Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

spring ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 04:07 PM
weaver
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spring ride

need some info anyone ever take hwy 380 out of tex over to roswell to socorro then 60 over to show low and down to globe? things to see places to stop and stuff thanks
weaver.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:28 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Ah, spring on US 60. Last year on memorial day we came home on 60 from Show Low to Socorro to Roswell. Fought huge crosswinds all day until the Capitan area. We are from the Amarillo area. My strong recommendation is to go from Roswell to Ruidoso to Alamagordo. This has lots of good mountain scenery. US 70 from Alamagordo to Las Cruces is very pretty Desert. North on I-25 to exit 63. Go west on 152 to Silver City. This is an outstanding ride through some mountains with lots of curves(beware-open range) and scenic, also fun. Silver City is a town with lots of artists, etc. Reservations recommended. From Silver City, take US 180 up to state highway 78 over to Clifton, Az. Now for the real ride, take US 191 north to Springerville, AZ. Fill up prior to this loop as it is 3-4 hours with only one fuel stop. Springerville to Show Low on US 60 is a nice ride and much faster than the southern route through Pinetop due to traffic. We have always stayed at a Days Inn in Show Low. Very reasonable, but dated. Clean with good breakfast and nice dining in the evening across the street. Show Low through Snake River Canyon to Globe is wonderful. Globe to Apache Junction is really beautiful. What ever you do, you really need to do the US 191 loop. Forgot to mention the huge open pit mine at Morenci, Az. North of Silver City there is some cliff dwellings that are interesting. To each his own, but US 60 from Springerville to Socorro is flat and not scenic IMHO. Superstition Mountain Harley in Apache Junction is my favorite dealership to visit. From personal experience, highway 88 out of Apache Junction has 22 miles of dirt, dusty washboard roads that is very tough riding on a bagger. If you got time go on up to Prescott and take 89A all the way to Flagstaff. Jerome, Sedona and just incredible scenery.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:28 PM
weaver
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glide
thanks for to info sounds like a nice route I love riding in the desert not to sure about the dirt road want to go that way out then up 93 t0 vegas then up to 50 take it back to oklahoma.