Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Installation Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 08:20 PM
abadley
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Windshield Installation Question

Just bought the King-Size H-D Detachables Windshield Part # 57688-10 from another member on this forum. Looking at the installation instructions step 3 says to apply the protective clear tape.

Step 3 - Peel protective cover from adhesive side of clear tape. Center tape over front panel trim piece, attach tape to trim piece, wrap tape edges around trim piece and attach to back of trim piece. Leave the protective tape on the trim pieces after kit installation.

Is this needed? Is it to prevent scratches on the paint? Wondering if I should buy some clear protective tape so I can wrap the trim pieces as mentioned in step 3. For the guys that have installed this windshield did you apply the tape?

Thanks all!

Old 01-17-2017, 06:55 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 752 Likes on 460 Posts

I think this tape is more to protect the windshield surface than the painted brackets.

There is a little bit of adjustment room where the mounts connect to the windshield.
If you don't have anything on the brackets to protect the shield the brackets might scratch it.

Also a pointer; leave all the mounting screws loose until you install the shield.
Then once installed tighten down what screws that you can access, then take the shield off and tighten down the rest.

Last edited by Bluraven; 01-17-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:12 AM
abadley
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bluraven
I think this tape is more to protect the windshield surface than the painted brackets.

There is a little bit of adjustment room where the mounts connect to the windshield.
If you don't have anything on the brackets to protect the shield the brackets might scratch it.

Also a pointer; leave all the mounting screws loose until you install the shield.
Then once installed tighten down what screws that you can access, then take the shield off and tighten down the rest.
Thanks for the response. I'm actually referring to the bike itself not the windshield. All the brackets are already attached to the windshield. Attaching the mounting bushings to the bike forks it says to put clear protective tape on first.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:41 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

When I installed the windshield on the SlimS, I used the protective film.

It's very easy to miss the bushings and hit the side when installing the windshield. The film does protect, especially non chrome surfaces.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:09 AM
abadley
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hspring03
When I installed the windshield on the SlimS, I used the protective film.

It's very easy to miss the bushings and hit the side when installing the windshield. The film does protect, especially non chrome surfaces.
I get it now. Thanks!

Old 01-17-2017, 02:18 PM
Fatboy16S
Cruiser
Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

Just not ready for a windshield yet. I have been looking at them and am afraid they will change the ride to much. Rode a few Street Glides before pulling the trigger on the Fat Boy S. No regrets so far. Have wanted one since Arnold stole one in 91 and drove it off the overpass in T2.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:39 PM
abadley
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Fatboy16S
Just not ready for a windshield yet. I have been looking at them and am afraid they will change the ride to much. Rode a few Street Glides before pulling the trigger on the Fat Boy S. No regrets so far. Have wanted one since Arnold stole one in 91 and drove it off the overpass in T2.
I only wanted mine for highway and long trips. At 80mph without the shield my arms get tired after awhile. I'm like a big sail on the bike! I like the quick detach so around town I can take it off. Plus the dark tint from the LRS shield with the black brackets look pretty good on the bike.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:46 PM
Fatboy16S
Cruiser
Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

The same film came with my swing arm saddle bag which I did apply. Not sure if HD sells replacement film by itself or not? It is nothing more than a heavy duty tape cut specifically into the shape of the install location.