Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Idaho help needed...

Old 02-18-2018, 07:14 PM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Idaho help needed...

heading to Idaho in July and starting to plan some routes. I came across the deserted mining town of Burk the canyon that Burke is in looks like a great road. The only problem I have is we will be coming from Heron Montana and the last(or first) 12 miles looks like dirt? has anyone been down this route? can you give any insight? is it dirt? if so is it passable? worth it?

here the route on google...Idaho 200 to Fr 400 to FR 7623

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Burk...520278!1m0!3e0

Last edited by scumBAGGER; 02-18-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:33 PM
ghostrunner
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by scumBAGGER
heading to Idaho in July and starting to plan some routes and came across the deserted mining town of Burke!! the canyon that Burke is in looks like a great road the only problem I have is we will be coming from Heron Montana and the last(or first) 12 miles looks dirt? has any been this route? can you give any insight? is it dirt? if so is it passable? worth it?

If you don’t get definite answers you call the county highway dept its in and ask them.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:53 PM
Noisy Cricket
Road Warrior
Received 366 Likes on 271 Posts

Use google earth and drill down to the road. You will be able to see if it is paved or gravel. If you don't have an address get as close as you can and follow the road to where to want to go!

Old 02-18-2018, 09:16 PM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Noisy Cricket
Use google earth and drill down to the road. You will be able to see if it is paved or gravel. If you don't have an address get as close as you can and follow the road to where to want to go!
thats how I usually can tell but this is either black dirt or Tar I just cant tell.
I did however just find a old youtube video of a guy who goes to old mining towns and from his video the road closes at burke..

Last edited by scumBAGGER; 02-18-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:21 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrunner
If you don’t get definite answers you call the county highway dept its in and ask them.
That Montana county is Sanders. Good suggestion to give them a call.

Old 02-20-2018, 03:38 PM
Chopper Man
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I’m from Idaho and never heard of it. I’m heading up thru glacier and then over to the west coast in August. Lots of nice rides through this area. I can PM you my cell if you have other questions? I would like to know about the road your talking about. So let me know what you find out. I’ll check around to see if anyone knows. Cary

Old 02-20-2018, 06:46 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by scumBAGGER
heading to Idaho in July and starting to plan some routes. I came across the deserted mining town of Burk the canyon that Burke is in looks like a great road. The only problem I have is we will be coming from Heron Montana and the last(or first) 12 miles looks like dirt? has anyone been down this route? can you give any insight? is it dirt? if so is it passable? worth it?

Coming from Thompson Falls I’ve ridden by where your road to Burke, ID takes off often but never really paid much attention. I called Shoshone County, Idaho where Burke is located and best I could tell on the Idaho side it’s paved, but not on the Montana side where it’s known as County 7623. I’ve ridden to Burke on paved road but it was coming in from Wallace, Idaho. So coming from Heron, Mont. turn south on MT 471 just before Thompson Falls. Follow that road over Thompson Pass, past Murray and turn left at the Coeur d’Alene River Road. In a few miles you’ll come to a fork that will take you to Coeur d’Alene or Wallace. If you take the Wallace fork you'll be able to get to Burke on pavement once you get to Wallace. I mentioned Murray earlier. The Spragpole is a good stop for something to eat or drink. Interesting little museum there about gold mining by dredge along that creek you’re following that’s a tributary to the Coeur d’Alene River you’ll see up ahead. If you follow the river road to Kingston and Coeur d'Alene you’ll find that’s a nice ride, too. Hope that helps if you’re still interested in coming this way.

The following users liked this post:
scumBAGGER (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 07:42 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mtgriz
Coming from Thompson Falls I’ve ridden by where your road to Burke, ID takes off often but never really paid much attention. I called Shoshone County, Idaho where Burke is located and best I could tell on the Idaho side it’s paved, but not on the Montana side where it’s known as County 7623. I’ve ridden to Burke on paved road but it was coming in from Wallace, Idaho. So coming from Heron, Mont. turn south on MT 471 just before Thompson Falls. Follow that road over Thompson Pass, past Murray and turn left at the Coeur d’Alene River Road. In a few miles you’ll come to a fork that will take you to Coeur d’Alene or Wallace. If you take the Wallace fork you'll be able to get to Burke on pavement once you get to Wallace. I mentioned Murray earlier. The Spragpole is a good stop for something to eat or drink. Interesting little museum there about gold mining by dredge along that creek you’re following that’s a tributary to the Coeur d’Alene River you’ll see up ahead. If you follow the river road to Kingston and Coeur d'Alene you’ll find that’s a nice ride, too. Hope that helps if you’re still interested in coming this way.
Thats the route we will be taking. Burke was just a second thought to see on way though we will have to see what kind time we have that day to make the ride up to burke we are working our way to Orifino that day...

Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it!!

If any of you are in that area I recommend checking out The Elk barn In Heron we are looking forward to seeing the place and spending some time there
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/13290956

Old 03-02-2018, 07:06 AM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

if it Orifino that you want to see why not go to Lolo Montana and take the Lolo pas road it is awsome

Old 03-02-2018, 07:23 AM
Idahokid
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mtgriz
The Goldmine hotel in Murray has great pizza.The 1313 club in Wallace is good also.Thompson pass is one of my favorite rides.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Idaho help needed...