Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Florida - where should we go?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 11:39 AM
DeLuxeLady
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 13thBama
If you want some more scenery, take 81 South to 77 South. That takes you up the Shenandoah Valley and drops you out of Virginia just north of Charlotte. You then follow 77 south to 26 East and end up in the Charleston area. Great Shopping in Charlotte. Much more than Rocky Mount.

It is a beautiful route. I went down that way from NY a few years ago when my brother first moved to Charlotte. Just make sure you gas up when you get a chance...had a cloooooose call!

Old 03-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Someone mentioned RonJons in Cocoa Beach... I've been there more than a dozen times. It is better as a night trip. If'n ya wanna stay in Cocoa Beach for one night at "Resort On Cocoa Beach". You will probably want to spend two nights there instead of 2 in St. Augustine. Been to both, prefer the resort. Ride south beyond Patrick Air Force Base and hang a right across the intracoastal and ride back up to Cocoa Village and back to the beach. Lotsa NICE houses on that stretch of road. Post this on the Florida Crew page and you will get some great answers.
Another stop you might want to consider with your daughter is Worth Avenue in Palm Beach. At least have your daughter buy a pack of napkins, and make sure she gets a bag! You WILL see cars that cost more than 100 grand on that street! It is where the rich and famous shop. You might even see someone you recognize! Just around the corner is where the mansions are.

Last edited by Thundermug; 03-02-2010 at 03:52 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:02 PM
cybricon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good point, 13thBama

That's a good idea, 13thBama. About 64 miles farther but much more scenaic and as you say, we'd go through Charlotte. We've been down 81 all the way to the Tennessee. Maybe I'll change to that route for one direction.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Iron Butt Pete
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

However you do it whether it's to or from the Keys make sure you go across Route 41 through the everglades. Theres airboat rides (cheap) you can go on and see alligators, for that matter you can see them as you are riding on 41. Watch out for the roadkill gators there a hell of a speedbump! Dont be fooled by signs that say alligator alley thats the highway version and it is in fact alligator alley but the everglades are fenced off and you really cant see anything. Route 41 is the real deal. Just a 2 lane rd. through the wilds. Make sure your tank is full before you get on it. Theres a couple stations but they may not be open. The ride to Key west is absolutly gorgeous! Stop at Bahia Honda state park I think its on Marathon key it;s listed as one of the top 10 beaches in the U.S. Really beautiful. Key West is the BOMB! no other place like it. Pure heaven, Stay at the Wicker House on Duval St. It's set up like an efficiency with stove etc. and each room is different. They also have a pool. About $140.00 a night, but worth it. Have a great ride!!

Old 03-10-2010, 09:03 PM
SwampDawg
Intermediate
Default Detour

Alot more scenic route by not going I-95. Charlotte has Bass Pro , Speedway H.D. and resturants. I would check out Charleston or Savannah too.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:23 AM
madjimmax
Elite HDF Member

If you make it to the gulf side Sanibel and Captiva Islands are a must. Sanibel Island is where Jimmy Buffet wrote Margaritaville. It's an amazing place awsome sunsets.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:15 PM
TheOak
Cruiser

OK I didnt read all the post, so if its metioned my bad. NASCAR will be at Daytona Speedway July 2nd & 3rd. Alot of people come thru my area (Cocoa Beach). We usually do day rides thru Central Florida. Ocala/Gainsville area is nice, everglades. West Coast (Tarpon Springs) is pretty. Pack gear for rain or hurricanes.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:50 PM
cybricon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all!

Old 04-16-2010, 11:16 AM
ginger
Cruiser

hi, reviving a few day old post but what the heck! does your daughter like animals? there is a little spot when you are headed down to sugarloaf key called 'robert is here'. its basically a farm stand with some actual farm animals. but the best part is their one of a kind exotic fruit shakes...yummm! they are a great pick me up on a hot florida day.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:42 AM
jaxbusa
Cruiser

All of these places sound great. I know you'll be with your daughter, but St. Augustine has San Sebastion Winery if you are into a taste test and tour. Sunblock is a must with plenty of stops for water. Air conditioned cabbins are a must and if you are going to be anywhere near woods, get some bug spray. Eat lots of bbq and fish sandwiches. Some restaurants even have gator tail to eat. The Kennedy Space Center is cool but expensive. I live in Jacksonville, Fl. and I can tell you that traffic in this area is horrible in am and pm rush hours. Also, I would just ride through and not stop for gas or food. Good luck and ride safe.

Last edited by jaxbusa; 04-17-2010 at 12:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Florida - where should we go?