Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unidentifyable Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 03:58 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
The "heat thing"... Isn't the bike equipped with with some fail safe system that interrupts starting it if it senses an over heating problem?
Could be that what ever electronic sensor that allows for this function is goin. Shot in the dark.
Remember, I is no tech! Just like to over think ****
Don't know, never heard of that one. I've been told it has a low/no oil shut down, but not sure if that's true.

I have no way of testing this theory, but the way it acts it would lead one to think its a random timing issue...maybe. The new battery cables dont allow the engine to over power the starter now. Given that, sometimes when it's trying to have its tantrum, it will stop cold on a compression stroke, like the timing is way too advanced. With the stock battery cables that's when the engine likely would over power the starter, belch through the carb and make a couple of revolutions backwards. When a engine belches through the carb, that's ignition when the intake valve is open. One additional symptom is, sometimes after the tantrum, it will crank and crank, and not fire. When it does that, I turn off the ignition, turn it back on and it fires right up??

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 10-10-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:10 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

timing issues would or should throw a code. Not sure of this, but I expect it should.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:20 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Originally Posted by splattttttt
timing issues would or should throw a code. Not sure of this, but I expect it should.
I'd kinda expect the same thing. The ECM is nothing more than a computer and there is a possibility that the code may have gotten corrupted some how (grasping at straws here). I've been kind of wondering if it might help if I got the dealer to remap the ECM. However mappings are data settings, not the actual software that use the settings, so that's probably just a waist of money.

Edit: I guess things could be worse. I was stopped at a station this morning for a break and a guy on a Fatboy pulled in with a rod knocking like a big dog. He was just running down the road and it let go on him. Only 5k miles on the motor..

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 10-10-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:34 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts
Old 10-11-2015, 01:20 PM
ZROADSTER
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was a rebuild ,that's why I don't trust em ! If it was a stocker I'd be getting ready for a law suit !
When the coils start to go bad hot start problems are to be expected .

Old 10-11-2015, 02:12 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Originally Posted by ZROADSTER
If it was a rebuild ,that's why I don't trust em ! If it was a stocker I'd be getting ready for a law suit !
When the coils start to go bad hot start problems are to be expected .
What are you referring to? If you're talking about the guy on the Fatboy, he said he had his motor custom built by an independent.

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 10-11-2015 at 02:19 PM.