Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unidentifyable Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 12:01 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when the temps drop. It's still close to 90 here..

Old 09-30-2015, 12:07 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas
In the last few months that has changed. It starts fine when cold, but if I ride it about 5 miles, shut it off for gas for instance and try to restart it, about half the time it belches through the carborator on a misfire and seems to make a revolution or two backwards like its lost its mind. It will do it after riding for a while too after a quick stop.
Run a quick Intake Leak Test so that could be ruled out. Intake seals act whacky between hot and cold if they are leaking.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:56 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Yeah, good point and that hadn't come to mind. I'll have to find me some fogging oil somewhere..

Old 09-30-2015, 07:08 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas
Yeah, good point and that hadn't come to mind. I'll have to find me some fogging oil somewhere..
You get a mister and spray water around the heads. You don't need fogging oil. If there is an intake leak of any consequence, the idle will come up with the water spray.

You test fuel pressure with a special configuration that you won't want to buy for no more times than you will use it. Go to an indy shop and give 'em 25 bucks... takes 10 minutes.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:13 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Thanks. I wish this website had a thanks button like other places.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:17 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Originally Posted by splattttttt
Pitbull, youre in Tejas where its hot, but if by chance the temps happen to dip below 60^ and the issue isnt present; cances are that some fuel management system may help
Well, got the new Sumax battery cables installed and it cranks a lot stronger. Rode about 200 today with a lot of stops and no problems. I also did a number of engine brakes to take any slack out of the primary chain, if any. Though maybe a slack chain might be contributing; who knows. The bad news is it cooled down today, so that messes up the experiment a little. The issue is when things are hot. I'll keep riding and report back if anything changes.

I still need to check for intake manifold leaks and get the fuel pressure checked.

Link to battery cable thread..

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...upgrade-3.html

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 10-02-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:45 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the new battery makes it run without any issues then there is no need to test anything else.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:15 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
If the new battery makes it run without any issues then there is no need to test anything else.
That's battery cables, but I hope you're right. It turned cool yesterday and today so it's not running as hot. The issues I've been having is when the engine is plenty hot. But, there are still a few 80 plus days left, so I'll still get the chance to verify if it's fixed when really hot. Just want to verify before declaring sucess..

Old 10-02-2015, 07:09 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Keepin my fingers crossed PB

Old 10-03-2015, 02:13 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Originally Posted by splattttttt
Pitbull, youre in Tejas where its hot, but if by chance the temps happen to dip below 60^ and the issue isnt present; cances are that some fuel management system may help
When you say fuel management, what on the bike should I be thinking about? Fuel pump is strong, but should I look at cleaning the IAC or what? Just curious. Still going to look for manifold leaks and such..

Quick Reply: Unidentifyable Start Problem