Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Seattle to SF

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 05:13 AM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

Try HD Ride Planner, hit the motel button on the bottom.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:16 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

This would be first trip to fly and rent bikes.

Not sure about logistics of it all. Helmets, cold gear, etc.

Not too concerned about clothing, just some basics, jeans, T-shirts, socks and privys.

But, I understand the weather can have a fairly extreme range of temps and of course rain.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:28 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,105 Likes on 8,922 Posts

It can be cold and wet. Take Electrics and rain gear. And your own helmets. When I Motel, I use Bookings to look to see what is available and generally book the night before. There is a good range of units price wise. The closer you are to the beach, the newer the place, the more expensive. But $100 a night is doable, unless you stay in Cannon Beach, or other high end resort towns.

There are side roads and other things to see and do and I will post them up a bit at a time for you.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:15 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,903 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Figure about $125 a night average for a decent hotel, they can be had cheaper but tend to be a bit on the seedy side in the small towns. Expect wet weather that's a given, and fog can be pretty heavy in places along the coast.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:29 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Go prepared for cold/damp. The coast North of SFO is vastly different than South of SFO. I spent a few days in Crescent City a few summers ago and a couple of the days were quite cold and very damp. Be prepared for some beautiful scenery, too.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:43 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master

Are the hotels usually available in July along 101 heading around the coast?

Don't want to run into some crazy tourist season like Yellowstone in summer.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:22 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by ROUNDHEAD
Are the hotels usually available in July along 101 heading around the coast?

Don't want to run into some crazy tourist season like Yellowstone in summer.
There are lots of motels/hotels on the coast. I never have had a problem finding a place on the same day I was looking. My suggestion is to figure out how far you want to go and book a room the previous night or early in the day.

Surf Motel and Gardens in Fort Bragg is a great place. Park your bike in front of your door, quiet and a nice complimentary breakfast. Really nice mom & pop Motel. I liked Fort Bragg. There are some nice restaurants there. I have stayed in the town a few times.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:48 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,903 Likes on 17,471 Posts

I've never had an issue finding a room, had to be flexible on the price range occasionally and I never call ahead. You just wind your day down a little earlier, gives you time to unwind and enjoy what the area has to offer. That's one of the real benefits of the west coast adventure, find yourself a nice restaurant with a view and soak in the sunsets over the water.

Old 01-20-2018, 02:25 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I've never had an issue finding a room, had to be flexible on the price range occasionally and I never call ahead. You just wind your day down a little earlier, gives you time to unwind and enjoy what the area has to offer. That's one of the real benefits of the west coast adventure, find yourself a nice restaurant with a view and soak in the sunsets over the water.
That’s it in a nutshell. I would get up in the morning, ride for an hour, find a nice little restaurant for Breakfast. Stop along the way and get a sandwich. Another her hour or so and have lunch, maybe at a light house. Find a motel, find a restaurant for supper with an ocean view. Fish & Chips for supper. Get to the beach for the sunset. The less miles the better.

I am planning a two week ride from Port Angeles to LA IN a few years .... on the Pan. 100 mile days. It would be in a September, the first 2 weeks.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:05 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master

Ha, It would not be good for me to eat that much out on the bike. Thanks for the info and hope you have a good day.

Quick Reply: Seattle to SF