Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

My trip to Glacier!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 08:24 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default My trip to Glacier!

Last winter my coworker and riding partner said we should go out west on our trip this year. Since I have been out there I should plan the route.

So we set out making plans. The plan was to head from MN to Red lodge then North West to Glacier. From Glacier down through Yellow Stone to Jackson back through Yellow Stone to Cody. Then back to Red Lodge and head home.

With the route set we started making the rest of the plans and telling some of the other guys we ride with about our plan. By March we had 9 guys going. So I adjusted room plans.

Fast forward to August. My wife and I are out in Sturgis and head for Glacier. All is good we have a great time. The only thing that is out of place are the fires that are scattered through out Montana. Everyone was on alert but everything seamed to be under control ( talked with a few fire fighters and they said they were managing the fires and keeping them up in the mountians away from towns and people the best they could.). So we are back home and back to planning. Then we are down to 5 then 4 guys for the ride. Yep adjust the room plans!

Our plan is to leave Aug. 30th and return Sept 10. On the 24 the last 2 guys backed out. Now it is just the 2 of us. ( I told him the first week we started to plan it was going to be us 2) Lol. Then the next day my partner calls and asks if I wanted to go to the Dragon instead. Sure why not because by this time the fires out west are starting to make a real mess of things by closing roads and forcing evacuations.

Ok you call and get rooms and I will call and cancel. All is good!

Aug 30th I make a 100 mile run to meet him and we are off. First day is following the Mississippi south to Savanna Il. and to Poopys for the night.
It is a week night and town was slow so we had a few beers and hit the room.
Day 2 We head South East to Indianapolis. About 375 miles. We planned a stop at the NHRA Nationals for the drag races. Our plan was to spend the evening watching the races as my buddy follows the top fuel dragster guys. Then head out in the morning toward Tennessee. The races were great. And by saying he follows the racers, well it turns out to be a under statement. As we walked down pit row the teams were calling him out by name and inviting us into there hospitality tents for whatever we wanted to eat/drink.
While all of this was going on the sky to the East and south of us filled with the heaviest rain clouds I have seen in a long time.

Day 3 As we are watching the morning news we get a better feel for the weather. It turns out it is the tail end of the hurricane that went through Texas a few days earlier. The forecast was for rain the next few days in the direction we planned to go. So now what? Hey I know lets go back to the races for another day. So off we went! Day two of the races were just as fun as the night before. Good times were had by all. His favorite team even won the 100k shoot out that night. Out for a late dinner and a few drinks then back to the room for the night.

Day 4 Breakfast at IHOP and decide what to do. As we ate we both avoided the subject but a decision has to be made. So it finely comes out that neither of us want to ride knowing that we are heading into the rain for at least 2 if not 3 more days, of rain and not knowing if we will get good riding when we are at the Dragon.
Yep you guest it. Head back West to Savanna and Poopys for the night.

Day 5 Head back north along the river towards home.

Day 6 Working on the Honey do list and running a few errands along with a couple day trips for the rest of the week.

In the end it was one of the best trips I have been on. Even though plans changed at every intersection it was all good.

Back at work the next week.

Buddy: Where should he go next year
Me: I don't know, out west?
Buddy: Or maybe try the Dragon again in the spring?
Me: You know it will just be the two of us.
Buddy: Yep I'll tell the guys.

Life Is Good!

Old 09-18-2017, 12:38 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,525 Likes on 1,617 Posts

It's hard to make plans, and especially hard to make reservations for others so far in advance. as the bumper sticker (used to) says "S*** Happens" and the more people that you're dealing with, the more the chances increase of them changing their plans, voluntarily or involuntarily.

I make out an itinerary, list the motels by name and telephone number and then let the chips fall where they may.

Sounds like you had a fun trip and that's all that counts.

I had two nice vacations this summer and even though one involved a lot of rain, we had no accidents and no breakdowns and you can't ask for more than that.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:25 PM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Sounds like a fun time either way. Being on a motorcycle beats any other day though

Old 09-19-2017, 03:54 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Good story and I am glad to see that others start with several riders as plans are getting made but then down to a few as the day gets closer

Sounds like you guys made the most out of it and had a good time and thats all that really matters

Old 09-19-2017, 05:50 AM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

Ah............ no pictures?

Old 09-19-2017, 08:16 AM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=2AMGuy I make out an itinerary, list the motels by name and telephone number and then let the chips fall where they may. [/QUOTE]

I do the same. I spend 20+ hours laying out a 4-6 day trip with things to see, places we will visit, any entrance fees, routes we will take, and where I will spend each night. I tell them this is a rain or shine ride, so have good rain gear with you. I send and email 3 days before departure to those who "say they are going" that I will be staying at these motels and they have X-number of rooms available now. I list several other motels in the area with phone numbers and prices if they don't like where I am staying. Motel reservations are up to everyone going unless I am rooming with someone, then I tell that person where we are staying each night. After that I say I am rolling out at x hours sharp, and if they show up one minute late they better twist the throttle if they want to ride with us. They know up front the approximate mileage, and that I don't eat fast food, I'm on vacation and want to sit down and have someone serve me the meals. When we stop for fuel everyone gets fuel and it is just that, a 10-15 minute fuel stop, not a time to spend an hour talking to each biker that rolls in for fuel. I try to arrive at the motel before 5 pm to clean up, rest, have a good meal, and have some time after dinner to discuss the ride that day.