Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Crow repellent

Old 05-12-2019, 10:27 PM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Crow repellent

A couple years ago, a crow pecks holes in my seat, backrest, and speaker grills while I'm watching Old Faithful at Yellowstone.

This week at Arches and Canyonlands, crows sat on my T-bag and backrest ( no damages ).

I do not carry any food on my bike. Are they attracted to my dirty laundry?

I don't seem to notice this in normal, every day situations.

Suggestions ? ( other than do laundry)

Old 05-13-2019, 03:41 AM
Aviator5456
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Crows. They are very smart and they pass their memory down to their young. And they talk to each other. You musta pissed one off at one time and now you're marked. LOL My dog use to go in the back yard barking and chase them. When I'm in the yard and he's not, the crows are silent. But as soon as he come's out, all the crows start cawing, talking to one another. IAs soon as he goes back in, they quite down. I don't know what they're saying but I'm pretty sure its something like "Hey fellas, that pesky dog is in the yard again." And their language is unique, with different sounds which could be like words only they understand.

The following users liked this post:
Sorce (05-18-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 06:26 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,619 Likes on 1,527 Posts

The crows in my area know what day of the week it is. Trash pickup is on Wednesday, and they show up in full force looking for scraps. If pickup is moved to Thursday due to a holiday, they still show up on Wednesday, cawing WTF.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:37 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 600 Likes on 323 Posts

Here ya go .. The intelligence of these brainiest of birds has been compared to that of a seven-year-old human. https://cosmosmagazine.com/social-sc...crows-so-smart

Old 05-13-2019, 07:55 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,974 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
Here ya go .. The intelligence of these brainiest of birds has been compared to that of a seven-year-old human. https://cosmosmagazine.com/social-sc...crows-so-smart
Then put some Lego's in your buddies bike...

I had birds nest under the porch, at the edge of the pool. Nest would make a mess. Finally wired it up, they came back for years, hanging upside down, trying to pull that wire off.. Should had just hit um with the pellet gun..

Old 05-13-2019, 03:42 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

They will bring you gifts (trash, rocks, string, bright colored object they think I’d valuable) in exchange if you feed them . Very smart

Last edited by K Melancon; 05-13-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:53 PM
Bama Lee
Road Warrior
Received 1,536 Likes on 677 Posts

i heard a few speaking a form of "pidgin' english" while hunting deer once....freaked me out until an old farmer explained that they'll roost in the trees around corn fields and learn to mimic whatever they hear including words, trucks, guns firing, combines, etc.

edit....we have a mocking-bird in our back yard that mimics an EMS siren

a small fake owl placed on your bike will keep the crows away

Last edited by Bama Lee; 05-13-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:35 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by barneyboy
The crows in my area know what day of the week it is. Trash pickup is on Wednesday, and they show up in full force looking for scraps. If pickup is moved to Thursday due to a holiday, they still show up on Wednesday, cawing WTF.

I sit outside almost every morning drinking coffee. Out now and I have black birds, sparrows, doves and mocking birds I can see. These birds are normally out. Well at 6:00 I come out to put my garbage and crows are in neighbors trees cawing. Made me think that I never see crows by my house but today is garbage day and here they are.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:21 PM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Bama Lee XLC
a small fake owl placed on your bike will keep the crows away
And crows are supposed to be smart?!

Old 05-18-2019, 02:40 PM
Ultraskier
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dh_meyer
A couple years ago, a crow pecks holes in my seat, backrest, and speaker grills while I'm watching Old Faithful at Yellowstone.

This week at Arches and Canyonlands, crows sat on my T-bag and backrest ( no damages ).

I do not carry any food on my bike. Are they attracted to my dirty laundry?

I don't seem to notice this in normal, every day situations.

Suggestions ? ( other than do laundry)
I was at Old Faithful with Prairie Hawk and another friend 4 years ago. While we were having lunch, the crows pulled open the zippers on our friends tail bag and rooted through his stuff, pulling out most of his clothes. His stuff was all over the parking lot. We thought someone had tried to steal his stuff. But then a passing tourist said he watched the crows go through his bag. The crows in Yellowstone are very smart! (I did ask the tourist why he didn't shoo the crows away, but that's another story)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crow repellent