Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I was told it wouldn't run right

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 07:02 PM
duster44t@aol.com
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I was told it wouldn't run right

Ok, I'll try to explain this as best I can.
I have a 07 Heritage and I put V&H twin slash slip-ons to it a while back. I thought they a bit loud so I installed the quiet baffles also. It ran fine and I was happy but recently I ended up with a Screamin Eagle cone style air intake. I was always told that you need to put a FuelPak on it with the air intake and exhaust change so it will run without issues(because of taking in more air, etc.). Well I finally came across a FuelPak and I got to work with the install. To fast forward.......it was running just fine with the trio (mufflers, intake, and FuelPak) until the Pak took a crap and I was dead in the water on the side of the road. So, just to get it home we removed the Pak and it runs like a top without the Pak at all. The only thingon it is the mufflers and the big air intake. I was always led to believe that it would run like crap without the Pak. My only guess is maybe because of the quiet baffles???? Could that be it?.....thoughts?

Old 08-24-2016, 07:21 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

More air in & out due to the air cleaner & exhaust change makes the bike run lean because the ecm is fueling for less air (stock).

Running lean makes the bike run hot.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:34 PM
duster44t@aol.com
Advanced

I did notice it a bit hotter on my leg today.....lol

Old 08-24-2016, 08:16 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

I took off my K&N air cleaner which seemed to do nothing. I have Screamin Eagle slip ons and I do have a Superchips tuner that I left set to headers and HP air cleaner to run a little richer. Really, I cant tell the difference.
Runs good for me

Old 08-24-2016, 10:06 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,464 Likes on 4,044 Posts

It'll run fine in the idle and light cruise areas of the map....

But once outside the closed loop portions of the map, especially at extremes (altitude, heat, aggressive riding) you'll be very lean and that could cause issues....

Plus, if properly tuned... it will just run better...

Good luck..

Old 08-24-2016, 11:16 PM
balloo
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I had the same problem with my V&H fuel pak - - was installed after adding screaming eagle slip on and screaming eagle breather.
All was fine for several days, and then on a lonely road with no shoulder, it crapped out. Removed the fuel pak and ran fine.
Because I put it on to reduce heat, and was worried, I had the dealer remap the ecm.
Sent the fuel pak back to V&H, after some time they said they were testing it, they finally sent a new one, and suggested a bit different map. New map may have been because the ecm had been remapped.
This is a 2008 Heritage.
Now getting mid 40's mpg. all the time, and sometimes a bit more.
Good luck,
Balloo

Old 08-25-2016, 08:56 AM
duster44t@aol.com
Advanced

I'm not sure what I want to do....leave it alone, take the air filter off (back to the stock one), put a new FuelPak on it, or take it to the shop and let them run their magic on it. The fact that it's a bit hotter than before is in the back of my head.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:40 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,464 Likes on 4,044 Posts

Originally Posted by duster44t@aol.com
I'm not sure what I want to do....leave it alone, take the air filter off (back to the stock one), put a new FuelPak on it, or take it to the shop and let them run their magic on it. The fact that it's a bit hotter than before is in the back of my head.
My 2 cents...

I wouldn't leave it as is.

Put stock A/C back on would be good

Address the tune would be better

Let your wallet be your guide....

I personally don't like piggyback tuning devices, but there are several out there that won't break the bank and seem to work well.

I'm a PowerVision fan. Download a map from a reputable tuner and run a few auto tunes and you's be just one step below a dyno tune.. but own a 1st class tuner for any future mods or future bikes...

Old 08-25-2016, 09:46 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,621 Likes on 9,824 Posts

The basics of it is stoichiometric ratio It is something like 14.7:1 or 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel. So the more air in, the fuel has to be increased also. Lean= engine damage as well as too rich has its own form of damage. n The idea with carburetors is to get as close as possible to the Stoichiometric ratio, F.I. is more precise, and can get spot on , which is why the EPA loves EFI. The ideal ratio means less unburned fuel = less emissions pollution.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:52 AM
09fitz
Road Captain
Received 291 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by duster44t@aol.com
The bike I bought is set up similar to yours (done by pervious owner) but without the fuelpak. Done shortly before purchase. I had been away from bikes for years and am not very knowledgeable of the newer ones. I've ridden it about 1800 miles as is. They have been easy miles but I think it is running lean due to color of pipes.
I haven't had any luck coming across an independent so I think when the season starts winding down I'll take it to Harley and let them tune it and address a few other things. I also considered putting it back stock but don't figure I'll ride enough to make it worth while between now and then.

Quick Reply: I was told it wouldn't run right