Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

trip advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 06:38 PM
ozzy49938
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts
Default trip advice

Looking for some trip ideas from members. Have a group of 5 to 9 bikes and we are looking for some ideas for a ride next summer sometime in June. Group will be coming from different areas but plan to meet up around Chicago. Looking at 9 days total so looking at 2 to 3 days to get to an area than ride for 3 or 4 and then head back. Thinking about heading in the direction of Kentucky, Tennessee area. Anyone have any thoughts on riding around this area? Would prefer to make some sort of loop. Looking for a nice scenic type ride away from freeway riding as much as possible. 300 to 400 a day max riding if possible. Minus getting there, willing to push a little harder to get to an area. Open to other areas as well if someone has an idea, but have rode a lot out west and around Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota. So looking for something new. South sounds nice. Thanks for any ideas and thoughts you can give me for the next adventure.
Ozzy

Old 11-25-2018, 07:44 PM
champ198
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts

We have been looking at going to the smokey mtn next summer
take a look at it a lot of really nice rides from what I am gathering

Old 11-25-2018, 07:51 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Western North Carolina is great riding ... great people too Many will chime in with suggestions ... Been there several times and will go again ... last time we rented a 4 bedroom place ( be sure they have a paved driveway ) for the week and it was one of the better trips I've taken in my ( over ) 50 years on two wheels

The following users liked this post:
n5tf (12-20-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 05:10 AM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I go to the area 2-3 times a year. Been through Kentucky, but never any extended riding there. Western NC/Eastern TN is great riding. Do the Dragon once just to get the t-shirt and say you've been there, but it's more for the crotch rocket crowd (in my opinion, anyway). Cherohala Skyway is a nice ride and will be a good gateway ride for you guys since you're coming from up north. Just set your GPS for Tellico Plains, TN. Once you're out of the Cherohala, you can shoot over to the Dragon, then work your way back south past the Fontana Dam and hit the Topton, NC area. There are some great roads there with beautiful lake views in Nantahala National Forest. After that you can shoot over and jump on the Blueridge Parkway around Cherokee. Maggie Valley is a big biker destination and one of my favorite places since childhood. Make sure to visit the Wheels Through Time museum while you're there. It's an awesome experience. You can actually do a lot of great riding in this area with 3-4 days. I'll probably be there in June also. Great time to ride up there.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:28 AM
Kenney
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts
Old 11-26-2018, 05:34 PM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,023 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Originally Posted by jpalm
I go to the area 2-3 times a year. Been through Kentucky, but never any extended riding there. Western NC/Eastern TN is great riding. Do the Dragon once just to get the t-shirt and say you've been there, but it's more for the crotch rocket crowd (in my opinion, anyway). Cherohala Skyway is a nice ride and will be a good gateway ride for you guys since you're coming from up north. Just set your GPS for Tellico Plains, TN. Once you're out of the Cherohala, you can shoot over to the Dragon, then work your way back south past the Fontana Dam and hit the Topton, NC area. There are some great roads there with beautiful lake views in Nantahala National Forest. After that you can shoot over and jump on the Blueridge Parkway around Cherokee. Maggie Valley is a big biker destination and one of my favorite places since childhood. Make sure to visit the Wheels Through Time museum while you're there. It's an awesome experience. You can actually do a lot of great riding in this area with 3-4 days. I'll probably be there in June also. Great time to ride up there.
This ^^^^^^^ you can,t go wrong ---If you,ve never been there,it will be an experience-----Wife and I stayed in a Treehouse in Robbinsville just south off the Dragon on 129 towards Georgia[dry county if you imbibe in the adult beverage] [bring some with you] Copperhead Lodge in North West conner of Georgia [Maybe 60 miles south of Dragon] is another place to hit-----I guess once you hit this area, there is just too much to ride and see-we go back every 2-3 years------I,ll look at some routes to get there that we,ve traveled in the past and post later------Rocker

The following users liked this post:
ozzy49938 (11-26-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 05:50 PM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,023 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Well looking at googlemaps a few minutes ago makes me realize that coming out of Chicago your choices are pretty good for time allotted ---- Eureka Springs is a nice choice---West Virginia is another nice choice and of course Tn/NC/Ga area is great------you can,t go wrong with any of these choices----good luck choosing

Old 11-26-2018, 06:06 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,791 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Again......western NC cant be beat........got a friend that has a B&B in Maggie valley.......awesome area with some great riding the Smokies........Wheels Through Time is a fav spot.......Tail of the Dragon....Blue Ridge Parkway........

Old 11-26-2018, 06:14 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,326 Likes on 8,539 Posts

Head west, of course. If you have never been to Sturgis June is a great time of year.
Chicago to Rapid City. 2 days.
Black Hills/ Custer Park / Mt. Rushmore, Badlands, etc. You can spend 3 days riding there.
Spearfish SD to Little Bighorn MT. To Casper WY Spend night.
Casper WY to Medicine Bow to Granby CO. Hwy 34 through Rocky Mountain National Park to Estes Park CO. Spend night.
Estes Park to Loveland, CO to Cheyenne, WY. And Chicago. I-80. 2 days

Other suggestion to head east Tenn, KY, NC are also excellent. Mammoth Caves Kentucky is a must do.

You might look at Roanoke Virginia and up Shenandoah, Thomas Jefferson’s plantation Monticello east of Charlottesville is one of my favorites.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:15 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,316 Likes on 2,200 Posts

Originally Posted by jpalm
Did this a couple years ago. I would strongly recommend it.

Quick Reply: trip advice