Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes and cables package....where?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 06:17 PM
Jimmy55TX
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Apes and cables package....where?

Hello members! I just purchased a 2016 Heritage. I want to replace the bars with 16 inch apes. Does anyone know of a source to purchase the bars, cables and wire extensions as a kit? It is TBW, ABS, if that matters.

Jimmy

Old 10-06-2016, 08:00 PM
Sharkenator
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Try hill country customs. I purchased my handlebar kit from them and their prices and service were great. Good luck

Old 10-06-2016, 08:43 PM
Jimmy55TX
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
Try hill country customs. I purchased my handlebar kit from them and their prices and service were great. Good luck
Thanks but I bought from them once before and not impressed. Bars had scratches below the chrome and the cables were some crap from Taiwan. Won't buy from them ever again.

Jimmy

Old 10-07-2016, 02:53 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Burly Bars makes a cable set with everything you need that goes with their bars.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:58 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Buy Wild Ones bars and the cable/wire kit from Magnum Shielding, you won't find better quality. We just used this exact setup on a customer's '10 FLSTN. The bike came out great.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:55 AM
Jimmy55TX
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dfwhockey17
Buy Wild Ones bars and the cable/wire kit from Magnum Shielding, you won't find better quality. We just used this exact setup on a customer's '10 FLSTN. The bike came out great.
A riding buddy has the W1 on his. They have way too much pullback. Feels like a wheel barrel. He's changing his out too. 12.5 inches of pullback is just way too much for me. They look nicely made though. Thanks though.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:14 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy55TX
A riding buddy has the W1 on his. They have way too much pullback. Feels like a wheel barrel. He's changing his out too. 12.5 inches of pullback is just way too much for me. They look nicely made though. Thanks though.
Drag Specialties 1-1/4" Buffalo Touring Apes (16") have 10" pullback.
Cycle Smiths 16" Apes have 8.5" pullback

Old 10-08-2016, 12:25 PM
Berick
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

If you decide to go with Carlinis..... go +10" on throttles, brake and tranny. I went +8" on my 14's (except on the tranny I went with +10" cuz I wanted the extra slack) and have the perfect amount of slack on all cables and lines. Carlinis run tall though so you'd probably be fine with +8" on other manufacturers 16's.

The best way though is to mock up your bars on the bike and measure the shortage of your factory cables for the look you want. That's what I did and the results were perfect.

Magnum shielding has an awesome site for ordering your cables too. Just look up your bike and and then pick the cables that have the extra length you need.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:13 PM
Jimmy55TX
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dfwhockey17
Drag Specialties 1-1/4" Buffalo Touring Apes (16") have 10" pullback.
Cycle Smiths 16" Apes have 8.5" pullback
Gonna go with the Cyclesmiths. I like the swedge on them versus the halfazz way HCC does theirs. Ill just mock them up and take a WAG at the lengths.

I think some of these vendors are missing out on not selling kits. Based on how many threads there are asking about cable lengths they could attract of business selling the entire kit.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:03 PM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy55TX
Gonna go with the Cyclesmiths. I like the swedge on them versus the halfazz way HCC does theirs. Ill just mock them up and take a WAG at the lengths.

I think some of these vendors are missing out on not selling kits. Based on how many threads there are asking about cable lengths they could attract of business selling the entire kit.
The best way I have found is to mount the bars where you want them and then get an old extension cord to measure length needed. Run the cord the way you intend to route the cables and brake line. Mark the spot where it meets the controls and then measure. Keep in mind the cables and lines will make gradual bends, not sharp bends.
Or you can contact these guys.
http://www.hdbikeparts.com/
A buddy has used them twice, they do a pretty decemt job with lengths. Far better than most kits I have seen.
Most of the "kits" are generic and don't look right IMO. The kits are put together for bars of a certain height (ie...fits bars 14 to 16") with no regard to width, bar position (racked forward or back) or cable routing. A lot of guys I have seen who buy kits either have tight cables or a lot of slop.
The link I provided above is IMO the best "kit" as they take more into consideration than most.
Just my .02¢

Quick Reply: Apes and cables package....where?