Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1967 flh clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:37 PM
gwolke
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1967 flh clutch problem

Hi I have a 1967 FLH pretty much original. The problem i am haveing is this: this spring when I took it out for the first time after about 15 minutes of riding the clutch would not disengage. Thought it was the mouse trap going out of adjustment. But had to drop the primary cover and adjust the clutch rod free play. Had to take up about a half inch of free play. ( seemed like a lot to me). after fixing in gas station parking lot.
I drove it home. The clutch was great for about five or six disengagments. by the time i got home the situation was the same ...no clutch disengagement. I am in need of advise of what could be the cause....I have the feeling this is something relatively simple....any help from old timers ( or anyone) who know these old bikes would be much appreciated. thanks

Old 03-29-2012, 10:11 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by gwolke
Hi I have a 1967 FLH pretty much original. The problem i am haveing is this: this spring when I took it out for the first time after about 15 minutes of riding the clutch would not disengage. Thought it was the mouse trap going out of adjustment. But had to drop the primary cover and adjust the clutch rod free play. Had to take up about a half inch of free play. ( seemed like a lot to me). after fixing in gas station parking lot.
I drove it home. The clutch was great for about five or six disengagments. by the time i got home the situation was the same ...no clutch disengagement. I am in need of advise of what could be the cause....I have the feeling this is something relatively simple....any help from old timers ( or anyone) who know these old bikes would be much appreciated. thanks
Guess first thing I would be thinking about is a stretched cable. Also take a close look at the ferrule at the grip of the cable. If it is ready to take a dump you should be able to see it. Good thing is that with a mouse trap you can still shift even if the cable goes south, Did it with my 65...

Old 03-30-2012, 10:29 AM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do what Panz said then if that doesn't fix it, the next step is to take your kicker cover off and check the throwout bearing.. Have a pan under it cuz IF any chunks fall out you want to make sure you got em all. That's to make sure any extra pieces didn't make their way into the tranny gear box. Hopefully this aint the case!
jim

Old 04-01-2012, 05:05 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

May be time to pop the cover , take it apart and clean everything . The old bikes do get grunged up after a while and a good inspection of all the hard parts can't hurt either , isn't like they don't have some time and grade in by now .

Old 04-03-2012, 09:56 PM
gwolke
5th Gear

Thanks for the advise. I was thinking the throw out bearing. I am waiting till I have the time to tear it down. I am wondering what went..the bearing wore through or something...just curiouse before i tear it down.. I have been riding pretty much trouble free for the past couple of years, then this...gotta love the old bikes always something to tinker with...lol...I do like the bits of knowledge that come across the blog...thanks once again...

Old 04-03-2012, 11:54 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck!
jim

Old 06-18-2012, 05:17 PM
gwolke
5th Gear

got it torn down Throw out bearing was egg shaped..but all the bearings still there.But now I have to figure out the kick start..have it al apart but can not figure out how it actually works..the actual mechanics of how works..without gears grinding and binding as everything seems to be engaged at all times..have service and parts manual.