Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

2018 Colorado Trip

Old 12-06-2017, 05:23 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

You're gonna be pressed for time, but here is my take on coming home through Kansas or Nebraska. That is a definite no go. Head back through either the Black Hills or Wyoming and see the Devils Tower and the Big Horn mountains.

Also think Gunnison provides a good central location to do some rides from. Aspen is great also, but very pricey. Aspen is a great place to eat breakfast and have coffee on the sidewalk and watch people that are <better> than you walk by.

Last edited by jmorganroadglide; 12-06-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:03 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
You're gonna be pressed for time, but here is my take on coming home through Kansas or Nebraska. That is a definite no go. Head back through either the Black Hills or Wyoming and see the Devils Tower and the Big Horn mountains.

Also think Gunnison provides a good central location to do some rides from. Aspen is great also, but very pricey. Aspen is a great place to eat breakfast and have coffee on the sidewalk and watch people that are <better> than you walk by.
Agree here with using Gunnison as a base for the southern part of the state. I spent some time a few years past working out a trip from Wisconsin that used Gunnison as their base. You can head back north to Independence Pass, drop down through Aspen, turn south to Paonia, and finish coming west-to-east across the north rim of the Gunnison (one really long day), next morning head to Durango (spend the night there), on the third day head east from Durango to South Fork - turn north to Creede - Lake City and end up in Gunnison that next night. The itinerary worked great for them and they came back and did the exact same ride again a few years later. This next year (2018) the road across Cottonwood Pass will be fully paved so you can head north from Gunnison to Crested Butte (one pretty special little town)...swing down ten miles and turn east to Cottonwood Pass and over the Buena Vista. Head north to I-70...swing east over Loveland Pass...down to pick up the highway to Winter Park - Granby - Grand Lake and drive over the top of Trail Ridge Road (this might be best done in two days- spend the night in Grand Lake). Once in Estes Park you can head NE to pick up I-25 near Ft. Collins....then north to Wyoming and the Black Hills.

Last edited by Whiskers; 12-07-2017 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:59 AM
Waterman1
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by CrBear
Thanks Waterman, I had found that too. I just don't know which are the top 10 ! ha
I enjoyed the Guanella Pass, but I'd like to do the Million Dollar again, and hit as "Whiskers" suggested "North Rim of the Black Canyon". It was really Cool going through the Gateway canyons, would like to hit that then head into Utah. (if you think its worth it, and I'm guessing you do?)
I haven't hit Gateway canyon yet but will next June. I know several people that live closer to it and LOVE it. One good friend always states that it is one of his favorite roads.

North Rim of the Black Canyon - DO. Million Dollar Highway - DO but I would make it the San Juan Loop. The San Juan Loop is just gorgeous.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:58 AM
107inMO
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

If you get to Utah and in the Mexican Hat area, be sure and eat at the diner that is at the bridge overlooking the river. Just North is Gooseneck State Park and then Moki Dugway. The ride up Moki is not for beginners, but is a fantastic view! Straight part is hard packed gravel but the curves are paved. You will only be going about 10 mph but ride is unbelievable!