Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Cable Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 06:10 PM
user 46092
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The Sumax kit comes with 2 black cables, one slightly longer than the other, but I'm a little perplexed. Why is the negative to ground cable so much longer than stock? Is the longer black cable supposed to serve as a positive cable? There should be a right angle on one of the ends of the positive cable, if the longer black cable is supposed to serve as the positive able- and if so why isn't it also red?
Was I shipped the wrong product? I ordered part#22007.
(I keep forgetting to call Sumax)

Old 03-31-2016, 09:00 PM
flipbel
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just returned Terry Components cables because of the same reason (did not have the 90* bent on the pos. cable. It was advertised as it haveing the bent but it did not. I ended up making my own.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:29 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas
Yes, I do get the random kick back. Its more of a lug on a compression stroke though, and thats usually when it it loses it mind and belches through the carb and occasionally cause the starter to grind. I have looked into the procedure and I don't like the glue and splash guard either.

The thing is, except for the normal whurr of the chain, my primary is quite. No knocking, clunking or the like..
I thought I'd bump this thread for an update. I'm still loving the big Sumax cables and the bike cranks like a big dog! Having said that, one of the original reasons for going to the bigger cables was to overcome the starting problem above. Well, I finally found and fixed the problem source of the bike losing its mind on hot starts. It turned out to be erratic/low fuel pressure caused by a slowly failing fuel pressure regulator housing. Something to remember if you bike starts acting up on hot starts, and fuel pressure is an easy and quick thing to check. I didn't find it until it failed completely while on a ride. Anyway, no more hot start problems and I have the big dog battery cables to boot..

Link to the fuel regulator fix thread..

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...uel-lines.html

Link to the hot start problem thread..

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...t-problem.html

This closes the loop on three threads..

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 07-29-2017 at 01:11 PM.