Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Crossing Into Canada With a DUI?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 11:52 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a racket. When I worked for the Alaska ferry system we were docking in Prince Rupert and we had guys who had DUI's and were told they needed to pay $200 for a "background check" and then they would be allowed to enter. Well obviously they already did a background check and seen they had a DUI.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:55 AM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
It's a racket. When I worked for the Alaska ferry system we were docking in Prince Rupert and we had guys who had DUI's and were told they needed to pay $200 for a "background check" and then they would be allowed to enter. Well obviously they already did a background check and seen they had a DUI.
The $200 is for a 'Rehabilitation Waiver' or a 'Temporary Resident Visa.'

Old 04-04-2012, 11:58 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by drspencer
The $200 is for a 'Rehabilitation Waiver' or a 'Temporary Resident Visa.'
Whatever it is called it is a racket.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:01 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
Whatever it is called it is a racket.
I agree.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:52 AM
FinallyRiding
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

A few years ago a friend of mine that had a DUI was told to pull forward he was denied entrance into Canada, the border patrol had typed his LP in wrong and then he had difficulty getting back into the US. He was held up there for about 3 hours while they figured it out.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:47 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

If it's any consolation the US border guards are just as tough on us when we try to cross.

It took me an hour to cross last summer when I rode down to Sturgis. I made the mistake of saying I was going there. I should have lied and said I was going to visit my grandma or something.

She tried so hard to get me to admit to something. "Who are you riding with" "What club do you belong to", "Who are you meeting in sturgis", on and on.

Finally took me into the office and searched me, searched the bike. Didn't find a thing of interest and finally let me cross.

They are mean down there.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:34 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

you will have a harder time getting back into the US, then going into Canada.. i sat in a customs office for 17 hours once..never did get a reason..

The following users liked this post:
sbarron (02-26-2018)
Old 04-07-2012, 08:00 AM
2weelr
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had DWIs in the past(last one in '92)and rode into Canada in 2010. North shore of Lake Superior. Took about two minutes to pass through. No problems. From what I've looked at online there is a rehabilitation period policy they go by, possibly five years or more. Or agents disgression.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:50 AM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 2weelr
I've had DWIs in the past(last one in '92)and rode into Canada in 2010. North shore of Lake Superior. Took about two minutes to pass through. No problems. From what I've looked at online there is a rehabilitation period policy they go by, possibly five years or more. Or agents disgression.
Even after you go through the 'Rehabilitation' period, or have absolutely no record at all, it's still at the Agents discretion.

They have the right to refuse anyone, anytime, and are not required give any reason, but usually will.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:07 AM
PMC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had a guy in our group last summer who had a DUI in the early 90s who passed through no problem both at the Sarnia crossing north of Detroit and again coming back through Niagara Falls NY.
One of the guys has a son with the same name who has a conceal and carry permit in MN and got more of a hassle than the one with the DUI... but did get through without much of a hold up.

Quick Reply: Crossing Into Canada With a DUI?