Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unidentifyable Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 01:51 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Unidentifiable Start Problem

Ok, I'm at my wits end with a start problem on my 07 heritage. The bike has always started on the first crank with no throttle. In the last few months that has changed. It starts fine when cold, but if I ride it about 5 miles, shut it off for gas for instance and try to restart it, about half the time it belches through the carborator on a misfire and seems to make a revolution or two backwards like its lost its mind. It will do it after riding for a while too after a quick stop. It threw a code on the crank position sensor, so I replaced that, but the problem remains. Contributing to it was a weak battery which I also replaced. With the new battery it has the power to crank through the problem about half the time, but it is still occurring. Anyone have a clue what might be the problem or what to look for?

When I describe the problem to the dealership I get that deer in he headlight look.

I've also searched the board, but haven't found anything on the particular subject..

Edit: Other than the CPS code I mentioned, it's not throwing any other codes and it does have a new starter.

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 09-27-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:20 PM
RobbAR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be the compensator....My 08 Fatboy would do the same thing...If it was hot sometimes it would act like it was a low battery and then make a hard knocking sound and kick back...and cough through the throttle body...replaced the compensator and the for the most part fixed the problem...every once in a while it will clunk and spit through the throttle body but not near as often...I replaced the stock compensator with a Screaming Eagle one and shortly after they revised the part number and have an improved version....

Old 09-27-2015, 03:06 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

Same identical problem with my 07 Street Glide. I've read on here that it could be the compensator or starter clutch. I'm taking it in next week to my Indie mech and see if this is the problem.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:24 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Originally Posted by E8USMCRET
Same identical problem with my 07 Street Glide. I've read on here that it could be the compensator or starter clutch. I'm taking it in next week to my Indie mech and see if this is the problem.
Well, check back in when you find something out. I already went through the starter clutch headache. Had the starter replaced,,,,not cheap..

Old 09-27-2015, 05:04 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Why not the stator, since it is part of the charging unit and it sounds lke its not working

Old 09-27-2015, 05:42 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Charging system/stator is putting out 14.2 volts and the battery is new and fully charged, so no joy. Thanks though..

Edit: It's almost like a timing issue, but haven't a clue what it might be.

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 09-27-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:50 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

You may be rught on the timig. Could be fouling up your plugs.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:42 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Since it already has a new starter and new battery, I guess the next thing I'd do is check to make sure all the cable connections (including the ground cable) are tight and clean, so the starter will be getting full voltage. Sometimes, the conductor-to-terminal connection inside the cables can start to go bad too.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:32 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Well, I took it to the dealer today and had them put it in the diagnostic machine. Of course they could find nothing wrong. On top of that the damn bike wouldn't reproduce the problem no matter how many times we started it. It would fire up on the first crank every time. I had however just ridden it 45 miles at 75-80. Just before I got home I gassed up and again no problem.

This isn't a fix, but I've always thought it cranked a little slow, even with a hot battery and new starter. I was thinking it might help if I put heavier battery cables on it. Can anyone recommend a heavier direct replacement?

Edit: I started a separate thread on the battery cable upgrade, but I'll be checking both threads for an answer..

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 09-28-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:57 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas
Well, I took it to the dealer today and had them put it in the diagnostic machine. Of course they could find nothing wrong. On top of that the damn bike wouldn't reproduce the problem no matter how many times we started it. It would fire up on the first crank every time. I had however just ridden it 45 miles at 75-80. Just before I got home I gassed up and again no problem.

This isn't a fix, but I've always thought it cranked a little slow, even with a hot battery and new starter. I was thinking it might help if I put heavier battery cables on it. Can anyone recommend a heavier direct replacement?

Edit: I started a separate thread on the battery cable upgrade, but I'll be checking both threads for an answer..
Is this bike stock? It's hard to give you any useable information without being there and the next best thing is more information >first

Quick Reply: Unidentifyable Start Problem