Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Cable Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 02:22 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Battery Cable Upgrade

I've always thought my bike cranked a little slow, even with a hot battery and new starter. I was thinking it might help if I put heavier battery cables on it. Can anyone recommend a heavier direct replacement?

Edit: Also, I believe the stock cables are 4 gage. I was looking at some Sumax 2 gage and was wondering if the can be installed without any modifications. They say they are "fat". Anyone know.

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 09-28-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:15 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

Yes. They can. Terry components make direct fit better cables. If you have an interstate battery store near you they will custom make you cables of better grade pretty cheap too

Old 09-28-2015, 04:22 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

AWG...the correct gauge is all you need to know. Most important other than that is keeping the everything clean from oxidation.
Edit: AWG and ampacity

Last edited by Tampa Fatboy; 09-28-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:30 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

I'm looking at the 22007. Looks like the right thing to do, but I'm concerned about fit problems due to the overall wire diameter. One thing I really like is it's got the top mount cable lug. The straight lugs on my 07 heritage are a pita since they mount in the front of the battery and there's no room because of the wiring harness.

http://www.sumax.com/battery_cables.html

I'm open to other suggestions if anyone know of something better..

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 09-28-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:37 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas
I'm looking at the 22007. Looks like the right thing to do, but I'm concerned about fit problems due to the overall wire diameter. One thing I really like is it's got the top mount cable lug. The straight lugs on my 07 heritage are a pita since they mount in the front of the battery and there's no room because of the wiring harness.

http://www.sumax.com/battery_cables.html
Any decent scooter mech will have the tools to set it up correctly, or revise it according to what you want. The correct wire gauge(too large is overkill & smaller is trouble) and a set of ratchet crimpers, if you know an electrician that's best. Clean the battery posts and end connections, apply a lil anti-corrosion grease both ends.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:35 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

I take it back. I just pulled the seat on the bike and the battery cables are marked 6 gage. So, if I go with 4 gage that's probably enough of an upgrade. What say you?

Old 09-28-2015, 07:39 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

What does the manual say it recommended battery in amps? More battery is better, too much is overkill, gauge your wiring according to the stats. *ie, I needed a cable that had a load of max at any given time of 115 I would consider that borderline and go to the next size.
http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Old 09-28-2015, 07:50 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

I'm not sure what the specs are on the battery or the full load draw of the starter. Haven't been able to find anything on either. But, based on the link you provided 6 gage max amp transmission is 37 amps which is way low for battery cables. The problem is the table is for solid strand wire, not multistrand. Theres a big difference in behavior and load capacity.

Edit: I think I'm going to go with these Terry Component cables. They are 4 gage which is quite a bit larger than the OEM. If these don't do the job, I'll go with the Sumax 2 gage. I'll let you know how it works out..

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/350-099

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 09-28-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:10 PM
smokyheritage
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed the Sumax 2 guage cables, a new chrome 1.8kw high torque starter from DB Electrical and a new 310cca agm Duralast Autozone battery all at the same time on my 03 Heritage.

It has did really well ever since. The Sumax cables are really nice and did fit well without a hitch. $50 and the shipping is a pretty good buck to pay for battery cables but it is nice to be able to bolt them on without any problems and know that your battery connections are nice and fresh, not corroded and won't heat up at start up from being to small.

You might save some money elsewhere but, these are heavy duty cables that are made to fit and they do just that. I don't have any regrets.

Last edited by smokyheritage; 09-28-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:04 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Originally Posted by smokyheritage
I installed the Sumax 2 guage cables, a new chrome 1.8kw high torque starter from DB Electrical and a new 310cca agm Duralast Autozone battery all at the same time on my 03 Heritage.

It has did really well ever since. The Sumax cables are really nice and did fit well without a hitch. $50 and the shipping is a pretty good buck to pay for battery cables but it is nice to be able to bolt them on without any problems and know that your battery connections are nice and fresh, not corroded and won't heat up at start up from being to small.

You might save some money elsewhere but, these are heavy duty cables that are made to fit and they do just that. I don't have any regrets.
That's good to hear. I'm flip flopping between the Sumax and Terry Component. What diameter are the Sumax? There sure isn't much room in there and my worry is there would be problems. I take you at your word, but would like to know how big the are..

Quick Reply: Battery Cable Upgrade