribly slow especially on the weekends since this is where the tourist come and park and hike. I 84 is, well, a freeway. I love WA 14 with its tunnels, twists and it follows close to the Columbia River for long stretches.
I rode 14 today and agree with DBlass. It was a first for me and I'd recommend it to anyone. Great views of the river and you go through some cool little towns.

rottnutz (06-24-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 09:15 PM
astro451
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DBlass
I agree, it's one of my favorite rides. It connects to Klickatat highway, Centerville HWY and these's the Carson/ Cougar loop. It's got some rough spots and sometimes the drivers are painfully slow but the ride itself is great.

rottnutz (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 08:56 AM
rottnutz
Road Captain

That settles it, it's on the to-do list. Probably when I head down for the Pendleton Bike week. Appreciate the comments.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:26 AM
hdmech
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

We are headed that way in a couple of weeks too. That's the way we had planned. Good to know.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:37 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Going on a tour this August. Will stop to recharge in Hood River. For 2 days. On the "off day", will take the Oregon side via the Historic Columbia highway to Multnomah Falls, Crowne Point, Bonneville Dam. Cross at Bridge of the Gods, then back to Hood River on the Washington side.

Can't wait!!!