Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

West Coast Trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default West Coast Trip

Well, for my summer vacation I decided I wanted to hit the coast. I'll be leaving SLC, UT on 7/20 with a couple other buddies and head out on I-80 to Reno, then down through Tahoe and Yosemite, over to S.F. by late Monday then up the coast all the way to Seattle by that Friday. Dont really have a set schedule, just going to ride it and take about 8 days to see it all.
Some questions to those in the area.... We plan on camping out in hammocks most of the time, is it pretty easy to find places to do that off the coast with out getting harassed? What are some "must see" places that I'd miss if I didn't know where it was? And any general tips for riding that area? I picked up a lot of roadtrip advice from wideglidefever's thread but, I want to hear about more stuff from some of you local guys, and anyone else who's done it.
Thanks!! Also, I'll update this thread with pics as we go along, and if any of you want to meet up and cruise the road for a bit, let me know!

Old 07-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Helen Wheels
Extreme HDF Member
Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I live on the 140 hwy side of Yosemite ..I highly recommend going to town before Yosemite to camp. Yosemite is a tourist trap and everything is expensive not to mention crowded campgrounds. ive lived here for 40+ years and for camping take 140 west from Yosemite and go past elportal till you see a sign that say briceburg river turn right there(you'll see it..cant miss it if you get to midpines u went to far) the campgrounds there are great ..cheap and the beach and river are beautiful..although its getting towards the time when river starts going down.you cant leave the area without heading another 15 miles west on 140 and at the 1st 4 way stop sign u come to turn right on hwy 49 north to ride a very popular road for bikers..after you go about 10-15 miles its very steep and curvy..feel free to pm if you have any questions ..

Old 07-13-2013, 05:22 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

That sounds fun.

Don't miss Muir Woods about an hour north of SF. Very cool redwood trees.

Try to 1 and 101 as much as you can. Awesome scenery for most of the Cali coast.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:02 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SLV
That sounds fun.

Don't miss Muir Woods about an hour north of SF. Very cool redwood trees.

Try to 1 and 101 as much as you can. Awesome scenery for most of the Cali coast.
Second that! PCH is an awesome cruise!

Old 07-13-2013, 10:04 PM
bigbush
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tillimuc cheese in Oregon.

The winchester house in Cali

Go skiing at mt hood

Old 07-15-2013, 01:51 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior

Oh, I'm glad you mentioned the Winchester house. That is a must see, I had completely forgotten about that. Thanks for the yosemite camping advice too. We do plan on riding the coast as much as possible. To anyone that has done that, how are the travelling speeds for that road? I heard some parts will take hours to do and you'll only have gone 40-50 miles? Is it all like that, or just certain windy areas?

Old 07-15-2013, 02:06 PM
jim425
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't think of anywhere that will take hours to go 40-50 miles unless you are stuck in traffic. That can be avoided with the right timing. Northern CA up through WA is mostly two lanes with the biggest problem slower drivers, but almost no towns. The OR Coast is much nicer for views compared to WA Coast.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:19 PM
macnab_sf
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On your way out of Reno you can head directly west, or consider heading south a bit before turning west. I've ridden the Sonora Pass (HWY 108) and spent the night in Twain Harte, that was great. Beautiful ride, very few cars. You can also go further South and visit Mono Lake, and then head west through Yosemite on the 120. (That was very slow riding do to packed roads and no-pass zones) If you have never been to Yosemite it's probably worth it.

My main point is that the 80 is a relatively boring way to go through the mountains. (It is quicker though, if you're in a hurry). Pick a skinnier, more squiggly line.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior

Haha ya, this is a trip of scenic riding, not rushing to destinations. We'll only be taking the 80 to get to Reno, its a long hot road from SLC so we just want to get there. But after that , highways through the south and out to the coast will be the plan. Not sure what to see in Oregon tho, other than just riding the coast up...

Old 07-31-2013, 01:54 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior

Well Highway 1 is super badass. Best twisties I've ever ridden. The corners were all kinds of angles and grades. The pegs were awesome to have, but its time for a new set.

Anyone who's never been to the redwoods, specifically the "Avenue of the Giants" it is a must see.

And then of course, the whole coast is pretty badass.
3200 miles and not a single issue. Just about due for tires now. I have the D502 SE tires (180) and they lasted about 5k. Not that great... I'll probably get close to 6k by the time I replace them.

Quick Reply: West Coast Trip