Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Hot Start Problem

I Take back what I said in an earlier thread about the hot start starter grinding problem being a pre-ignition issue. Over the past few weeks my bike has gotten much worse than before and today it was really bad. Starts fine when cold, but when hot it will start to crank and then grinds like a big dog (now). It's got to be the starter "hot start problem". Looked At the manual and it looks like a PITA to do it myself, so I guess its dealer time.

What do you think I'm looking at as far as cost to replace the starter? Are there any other options open to me.

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 09-22-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:07 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

I might add that the starter motor and solenoid are fine. Is there a way just to change the bendix, spring and jack shaft From the primary side without removing the physical starter? I can't get that answer from the manual.

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 09-22-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:11 PM
spydyr
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think mine was $250 at the dealer. If it was the same as mine, its just the starter clutch and not the starter itself. Mine hasn't done it in the 5 months since being replaced.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:42 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

I think the bendix gear and spring combination are considered the starter clutch and thats why i asked if it can be replaced from the primary side. I called the dealer, two actually, and they don't repair starters. They just replace the whole thing. Cost=$381 for the starter alone, plus gaskets, seals and labor. They have to remove the oil tank, exhaust and several other things to replace the starter so I'd be looking at around $800 for the replacement. I can get a kit that has the starter gear, spring and jack shaft for $125, plus the cost of the primary gasket. That, I'd do myself if I can do it from the primary side.

In the end though, I'm not sure the kit will fix the problem...

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 09-22-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:24 PM
spydyr
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That kit sounds like what they did to mine. From what I understand, you don't have to get into the primary, because the starter gets removed from bolts on the right. Getting into the primary won't help. How to get the clutch off from the start? IDK, but pretty sure you have to take the starter off, which according to the manual requires removing the oil bag so you can wiggle it out.

I've replaced my belt before, which requires the entire primary removal, but I was able to get the two starter bolts out & back in using a combination of u-joints & extensions. Getting it fully out is another story, though. Never done that one. When I had mine done, it was done at the dealer, and I assumed it was under warranty. If my warranty was still good, it would have been, but apparently I got stooped into getting an extended warranty that started the same day as the standard warranty. Otherwise, I would have done it myself, as all the other maint on my bike.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:38 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,492 Likes on 4,610 Posts

What year is the bike?

Old 09-22-2014, 07:45 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
What year is the bike?
My bike is a 2007.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:51 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Originally Posted by spydyr
That kit sounds like what they did to mine. From what I understand, you don't have to get into the primary, because the starter gets removed from bolts on the right. Getting into the primary won't help. How to get the clutch off from the start? IDK, but pretty sure you have to take the starter off, which according to the manual requires removing the oil bag so you can wiggle it out.

I've replaced my belt before, which requires the entire primary removal, but I was able to get the two starter bolts out & back in using a combination of u-joints & extensions. Getting it fully out is another story, though. Never done that one. When I had mine done, it was done at the dealer, and I assumed it was under warranty. If my warranty was still good, it would have been, but apparently I got stooped into getting an extended warranty that started the same day as the standard warranty. Otherwise, I would have done it myself, as all the other maint on my bike.
They said that the primary cover had to be removed also. If I understood them right, they have to remove the starter gear first to get the starter out. Not having done this, I can't debate the subject with them. That's also why I was asking if the kit could be installed from the primary side without removing the starter.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:53 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Originally Posted by spydyr

Can edit my last post so...

I don't know how they did yours for $250 if they pulled the oil tank too.

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 09-22-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:19 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,492 Likes on 4,610 Posts

The `07 starter is different than the earlier model starters.

There is no need to get into the primary.

Disconnect the battery, remove the oil tank, remove the starter mount bolts and electrical connections and pop it out.

To make the oil tank removal easier, remove the inner fender, once that is done you can get to the tank mounts and oil hose connections pretty easy.

Don`t replace the starter, just replace the starter clutch. If you don`t want to tear into the starter, just take it to a starter repair shop, these type starters are used on a zillion automobiles. They will be very familiar with them.

Quick Reply: Hot Start Problem