Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you check if a frame is Bent?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 01:27 PM
raconteur
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you check if a frame is Bent?

I have a 2001 FLSTF. The bike was in the shop for an extended time getting repaired. During a recent long ride, 3 weeks after getting the bike back, I felt that the bike was running too well (experienced riders will know what I mean). Furthermore, the clutch was very hard and despite all my adjusting etc, I could not get t right. It was not like this when it went into the shop. So I decided to pull the clutch and check plates, these seemed OK, but got new ones anyway. While I was down there I thought, ”well let’s check out the tranny”. Turns out the shifter pawl was a little on the worn side. In any event I pulled the tranny, and decided to get new internals from Baker. To my surprise I saw that the front belt drive pulley had made some rather deep scour marks on the inner primary cover. With a little more investigation I discovered that the rear tranny mount bracket was bent! Iit seems that something may have happened to the bike while it was in the shop that has been COVERED up. I suspect that the frame may also be bent. I have tried to figure out how to check this. Anybody got any ideas?

Cheers

Barry

Old 04-21-2007, 02:10 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
Default RE: How do you check if a frame is Bent?

Make sure the rear wheel is aligned properly.
You could then try taking it for a ride, get up to speed and slowly loosen
your grip on the bars. If the frame is bent there's a good chance there will be some wobble or pulling to one side.
Not a sure fire way to check but might be an indicator.
You could also inspect the frame for cracks in the paint.
Also, if the frame is bent I would expect there would be some fork damage
as well.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:33 PM
raconteur
Stage IV

bike is in a state of semi assembly, only front wheel on at the moment. most methods i have seemassume that the bike is assembled, i would like to check before i reassemble!

Old 04-22-2007, 02:58 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Having the thing apart should make checking the frame easier. The bad news is that you'll need a drawing of the frame and it's datum points. Using thethe datum points asreference,measure from the datums to other points on the frame per the drawing in ordertoverify they're within tolerance. My guess is that H-D will consider those drawings proprietary, and won't let them out.

I'd call the stealership and see what they can do for you. If they won't release the drawings, they may let you look at them and write down some key dimensions. There may also be an independent shop that will have the information you need, or even make the checks for you.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:46 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd call the CSI team....sounds like a conspiracy to me.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:51 PM
BuckeyeHD
Tourer

Hmmm, I consider myself an experienced rider but I have no idea what "running too well" means. You didn't mention if the bike was wrecked or if you have had it since new or what the repairs you had it in the shop for were. I would think that if the frame was good when it went in to the shop, it would be good when it came out. If not, you would see signs of repairs that you didn't sanction/pay for. AFAIK you can't bend the frame on a Harley without doing significant damage elsewhere.