Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout Performance Mods Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 12:49 PM
AAAC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Breakout Performance Mods Thread

I'd like to start a new thread for folks to specifically post about Performance Mods they've done to their Breakout Bikes. I'm specifically looking at HANDLING Mods but it would be cool to hear about folks engine mods as well.

What I'm not looking for is cosmetic stuff and customization. I'm hoping to keep the thread dedicated to performance mods that make the bike more user friendly (as in better handling and engine performance). There are so many different threads out there with a TON of info to wade through but I haven't seen any that are specifically designated for PERFORMANCE mods.

I want to buy a Breakout...but I'm trying to learn what all I'm going to have to do to the bike to get it to handle the way I'd like it to. Thanks!!!

I hope this new thread will take a life of it's own and you folks will start posting your info and pics on your performance mods so that the rest of us can have a better understanding of your real world experience with this bike!

Old 05-08-2016, 12:05 AM
all cumulus
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suggest a good fork brace (Drag Specialties) and Ricor Intimidator front shock dampeners with 20W oil.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:15 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by AAAC
I'd like to start a new thread for folks to specifically post about Performance Mods they've done to their Breakout Bikes. I'm specifically looking at HANDLING Mods but it would be cool to hear about folks engine mods as well.

What I'm not looking for is cosmetic stuff and customization. I'm hoping to keep the thread dedicated to performance mods that make the bike more user friendly (as in better handling and engine performance). There are so many different threads out there with a TON of info to wade through but I haven't seen any that are specifically designated for PERFORMANCE mods.

I want to buy a Breakout...but I'm trying to learn what all I'm going to have to do to the bike to get it to handle the way I'd like it to. Thanks!!!

I hope this new thread will take a life of it's own and you folks will start posting your info and pics on your performance mods so that the rest of us can have a better understanding of your real world experience with this bike!
There are several threads on performance upgrades for the Breakout. Each dedicated to a specific topic like drive ratio, suspension, cams, 120R etc.....plus there's the one and only "Everything Breakout" thread!

Old 05-08-2016, 12:34 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Another Breakout thread!!!! I can't keep up!!!!

Old 05-08-2016, 07:09 AM
EricRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 629 Posts

Finished up Saturday, Fuel Moto 107 Bore Kit (Woods TW-777 cams), Performance Air Kit (using stock cover) Vance & Hines Short Shots. Added there tune with the Power Vision Tuner. Started right up. Did a couple of heat cycles, then took her out for about 50 miles. What an improvement over stock, throttle was very responsive, and I can tell there is a big power increase but I am trying todo the break in thing. The sound was also amazing, used the quiet baffles, but it still is loud, but for me just right, like a Harley!!!!! Probably put 500 miles before I Dyno, We will see. Here's a pic after my 50 mile trip, sorry for the quality.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:50 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

nice. i'm still breaking in my BO with cobra speedster short swept exhaust and FP3 tuner. now considering suspension upgrades. Just yesterday I noticed the front wheel seems to wobble over bumps at 80mph. Twice it felt strange and not cool. have you guys noticed this? is it normal? guess I'm used to the handling of sport bikes and other high performance cruisers. It never happened on these other bikes. so, if it is normal for this bike, then what components should I look into to address this?

Old 05-08-2016, 05:50 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

AAAC- the best / tested handling upgrades for the BO are better tires and revising your fork springs / dampers. there is a dedicated sticky at top of this forum for the forks with part numbers, how-to steps, etc. For tires, pirelli night dragons, metz or higher line dunlops.

A fork brace is not needed.

Drodrigueznyc- please look at the top of this softail section for the well put together DIY on front suspension. it applies to all 2007-up softail / dyna bikes. should be of good help.

Originally Posted by all cumulus
Suggest a good fork brace (Drag Specialties) and Ricor Intimidator front shock dampeners with 20W oil.
Ricor's don't work with 20w fork oil. it's either going to be 5w for the Breakout or 10w for other model bikes.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-08-2016 at 06:40 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 05-08-2016, 07:11 PM
Duke 13
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocker B
Another Breakout thread!!!! I can't keep up!!!!
I'm right there with ya'! If I recall there's a thread with links to many of the performance, comfort, and handling mods.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:13 PM
the_enforcer
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with what others have said. There is plenty of info on here about performance upgrades for the breakout. Just gotta snoop around a little bit. Dog has an awesome sticky about front suspension upgrades with part numbers and info needed. Then there's also the drive pulley upgrade with part numbers and info needed. As far as engine performance. It's a 103 power plant that is shared in many many models of harley. Nothing about the breakout engine is any different from any other balanced 103 harley engine. Except for in 2016 they got the 50mm TBW throttle body and bigger injectors. Best suggestion is get in contact with a trusted builder that has experience and knowledge on building them up CORRECTLY so parts going on/in play good together. For the money, it's hard to beat a well built and DYNO tuned 107" big bore kit. Any questions then feel free to ask them. Plenty of helpful guys willing to chime in buddy. But I think after you dig around a bit you'll have a lot of your questions answered.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:55 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

^^ Yup that's pretty much it. Side note, 2016 has a bit different set of performance (mild) cams. e.g. the "H.O" motor and all.

There's pretty much four common stages of upgrading performance pow-pow:

1. stage 1, run of mill upgraded air cleaner, better flowing pipes and better tune using an aftermarket tuner device. bike runs cooler, sounds better and if the tune is good will be a bit more responsive. bike will still feel a bit pokey off the line, a bit underpowered in 4th/5th on the freeway, and don't plan on trying to pass any cars in 6th ;p

2. stage1.5, upgrade the damn too tall stock belt pulleys to 30/68 or 30/70. "STFU" on this one, it makes a massive difference on acceleration in all gears. 6th is no longer useless below 90mph. Most riders can stop here and be pretty damn happy with the bike. all things considered you get a lot back for the smaller amount of money spent at this point.

3. stage2, upgrade the cams for better low end / mid torque and better HP up top, something like Andrews 37h/57h, SE204, S&S MR103, Kury24D (and similar grinds for stock compression motors). combine this with good tune and 30/68 or 30/70, I'd say almost everyone will call it a day here and have miles of smiles.

4. stage 3/4, go bigger on the jugs to 107, headwork, larger cams, larger throttlebody / injectors, etc. - For those who dare and have the need 4 speed. this takes the most planning and tuning efforts to get right, but when done correctly will be the most rewarding as far as all out power and money spent. Even more benefit realized when combined with the 30/68 or 30/70 pulley upgrade.

this is overly summarized but hits the high points..

Last edited by LA_Dog; 05-08-2016 at 10:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Breakout Performance Mods Thread