Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Best GPS app??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 11:48 AM
Snstr99
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best GPS app??

I'm planning a trip from Maryland to Georgia (approx. 750 mi) in October. I currently use the Rever app to track my rides, but I'm looking for an app that I can map the trip, save it, and have gas station waypoints set about every 180-200 miles. Any suggestions from guys who do a ton of touring? I downloaded the HD app, but it isn't showing me a total distance for my trip, therefore not allowing me to track or save the trip. Thanks in advance, look forward to hearing some of your responses.

Last edited by Snstr99; 07-26-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:52 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I use tyre on my laptop to plan rides and save them as routes/waypoints. Export the GXP file and then import it to my GPS/device

Old 07-26-2018, 08:31 PM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

I like

my route app

Google it. Use pc to create gpx. And phone app too

Old 07-26-2018, 10:44 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

Some good software to consider in this review:

Old 07-27-2018, 07:49 AM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by dh_meyer
I like

my route app

Google it. Use pc to create gpx. And phone app too

Let me expand a bit now that I'm at a PC ................

I downloaded the free version of Tyre to my PC and found it to be a great app. Very easy to use. Never had a problem with it. But then I started to hear about my-route-app, which you can download to your PC at

https://www.myrouteapp.com/en

Its also very easy to use. One thing I really like about it is the associated (free) phone app, which allows you to access/view (and also change) the route from your phone, say, when are stopped for gas, food, whatever.

You did not mention which GPS you are using, but as a Boom user, I can tell you, that FOR ME, it seems like 40-50 waypoints per route is about the maximum I can load into Boom. Also, if you are creating multiple routes, there are some Boom limitations as to how many routes you can have loaded at a time. I keep about 3 routes loaded, and then delete them from Boom when finished, so I can load the next gpx route from my memory stick.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:36 AM
Snstr99
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dh_meyer
Let me expand a bit now that I'm at a PC ................

I downloaded the free version of Tyre to my PC and found it to be a great app. Very easy to use. Never had a problem with it. But then I started to hear about my-route-app, which you can download to your PC at

https://www.myrouteapp.com/en

Its also very easy to use. One thing I really like about it is the associated (free) phone app, which allows you to access/view (and also change) the route from your phone, say, when are stopped for gas, food, whatever.

You did not mention which GPS you are using, but as a Boom user, I can tell you, that FOR ME, it seems like 40-50 waypoints per route is about the maximum I can load into Boom. Also, if you are creating multiple routes, there are some Boom limitations as to how many routes you can have loaded at a time. I keep about 3 routes loaded, and then delete them from Boom when finished, so I can load the next gpx route from my memory stick.
Thanks for all the info. I will just be using my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 5). No separate GPS device. That way I can track my ride and my music with one device

Old 08-07-2018, 06:23 AM
Eggman1
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I use the "Eat, Sleep, Ride" app for letting folks know where I am. It sends an email link to your ride to whomever you want it to so they can track you. For route planning, I map a route that I plan on riding each day using Google Maps. Since ESR sends your location, doesn't really matter if you change directions or destinations on the fly.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:15 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

Can't help your question, but.... on our recent NC trip through the dragon and cherohala we had no service at multiple stops. Drove home me telling my son, I want a map.
But, we got our phones.
They may not work

Your app may do better, just saying

Old 08-14-2018, 08:43 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by road king Q
Can't help your question, but.... on our recent NC trip through the dragon and cherohala we had no service at multiple stops. Drove home me telling my son, I want a map.
But, we got our phones.
They may not work

Your app may do better, just saying
I always have a paper map handy. But... a cell phone does not require cell service for a GPS map to work. I use Maps.Me to download map data to my iPhone when I'm going where there is sporadic cell service or when roaming in the US. Roaming fees will break the bank fast.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:37 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

Yeah. We were using maps on iPhones. Apple version. I wasn't leaving mine open and on. Might have been even closing the app between stops.
Have to learn more....

Quick Reply: Best GPS app??