Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Oil Stabilizer?

Old 05-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Stabilizer?

I just have a 1983 FLHT with a fresh top end. Total miles on the bike are 25,000 and maybe a hundred on a fresh top end. After doing the top end and adding an upgraded cam she fired up and the bike runs beautiful.......but.......for whatever reason I cannot explain there is a ticking noise coming from the front exhaust tappet assembly from where I can tell that is apparent upon startup, warmup, initial 5-10 miles and then dissapates to nothing. It does not effect the ride of the bike whatsoever, it runs like a new bike, well, for a shovelhead I suppose. Anyhow, I am told by an older Harley tech that the front exhaust lifter assembly on some shovels were a "nightmare-problem" for some years.....pertaining to the excessive noise issue.
I debated using Lucas oil stabilizer based on threads on the forums here, but as I continued to read up on these additives I believe them to maybe lean more toward the snake oil side......I'm not trying to claim I know one way or another, that's why I wanted to re-present the question, I guess being - should I use this type product to quiet the initial engine startup noise (which I'm told is not doing any internal harm it was just a quirky trait?), or should I possibly use 3 quarts my normal 60 WT and one qt 70 WT to thicken the whole lot and quiet it down a bit?......or just leave her alone and ride it?
Any advice is appreciated.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:19 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

probably a weak lifter -- the stock lifters were ticky till you found the adjustment the like-- buy 1 new one and install it -- dry lifter -- find the heal or bottom of the lobe run the push rod all the way down till it starts to open the valve-- back off till it has drag but turns-- back off 1 full turn -- also on older bikes the tappet body and or the lifter block its self can wear out and the tappet is sloppy in the bore... this usually makes noise when hot..

i have been running harley's since 1964 never heard of this nighmare problem of just the front exhaust -- some causes of lifter noise with hyd can be the guide being worn -- yes the front exhaust push rod requires the push rod to be adjusted out farther but the rear is longer also just not as long... i use as an additive MILITEC 1 google that and read about it.. you can find it on ebay... i also use ONLY and i mean ONLY ULTIMA 60 or 70 wt oil

Old 05-06-2012, 05:26 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master

MILITEC is NO snake oil-- i work for textron and we build the M1117 ASV the government WOULDNT put this in a million $$$$$$ unit if it didnt work.. its NOT a STP,LUCAS motor honey--- google it.. make sure your lifter tappet screen is clean also... thick oil has to be pumped into the lifter cold its thick if it ticks for a min or 2 and then stops it could be just a sticky lifter.. me?? i would change that 1 lifter to be sure...

Old 05-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain

Much obliged, biginchhustler. I think Militec sounds like a great option. Again, I came here because there's fellas that know a hell of a lot more than me.
My one question is this.....I am running 60 WT ( even against Harley's recommendation of 20-50 on the later shovels), but I am not using synthetic. I see that Militec is a "synthetic oil additive"......its ok to add this product to straight non-synthetic oil?
I suspected it may be a weak lifter of the bore may have widened, etc over the years of use prior to me. In fact when I pulled her apart to do the top end I can remember finding dried silicone, like Seal All, dried around the lifter base as if it was spread around the lifter base and then pushed down into the tappet bore......hmmm, maybe the guy before me had the same "ticking" problem and that was his "fix"........now even having limited mechanical knowledge using silicone glopped near an oil weep hole is just plain stupid.
Anyhow your input is well appreciated, let me know your thoughts on adding the Militec to my non-synthetic oil.
Regards

Old 05-06-2012, 08:37 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,555 Likes on 5,152 Posts

If you need any oil stabilizer, your using the wrong oil. Stuff is a worthless sham.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain

Smitty901 I did some research on the Militec and it truly is military, high-grade product. Now I know we all have our reasons for opinion, some folks swear by additives others say its all in your head. I'm thinking that it's not that an additive is a "cover-up" but more so an in-addition-to".......by that I mean even the best of the best of the best oils will sink and settle after use, why not use an additive that will be a bit more molecularly different and actually retain itself against all metal surfaces so there is less friction at startup, yadda yadda yadda.
I guess the argument can go on forever.......lol, what did I go and start?

Old 05-06-2012, 09:04 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master

ignore that clown-- every fourm has 1 or more---

LOL i have been using MILITEC for 8 years now-- i use it in my SUV engines,tranny,radiator,power steering,everything but the brakes-- they even have militec grease--- a sham lol thats a good one but i dont respond to IGNORANT FOOLS -- anyways read up on the militec before you use it... do NOT use 20/50 in a shovel-- i use ULTIMA oil in mine im in the deep south so this time a year i use 70wt heres a email to the ultima oil its like $108 a case of 12 and you can get 6 of each wt (6 -- 70wt and 6 60wts) the military and the police use the militec in all their weapons... its not like the old autozone

Old 05-06-2012, 09:05 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master

you can order ultima from:

David Burrill

SHOP-919-556-4681
CELL-919-671-5571
dburrill1@earthlink.net

Old 05-06-2012, 09:09 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master

i have a 79 FXE it also has a outside spin on filter--- i have a hard hitting fast ramp cam--- i use the ultima and the militec-- when i change the oil i NEVER,EVER see any metal or powder on the magnet-- but remember the wise old--- err old-- says its a sham-- lol even the police and the military (if you read about it) use it on their weapons ---- ya think textron would put it in a million $$$$$$$ ASV and take the chance of destroying it if it didnt work?? this aint no autozone teflon additive--

Old 05-06-2012, 09:15 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master

WHAT IS MILITEC-1?
MILITEC-1 is a clear golden synthetic liquid resembling an SAE 10-weight oil. When MILITEC-1 is added to the primary lubricant of any machine, it will increase operating efficiency, extend equipment life, reduce downtime and cut unscheduled maintenance.
Even though MILITEC-1 is added to the oil, itis not an oil additive. MILITEC-1 contains no viscosity enhancers or other oil augmentation compounds. It does not modify the primary lubricant in any way.
Instead, MILITEC-1 is a metal conditioner. MILITEC-1 simply uses the circulating oil as a means to reach the critical hot spots and metallic friction surfaces within the machinery. When the oil carries MILITEC-1 to these areas, MILITEC-1 exits the oil, leaving the oil completely unaffected and unchanged.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Stabilizer?