Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Looking for trip advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 02:45 PM
xtheunknown
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for trip advice

I'm going to do a trip starting in Ann Arbor, MI and ending in Milwaukee. I am going to go up to the UP of Michigan and then around Lake Michigan. I'm looking for tips on things to see, great roads to take, etc. I grew up in Michigan, so I'm covered from A2 to the Mackinac Bridge. I haven't been to the UP in the last 30 years, so I'd be interested for tips from the bridge over to Wisconsin and down to Milwaukee. Of course I will be seing the H-D museum and maybe a factory tour, but what is there to see along the way?

Old 05-29-2012, 09:20 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Hey Neighbor!

It all depends on how much time you have and how many miles you want to ride.
You could easily add a couple of days to your trip going this way.

If you feel like riding up to Paradise, the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum is less than 10 miles north of Paradise.
Paradise has a nice Best Western motel with a great view of Whitefish Bay (Lake Superior).
Just west of Paradise is Upper and Lower Tahquamenon Falls which as a great restaurant on site (seasonal) but if you're going by bike that shouldn't be an issue.

Going west you have Pictured Rocks but I'm not sure about the road condition.
Farther west and north is Cooper Harbor that has a lot of sceninc roads as well as Brockway Mountain and you could easily spend a full day touring there.
Down the northwest coast you have the Porcupine Mountains.
A short trip to see the "Lake in the Clouds" is well worth your time.
The nearest town is Silver City which has a very good motel and restaurant, but the largest town in that area is Ontonagon.
If you go through the little town of Rockland (just a few miles from Ontonagon) you should drop in "Henry's" for a burger..they're GREAT and the place has a history (on the menu's) that's a good read.
Last time I was there, just down the street from Henry's, was an ice cream parlor that allows you to tour the old bank vault.

I'm heading up that way myself the week after the Fourth of July.

Take rain gear, leathers and ride safe!

Old 05-31-2012, 09:17 AM
riskmanager
Cruiser
Default Door County

Here is a link that is really good for Wisconsin
http://www.statetrunktour.com/index.php

Also, suggest you go to Door County. That is the "thumb" in the state outline.
Wilson's in Ephraim for ice cream. Every weekend there si something going on. Best supper club is Greenwood Supper Club. Great roads all over.

have fun

Attached Thumbnails Looking for trip advice-we-ve-walked-we-ve-eaten-we-re-happy.jpg  
Old 05-31-2012, 01:00 PM
andrrewdamien
Intermediate

If you are going to European countries, then Portugal has to be on your record and you could still live/travel there very low-priced. Not as inexpensive as it used to be, but still inexpensive. So importance of place is on very high node for long trips.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:59 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Good info above (except the Portugal part ). Once you get out of the U.P. consider taking Hwy 55 to Shawano. Very curvy and scenic road that runs along the Wolf river. You can continue south on 187 into Shiocton where there's a nice place to eat overlooking the river (forget the name - sorry). South of Shiocton isn't going to be stunning but you can take hwy 32/57 down to Milwaukee. It's mostly farmland and small towns.

If you end up riding the coast (Hwy 35) it's mostly tall pines on each side of the road and you don't see too much of the lake. But, it's still a nice ride. Stop at Mickey -Lu'sBBQ in Marinette. Great old school burger joint.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:27 PM
andrrewdamien
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nevada72
Good info above (except the Portugal part ). Once you get out of the U.P. consider taking Hwy 55 to Shawano. Very curvy and scenic road that runs along the Wolf river. You can continue south on 187 into Shiocton where there's a nice place to eat overlooking the river (forget the name - sorry). South of Shiocton isn't going to be stunning but you can take hwy 32/57 down to Milwaukee. It's mostly farmland and small towns.

If you end up riding the coast (Hwy 35) it's mostly tall pines on each side of the road and you don't see too much of the lake. But, it's still a nice ride. Stop at Mickey -Lu'sBBQ in Marinette. Great old school burger joint.

Thank you for your suggestions and replying me in such kind way. It is really one of the most interesting threads I had visited ever.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:51 PM
xtheunknown
Intermediate

Thanks for all the suggestions. I had been to Tahquamenon Falls when I was a kid but don't remember much. Never went much further than that, so the tips for further west in the UP are appreciated. Thanks for the advice on the lake road in WI. I assumed it would be like the coast roads here in New England. Most of them run right next to the ocean.

I still don't get the Portugal comment, but if I ever get to Europe on my bike, I'll consider it.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:25 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by andrrewdamien
Thank you for your suggestions and replying me in such kind way. It is really one of the most interesting threads I had visited ever.
I'm not sure how to take this but I was not trying to offend just to be clear. I just don't get how Portugal applies to the question asked so I couldn't really say it was good advice on riding through Wisconsin. Again - no offense meant.

Ride safe.