Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In Tank Vuel Lines

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 11:17 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default In Tank Fuel Lines

How much trouble is it to replace the two fuel lines in the gas tank?

I've got an 07 Heritage and this morning when I flipped the ignition on the fuel pump made a faint swishing sound (first time ever). Went out riding with a little over 3/4 of a tank of gas and the bike was running ok. On the way back home, about 20 miles away from the house and a little less than a 1/2 tank of gas, I noticed a bunch of decibel popping on deceleration, engine hesitation during shifting and bogging when trying to accelerate hard. It runs ok as long as I don't open the throttle a lot, so I'm thinking fuel starvation. I checked it out when I got home and the pump makes the swishing sound everytime I turn on the ignition and it more noticeable than when I left the house. It's very noticeable with the gas cap off. If I leave the ignition on after it pressures up, the pump does not cycle, so the pressure side hose is probably ok. I'm thinking I have a hole in the suction hose side.

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 07-16-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:14 PM
lonesum
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 325 Likes on 217 Posts

My 09 x-bones sprung a leak at the quick connect fitting on rear of tank. Was not hard to open tank and change out da plumbing. Took about 1/2 hour. Used a Drag replacement @ $39.00

Last edited by lonesum; 07-16-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:26 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

How did you deal with the hose crimps? Just use a hose clamp?

Old 07-16-2017, 12:44 PM
lonesum
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 325 Likes on 217 Posts

I don't know if a 09 is any different but I talked with a friend who's son was a tech in Southhaven, Ms. Told me it was simple no special tools but you have to go by feel with your hand inside the tank. If a 63 year old gray beard can do it you auta be able to handle it

Old 07-16-2017, 03:20 PM
Kingsfan
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced the quick connect on my Heritage. I removed the fuel assembly from the tank by first removing the hose clamp that connects the quick connect to the fuel assembly.
Removed the assembly from the tank, installed the new quick connect, replaced the fuel lines, installed the fuel assembly back in the tank and lastly connecting the quick connect hose to the assembly.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:37 PM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 338 Likes on 218 Posts

Probably a good time to also change the in-tank fuel filter.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:18 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Originally Posted by S.D.M.F
Probably a good time to also change the in-tank fuel filter.
I was considering it. I sure wish I could see some bubbles or disturbance in the gas when I kick it on. I'm not seeing a thing. Of course its got less than 1/2 tank of gas in it. I mentioned the problem may be on the suction side, but there are no hoses on the suction, just the pump and pickup. All hoses are pressurized. That swishing sound sure sounds like it's got a good size hole in a hose, but I'm having a few doubts about the actual cause and wondering if it might actually be the fuel pump itself.

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 07-16-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:04 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

I have done this job a few times. The first time I did it I felt blind trying to work the hinged arm but it is not that bad. The fuel level sensor is on its own on the right side of the tank so you just have to unplug the wire harness and remove the pins. The fuel pressure regulator hat is plastic and has had a history of breaking the ears causing a fuel leak. Once you start the job I would replace all fuel hoses, fuel pump sock, fuel pressure regulator hat, and fuel filter. I used gates submersible fuel hose on mine with fuel line clamps which have a rolled edge so it does not cut the fuel hose

Here you can see the hinge strait to remove assembly from tank

Here the hinge is in the position in the tank

Closer look at the hinge

The following 2 users liked this post by stal94gt:
Johnny Goodlife (07-22-2017), Pitbull_Dallas (07-17-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 07:11 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

Also the fuel pressure regulator dumps fuel back in the tank so looking for a gas leak threw the gas cap will be almost impossible to determine if it is a leak or the return fuel. To tell if you have fuel pressure issues you need to get a fuel pressure test done. The tool is pricey but throwing money around at parts you don't need will add up.

http://www.pdi-racing.com/fuel-tool-...QaAuvlEALw_wcB

Old 07-16-2017, 07:52 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

So, with a big screwdriver, you push the hinge down and back, correct?

Quick Reply: In Tank Vuel Lines