Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Hells Canyon

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 10:41 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Hells Canyon

I may do this ride as part of a trip this summer. Which way would be better, north to south or the other way around??

Old 07-09-2014, 09:22 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

I *think* it's heading North that is better. It's whatever direction will put you on the side of the road that is closest to the canyon.
What all are you trying to see?
The road up to the lookout is a little rough.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:22 AM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain

Just looking to explore new country. But for specific objectives the canyon if it's accessible.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:17 AM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I am leaving Portland tomorrow to do the circle route around the Wallowa Mtns. We are camping at Wallowa Lake and will be going from Joseph OR, to Halfway to Baker and back on Sat. This route is considered to be the Hells Canyon route. Looking at the map, you do not go down into the canyon but rather stay up on the western ridge. You can drive to Imnaha north or to Oxbow Res but this is south of the deep part of the canyon. I will report back what i find.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:42 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

I've been up in that area a few times myself and if a person wants to travel those roads for the first time, I would say this. Some of those roads up there are narrow and also have gravel along the edges of the road, which could be interesting if a person cuts the corners too sharp and gets pulled into that gravel. The road from Halfway to Joseph is narrow with a few hairpin corners and a couple of years ago when I was on that road, it also had several potholes to look out for. All in all, it's a great ride, just need to be watchful when riding.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:14 PM
RomeoMike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rode up the canyon from the Idaho side this April and the entire region is beautiful. IMO, when riding to Hell's Canyon you have the choice of seeing it from high or low. The Oregon Hell's Canyon scenic route will give you a great view of the canyon and the Devils but it doesn't go up the canyon. Pittsburgh Landing on the Idaho side had great views too. Hell's Canyon Rd that goes up the canyon is 44 miles up and back and had no gas.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:24 PM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

went thru there last summer...I love the wallows area the lake is spectacular so are the mtns.......

Old 07-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hells Canyon Rally is this weekend,,,,If you hurry, you might still make it..

http://www.hellscanyonrally.com/

Old 07-10-2014, 07:31 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain

Thanks for the info people . All useful. But still Enterprise to Halfway or vice versa??? Or does it even matter?

Old 07-10-2014, 09:08 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiskyjock
Thanks for the info people . All useful. But still Enterprise to Halfway or vice versa??? Or does it even matter?
When I went on my ride there, I started at Halfway, went to Joseph and back to Halfway on the same road, to me it really didn't matter, I was with a group.

Quick Reply: Hells Canyon